A Diabetic Dilemma...

I was watching the 10 O'Clock news like I usually do when an interesting story came across the screen that made me upset. The reigning "Mr. Natural Universe," which is basically a bodybuilding title for those who are not enhanced by drugs. He was at the movie theater in a town here in the San Francisco Bay Area called Redwood City and was kicked out by a security guard for being "drunk" or on some kind of substance. Then the police came and shot him with pepper spray and beat him because they say he was resisting arrest... Of course, Mr. Burns, the man in question, is a type 1 diabetic and his blood sugar was dangerously low, according to some paramedics who arrived on the scene. Mr. Burns was apparently without his medical alert bracelet, which was in his pocket... Apparently, according to the police reports, Mr. Burns was threatening, pushed a police officer over, and took a "fighting stance." According to Mr. Burns, he was losing motor skills and even if he were in a "fighting stance" he wouldn't have looked very threatening or solid on his feet... the worst part? I can understand if the police thought he was threatening, then they had to do what they had to do. He is a large gentleman, of course. But the stupid Redwood City D.A. is going ahead with two misdemeanor charges on Mr. Burns, for resisting arrest and for assault... are you kidding me? Does anyone else see this as wrong? read the story here: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,263503,00.html
@callarse1 (4796)
I am very surprised that the police would charge this man with anything since he was under a medical condition. For example, I remember when I was in a class this girl had lost her balance due to not taking her medication and she hit into some students. It would seem ridiculous for them to file charges since it was due to a medical condition. Plus, since the police generally search people (pockets, etc) I am surprised that they didn't find his bracelet in his pocket. I believe their charges are wrong since it appears that no one was actually hurt. Thank you for your post. Have a nice day Pablo
You brought up an excellent point, Pablo. Don't the police usually check pockets when they arrest someone? couldn't they have found the medical alert bracelet? I definitely believe these charges are unwarranted and a slap in the face for people with medical ailments everywhere. Thanks for your reply!
i cant believe they are going to charge him!!! thats ridiculous! diabetic shock is serious!! and this is a waste of tas payers money, and after the cause was was medically proven, it should have been dismissed without hesitation! things like this just disgust me...
It's nice to know I'm not being unreasonable... (cause I can be at times... lol) Isn't this terrible? The worst part to me is that they are still charging him. I couldn't believe it when I heard it, I thought they were kidding.
@vebela (310)
This situation is very unfortunate, and a really big injustice, not just to Mr. Burns, but to everyone with diabetes. Here are my thoughts... First of all, I don't blame the police for the actions they took. The situation did present itself as dangerous, and because the medical bracelet was not seen, they had no indication that Mr. Burns could have possibly been in diabetic shock. However, I do feel that after that medical information was found, and the paramedics found that his actions were a result of diabetic shock, an apology from the police should have been in order. But, by the D.A. charging him with resisting arrest and assault, it's just adding insult to injury, like rubbing salt in a wound. These actions have been very insensitive not only to Mr. Burns, but also to everybody who has to live with diabetes. The D.A., in essence, is saying that it doesn't matter that he was not consciously aware of his surroundings or his actions. The D.A. is saying that it doesn't matter that this whole thing was a misunderstanding and was caused by a medical emergency. The D.A. is saying that diabetes and diabetic shock aren't real medical conditions that could cause people to lose control of their bodies. It's utterly ridiculous!