An inexpensive flea bath

Dawn Dishwashing Detergent will remove fleas instantly. I used this last week, when my little Yorkie decided to follow the big dog into the woods. She came back just covered in sand fleas. Use it just like shampoo and the fleas will fall off. Just be sure and rinse your pet well to avoid skin irritations!
@Denmarkguy (1845)
That's a really good tip to have, especially now that flea season is around the corner. I presume it's OK, in terms of not removing all the natural oils from the dog's skin. It's always nice to know about inexpensive home remedies like this-- beats the heck out of spending $12 for a bottle of some "special" shampoo from the vet!
I actually checked with our vet. He said it really will reduce the fleas. You just have to be sure and rinse them well so as not to cause skin irritations.
@mari61960 (4895)
Wow that's great. I wish I knew about it two years ago ..lol We had a really bad flea problem. It took almost a month to get rid of them. We have birds, ferrets, cats, dogs and hermit crabs, so we can't use flea bombs or anything like that for the house. Last year I was in Maine on vacation with my chihuahua and we were at a cookout. When we got in the car to leave he was covered in fleas. I had to find a pet store and buy flea shampoo. I wish I had known then too...lol I hope we don't get them like that again.
Oh know! Baby gets them when she follows the big dogs into the woods. I have to immediately pick her up so she doesn't touch the carpet. I sure don't want them in my house.
When they rescue wildlife from oil spills and oilfield accidents, Dawn is what they use to clean them up and save them. Good product. One of my favorites.
Thank you so much for sharing this trick. Dawn diswashing detergent is probably better to use on them anyways. Those flea shampoos have so many chemicals in them. I can't wait to try it!
you are quite welcome. It is also much less expensive than flea and tick shampoos, and goes further as well.
@Willowlady (10666)
This is so true. We use in on little kitties. We had one that was just crawling with those little bugs and we bathed the kitten in dawn and lemon to boot and watched the bugs just float. We washed twice and got alot of them. So much that the little kitty was able to eat and take a comfortable nap well more like a long sleep.:) We did not have to use any poisons on such a young creature. Thanks for sharing this so others can learn and begin to use this in between the stronger stuff so that our pets don't get so many poisons.
I also prefer the smell of Dawn to that of harsh flea shampoo's. Some of them have such a medicinal odor.
@villageanne (8554)
That is a great tip. You would have to use it at the onset of the fleas or they would already be in his beddin and the room as well. We got infested with fleas one year and I had to put cedar chips in my bed just so I could get a nights sleep. Took about 2 weeks to get them under control. It only takes one flea to start an army of them. :)
You are right. If Baby goes to the woods with the big dogs, she gets a bath before she ever puts one foot onto the floor of my house. Even if I don't see a flea, we pretend like she has them!