Do you help the elderly?

Like open doors, help them across the street, mow the grass for free, or just help them get a project done.
@villageanne (8579)
Yes we do and always have. My husband even cleans the snow off their cars when he gets home from work at 5 AM. They know who it is that is doing it but he never says a word. He just does it and comes on home. We always check on the elderly neighbors when it is really hot or really cold too.
That's a really good idea, I worry they are going to slip and fall on the ice sometimes and wish they would hold on to my arm, while walking. We live in a old military town, that has a lot of fall out shelter's in the backyards, and the stairs are very very steep. Well last week it rained all week and the water had to be pumped out of the shelter's, so that's what we did last weekend for our elderly neighbor's.
@hoghoney (3751)
yes I help the elderly I have worked with the elderly most of my life I just love them and I love to listen to them talk about stuff in the day. I have a shop where I live and some of the elderly people in the town that I live in will come in and just sit and talk and visit with me somedays.
That must be very enjoyable and how I envy you. The stories they can tell, to them wasn't long ago, but then you hear it was 10-15 years ago is amazing. And when you hear about there late husband's, and I feel like it was true love, how they must really miss them. Oh, by the way I love your dancing pig too.
@carlaabt (3509)
I used to always help my grandma out. And another older lady that lived across the street from my parents. I don't really anymore, though. I just don't know anyone. I live on a military base, so there aren't any elderly people here for me to see. We see them occassionally when we are shopping offbase, but usually they don't look like they need help. And also, I have my baby with me, so I wouldn't really be able to help them much anyway.
Sometimes just listening or talking with them is a very good choice. It seems as though everyone is such a hurry these days, just listening to someone in the grocery or department store to pass the time of waiting in line. Or sitting at Wal-Mart at McDonald's and having a simple drink. Because older people get tired easily and will stop and have a rest there while shopping. This is from a lot of experience of shopping with the elderly.
@lilaclady (28277)
I have spent a lot of time with the elderly, they are wonderful to be around and I try and help them as much as possible, it is the least anyone can do, we may all need a little help in time, so we should give of ourselves while we are able.
I agree totally with you and I am much the same way. She has some stories to tell and she is such a good bargain shopper, everyday she will come home with lots of things she only spent a dollar on that has $10-30 dollar tickets on. I know because I tried to exchange something and it was impossible, because they didn't have it anymore.
yes i do help the elderly much more if they are very old and carrying their heavy stuff and thinking that if can they cross the street with their feet. i help them, because i felt pity for them and i respect the elderly.
yes i do help elderly and specially if they look very old and you can see that they are having trouble thinking if they will passed against the road while carrying their bag and stuff. i carry their things and i help them to cross the road. i feel pity for them.