How to lessen baby"s crying?

My grandchild is more likely a crying baby most of the time. What do you think is the best to lessen his crying. I gave him toys to attract his attention and get busy. I asked the mother to let him be alone in his crib. Am I correct? Though I had my own child, but that was several years ago. This is my first grandchild. I need advices please!
@mememama (3077)
Babies need to be held, you can not spoil a baby. Here is a link why a baby shouldn't cry it out www.askdrsears.com/html/10/handout2.asp Maybe the baby is going through a growth spurt and is more hungry than usual, maybe it's gas, or he is wanting attention-which is not bad at all. That's how babies learn how to interact.
@mnflower (1305)
I am not a grandmother but yes crying is good for them, if they are not hungry or wet and just cry for attention holding them will just spoil them too much and they will always cry to be held. I am a baby cuddler and I fall short of letting them cry just cause I don't like to hear a baby cry hard..too me if they cry they need love and attention and that is what i do my bad cause i know that it is not always the right thing to do.
It all depends on the reason the baby is crying. He may be hungry, tired, have an upset tummy, have a dirty diaper. Have you or the mother tried bouncing him? My son was colicky for a while when he was an infant, crying because of an upset tummy. We found that, for this problem, Gerber's Gentle Naturals tummy drops seemed to help out a lot.