Are you the gong bearer in the morning?

The gong - A picture of a gong and its stick.
Singapore
Do you know what a gong is? If not, look at the attached picture. A gong bearer is one who hits the gong. In ancient China, these people would go around the houses every 2 hours and hit the gong to announce the time. They are like our modern alarm clocks. :P My Mum is the one who performs this "duty" in my house. All of us would let her know what time we need to wake up and she will go around waking us up at the requested timings. Sounds easy? I assure you not! Not if you have to wake up at different timings and have your sleep repeatedly interrupted. If you are a wife, you might be waking your husband up for work. If you are a Mum, you might be waking your children up for school. If you are a guy, you are probably just lazing and waiting to be woken up lol. So who does the duty of the gong bearer in your house? Or does each individual wake up on his own without needing anyone to nudge him? Do share your thoughts. ;-)
Hi! Funny you thought about this topic just at the moment I was deciding whether to wake my mom up or not. She said we were gonna have a chat today but she is not online. Then as I was browsing for interesting topics, there you were right before my eyes. Well anyway, I am a gong bearer. I hit the gong for the kids. The others in this house have their own "gongs" with annoying tones. Set off at different times. How I wish they could just plug it in their ears. Good day and happy posting!
Yea yea, I read your mind! ;P
That would definitely be me! I am always up early. I am never in bed before midnight and I'm always up before five, usually between four and four-thirty. I delight to spend the first couple of hours on my own, reading God's Word and talking with Him. My husband usually sleeps until he wakes, which can be anything from six thirty until eight, but if he wants to get up earlier, he lets me know and I wake him. When my five sons were younger I always woke them at the appropriate times, but they were never difficult to wake. Like me, they are early risers.
Wow, you are one early riser! I am more of an owl myself.
@crackhead (1826)
My mom does the gong bearer job in my house when we plan for a vacation. She just lets us all know what time we have to be ready early in the morning. She comes up to each and every one wakes them up and go on with her work. Again after few mins she comes back and checks weather we are up and getting ready. I do stay in bachelors room and here i do the gong bearer duty cause we all love to sleep and i stay almost all the time infront of the computer so i dont get much sleep for myself. When ever some one wants to wake up early in the morning they do switch on the alarms but still some one have to make sure that they are awaken in time.
Do make sure you get enough rest yourself. :P
@teison2 (5924)
• Norway
We do not have a gong bearer in our house. my partner needs to get up at 6 in the morning to go to work. he does this willingly and smiling. He loves to get up early, and needs noone to wake him. Noone could wake him either, because the only other living thing in our home is me. I am a night person. I wake up when I wake up. If I cannot sleep until I wake up by myself i do not work that day. The gong bearer is not needed or wanted in our home. (but if he or she showed up we'd treat him/her with respect.)
A very disciplined partner you have there! ^^
@redfang (969)
yep i think i am the gong bearer in our household, i wake up most morning at 6am, i come downstair and sit and play poker for an hour and post on mylot then at 7am i go up and wake up the 14 year old, i come back downstairs and then i go back up at 7:15 to give her her second warning to get her back side out of bed if i didn't do this i could guarentee she would stay asleep and not bother getting up, i also do the breakfast and getting the youngest washed and dressed ready for school. all in a day work for a house dad.
Play poker?... online?
@yanjiaren (9050)
At the moment it's my hubby whokeeps saying qi chuang la..every morning!1 I am the lazy one..when I am in u.k then I am the gong bearer lol..btw I learnt how to hit that gong when I was learning to play the chinese drums in London..that is fun..One day I want to buy one..but in u.k the sizeI want is 1500 bucks!!!!
You, barbie, are a da lan zhu! :P
That would be me. LOL Me and my husband live apart right now since he's in Florida on a job. He just can NOT wake up with an alarm clock so he requests a wake up call and I do it every single night. The only problem is that it's in the middle of the night (2am-3am) that he needs to get up so I am waking myself up and calling him to wake him up. Then, of course, I have to get the kids up for school in the morning.
A wake up call! I have 3 alarm clocks but I still need a gong bearer lol. :P
@tammyr (5969)
• Etowah, Tennessee
I have the pleasure of waking my daughter. It is not an easy task. But my momma always said,"One day your kids will repay you for what you've done!!" And she has doubled up on th repayment! I also have a friend that calls when she has had her cup of coffee. She calls me to be sure I get up. I am still the Queen of sleepy heads, and I have not yet given the title to my daughter!
That's nice. ^^
@byfaithonly (10716)
No question at all, I am the gong bearer in our family, although I've never heard that saying until just now - learned yet another thing on myLot. I have my entire life been the first up in the family, rarely do I need an alarm clock because even though I set it I will be awake before it goes off. I really miss my grandmother who passed away 3 years ago, she was also a 'gong bearer' and would often call me very early in the morning just because as she put it in her southern drawl "well I knew you would be awake"... Christmas morning at my house is not a gong though - it's Elvis singing Christmas carols full blast until the kids wake up :) They threatened at one time to distroy that tape but guess they decided that might not be such a good idea because they never did. LOL even at 6 inches taller than me they still have a little "fear of Mom".
Well, it is really an occupation in ancient China - that is true. I just made the connection so I guess you can say I somewhat coined the term for the modern human alarm clock. :P "Fearsome" and "Faith" are alliteration, are they not? :PP
@jmcafam (2891)
I tend to be the gong bearer in my home. First I make sure that I at least get to the bathroom before I wake anyone up. My kids get woken up and then the hubby. My mom used to wake my sister and I up by playing really loud music.
