Name droppers

@ElicBxn (60762)
How do you feel about these people, have you ever done it? I've done it, but its not something I really wanted to do, once I was rather forced to & once I just name dropped all over someone that I didn't realize until after I had done it, I had just name dropped all over her name dropping! The first time was about 25 yrs ago. There was a young fellow who was joining the church I belonged to & he asked us to run him by his place to get something. We ran into his father just as we got there. This guy had his trophy wife on his arm & a tennis racket in his hand. He was really rather snotty to my friend & I while we waited for his son. I mentioned that I knew a good tennis player after he said something condesending to us about tennis - more to indicate that I wasn't tennis illeterate like he seemed to think. "Oh, and who do you know?" he asked. I named the family friend. That seemed to deflate him considerably. "Oh, you do know a good tennis player, he's the top senior amatur in the circut." I really hadn't wanted to tell him, like I said, I mostly just wanted him to know I knew something of the sport - I had even taken a semester in college - enough to know I have NO depth percetion. It didn't make me feel good to name drop, but it did make me feel good to see this jerk taken down a few pegs. He even admitted he expected me to name some friend that burned up the weekend court at the neighbor park. I'll tell the other story in another post.
@seamonkey (1981)
I don't really like doing it, but sometimes a certain subject will come up and I will have something to add. It is the curse of where I grew up, family associations, and connections I have made on my own. Usually I just try to keep my mouth shut because I am a VERY casual person and don't look as though I could have possibly lived in certain places or known certain people, 'bad' connections as well as, 'good'. I think people probably assume I am telling tall tales that can't be verified, so I try to just leave it.
@ElicBxn (60762)
I can understand about people assuming that you are telling tall tales. Maybe that's part of why I don't care to do it, because my cercumsatances aren't those that make it look like I could know these people, & I never really wanted to "hang out" with that crowd. I belonged to a group of misfits in high school & I was, really, perfectly happy with this group, I didn't need important friends to be happy.
@seamonkey (1981)
Hear hear! I remember my grandfather telling me old money doesn't flash it and I think that is very true. You're in a muddy field in rubber boots with dogs!
@Woodpigeon (3710)
I go walking with a group of friends and none of them do that, ever. Once in a blue moon another lady joins us and she is so desperate (at least that is the way it appears) for people to like her, that everything she says seems to be an attempt to impress. Everyone she knows is so important, every book she has read is the latest and most definitive, the way she is rearing her child is the best way, her trauma has the most drama...it just gets so tedious. It's a real shame because she every once in awhile calms down and behaves 'normally' and she is really quite likable then.
@ElicBxn (60762)
That is so true. I guess that is why name droppers are so much of a pain. They put on airs about being important when most people just want a real person to talk to.
@towongfoo27 (2989)
I would have little issue with name dropping, especially if the perv was a creep. In fact, that would have inclined me to even more. I name drop when I need to and I do not see the problem. Is it against social ettiquette or something? Please! Some people just need to be put in their place, and if dropping a name does the job, I say go for it. I would have enjoyed seeing the sneer disappear on his face, too, especially if he was related to "Whytey." Do unto others first, so they do not do unto you later! lol
@ElicBxn (60762)
I find that most people that name drop are trying to get, how to say this, borrow fame, from the person he's dropping the name of. I do agree that some poeple need to be put in their place, and as I showed in my two stories.
@winterose (39922)
Unless you are doing it to show off I do not see a problem with it. If you need to identify somebody you need to identify them it is as simple as that to me.
@ElicBxn (60762)
I'm glad to hear that. Like I said, I just wanted to show this guy I knew something about the sport, that I could talk, "lobs" and "aces" and "rushing the net." On the other hand, it was nice to see the sneer wiped off his face.
I don't see anything wrong with that. It is just a matter of getting the conversation going. Like me, when there is somebody around who is so interested in tennis, I'd surely talk about the more recent tournaments I know and the players therein that got my attention. If this will make a good conversation piece, fine, if I notice that it will not be good, then I will drop it. Talking to people with their interest taking the center of it, will usually generate friendship or, at least we get to know them better.
@ElicBxn (60762)
I was willing to talk about tennis, but he just was so snotty, like - you can't possibly know anything. What pissed me off was that his trophy wife was probably less than 10 yrs older than I was at the time. I know of a few cases where guys remarry younger women, one case where even his kids didn't blame him for divorcing their mother, she is nuts (both still living.) If he hadn't been so condecending, I probably wouldn't have felt justified to name drop.
I didn't see anything wrong with what you did. You weren't trying to get one up on him,just knock him down a peg which is something he needed
Good for you for poking a hole in that windbag!!! I grew up in a very snobby town, in an extremely snobby state, and the need some people have to appear adequate is astounding. I remember being at parties where the kids would get together (out of sight, usually) and keep score as all the parents went into name-dropping frenzies. Really rather funny to us then, now it's just annoying unless it truly adds something to the conversation.