Hilary's set a new fundraising record!

Something's not ringing true here--I always thought that Bill had the charisma and charm in the relationship, but the money that she's raising? I really have two opinions: 1) She's anticipating a HUGE battle or... 2) The contributors feel they're buying their way into the White House Considering that so many people are struggling in the US right now, I feel that the presidency has become a symbol of the extremely wealthy (more on that in another discussion)and the money could and should be used for more important things. Let's discuss this.
@Smith2028 (797)
I think most people are overlooking several key factors. 1) Bill Clinton is doing the fundraising. The donors to Mrs Bill Clinton are the same donors to Bill Clinton. The fundraisers are attended by both. 2) She had to transfer $10 million from her Senate war chest in order to inflate her numbers. 3) Obama has not released his numbers yet. 4) She has stated publicly she isn't taking Matching Funds so realistically she has only raised $18 million for the Primary. I think we will see her fundraising tail off as the election cycle progresses.
I believe that Obama has raised $20 million. And to think--JFK's daddy was supposed to have purchased his visit to the White House...I really think it's sad that we have starving people in the US, homeless people in the US but we worry about how money to raise to elect the next President!
Amazing...the day after I post this Obama comes out and says he has raised... $25 Million. Which is exactly what Hillary raised (this not including the $10 Million she already had and transfered from the Senate warchest)
I think your point #2 has always been the reason for large donations. The donars are always thinking of what they can benefit from getting that person into the White House.
Wasn't there a big investigation into the Clintons back during (I think) his first term, about guests that made large donations being able to sleep over the White House? I've really got to wondering about this today (hence the discussion)...can't people spend their money on something constructive???
@soccermom (3200)
There is no doubt that Hillary is not very charismatic, personally I can't stand to even listen to her speak. But I think that if she weren't Bills wife she'd be having a harder time raising money, I see her as "riding on his coattails" so to speak. It would be nice if money weren't part of hte equation, but unfortunately this is what American politics has come to.
Glad to see someone else is seeing something kinda...fishy going on! I do believe that her ultimate goal was to get back into the White House...but it'll be a while yet before Chelsea is old enough to run for President (thank goodness!)