Good measure. Once people start waking up, you need to join the queue. :P
@Marie2473 (8523)
• Sweden
In my house there is just me and my bf. he usually has to get up earlier than me to go to work, so he sets his alarm on his mobile and i set mine - however I do not need to set mine coz I always get up from his since he is insisting on snoozing for about half an hour, wich means that his alarm goes of 2-5 times and that just makes me wide awake. I´ve always had troubles falling asleep and getting back to sleep after beeing awaken is even harder.,. So even if I don´t start work until late - i get an earlie start of my day - wich sometimes can be nice - and sometimes just a big pain =)
That's the "trouble" when you are not alone. You get woken up by others' alarms. :P
@samrat16 (2442)
My wife plays part of alarm clock for me. She wakes me up by a strong kick on my back then she always shouts on me for being late in gym and cardio. She hates when I deny for jogging in morning. I wake up sometimes early when I have slept real early and wasn't tired too.
Ouch! :P
@Denmarkguy (1845)
When I was little (and up to when I was perhaps 16-17) my aunt was the "gong bearer" in the family. And I might add, she literally had a gong.... this is back when we were still living in Denmark. However, we weren't afforded the luxury of individual wake-up times. There were basically two "bells;" first was the early warning that you'd better wake up and get washed; the second bell was to signify that breakfast was on the table. These days, I rely on an alarm clock's annoying electronic beep to get me going in the morning.
LITERALLY? You mean she had a real gong to hit? Wow cool!
@Ravrockin (281)
i own wake up by my mobile alaram.i also want to know you that this gong are used in are prayer time also to worship our god.
This gong is not unique. Different places is it for different purposes. Just like temples may have bells - we have bells for bicycles too. Just an example.
@greengal (4288)
Ah that I am!! My hubby has to be at work by 8 and he has to leave home by 7:30. For some reason he seems to set the alarm to 6 or earlier and I am the one who wakes up when the alarm doesn't seem to stop even after a whole minute (which seems like a zillion years early morning..lol) I shake my hubby vigorously so he will wake up and turn off the alarm which is on his side of the bed...then he wakes up at around 7..I tell him to set the alarm to atleast 6:45 but no, he won't listen and 6 it is. So I'm the gong bearer no doubt!
*wink*
@joy358 (491)
My mom holds the honor of "sounding the gong" in our house. She wakes up very early to prepare breakfast and everything else int the house then she just wakes us up when its ready so that all we have to do is eat and go to school. I know my mom is an angel. LOL! When there's no class though she wakes us up early to start the household chores, she's no angel then but a real slavedriver... LOL!
Hey, it is not easy being the gong bearer. :P
@jennybianca (12918)
We are all gongs in our house. We all have to get up at different times. My husband is a shift worker. When he is on day shift he gets up at 5.30am, & tries not to wake me. I gong myself & my daughter at 6.50am. Some days, she has to take the bus top school, so I am the gonger agaion, at 6.30 am. On tuesdays she has to do early moring swimming training, so I gong myself & daughter at 5.00am. When my husband is on afternnon shift, he doesn't get up until around 10 am, I have to make sure my early mornng gonging doesn't wake him.
A very busy gong, you are. :P
@socorban (651)
Im no Gong bearer, im a sped in the morning and have a heck of a time getting up. Curse that snooze button, ive gotton to the point i seem to hit in in my sleep and wake up late anyway. I have to put my alarm clock away from my bed so im forced to get up and walk to it to hit the snooze or just shut it up. When i was young and lived with my parents my little sister was the gong bearer, she was an early morning person and would walk in and turn my lights on to get me out of bed. Ah the good old days.
Try getting a few alarm clocks and put them at different corners of the room. If you need to get up to hit snooze, it might help you wake up. ;-)
@winterose (39929)
I am the one in my house but right now no one needs to get up at a certain time anymore.
@DeaXyza (577)
ooohhhhhhh wizard lucky you getting woken up by your mother! The last time my mum woke me up was several years ago the last was in my 12th grade after that I have woken up all by myself all the time. My mum's policy was if you do not wake up by yourself it means you are not having anything resposible to do (meaning either it is a day off or you just don't care) well anyway whatever the case she would never wake me up, she said I was grown up enough to get up all by myself and I should be responsible enough. Well I did get used to it, and now I wake up all by myself or else the Gong set in my cellphone wakes me up automatically everyday even if I oversleep. My husband also wakes up all by himself otherwise he too has a Cellphone Gong that will wake everyone up! So for me it is either the nature (bio - clock inside my body) or the technology that is a Gong. When I used to work all my colleagues who used to travel at early hours in the morning would ask me to wake them up so that they could catch their flight so I was the sweet talking Gong for most of my friends and colleagues; I would not let my friends put the phone down till I hear them brush! ( this was an insurance that they do not go back to sleep) and I had a perfect record of nobody ever missing their flights or trains! So that's me;)
I set my own alarms (3) when I need to wake up too. Usually I will wake up before she comes or wait "in anticipation".
@DeaXyza (577)
how sweet waiting in anticipation, do you surprise hug her and greet her with a hearty good morning too?
Nah. I am too tired to do those things. :P