Bug time again

By Raz
@razcal2267 (15577)
With all the insects that will be out and about soon I was wondering what you use when you get bit. I find that a baking soda paste works best for me: 3 teaspoons baking soda to 1 teaspoon water. Then I apply that mixture to the bite or sting several times a day until it is no longer bothersome.
@stephcjh (32385)
It all depends on what bites me as to what I use to put on it. If I get stung from a bee or wasp, I use peroxide to help ease the burning sensation and to clean out the bite. If I get bitten by a mosquito, I use peroxide on it to get clean the bite out and then i put some calamine lotion on it, to help keep it from itching me. If I get bit by a tick, then I put some peroxide, calomine lotion and methiloade on it to help heal it quicker and clean out the bite.
@razcal2267 (15577)
Thank you for adding that is important to clean the bite area. There are so many people that forget to do that. I am happy to say that I have never been bit by a tick or wasp. I actually started to use the remedy that I do when I was stung by a bee for the first time. My grandmother made the mixture for me and I have sworn by it ever since.
@villageanne (8579)
We have always used the baking soda paste too. It has been used in my family as long as I can remember. I just dont see any need to purchase the commercial stuff when this works and is so much cheaper
@razcal2267 (15577)
Honestly, if something more expensive worked I would gladly pay the price as I can not stand itching. I am very happy that the cure for me is on the inexpensive side though I must confess.
@Debs_place (10551)
I think I am too mean and ornery..I never get bit. Last mosquito bite must have been 7 or 8 years ago. I have only been stung by bees/wasp twice in my life...so I am no plan of attack for them.
@razcal2267 (15577)
I wish I could say that I was that lucky.Usually but the end of June I am covered in mosquito and other little annoying bites.
@sweetlady10 (3620)
In the summer I hate this fact of bug the most. I am lucky that till now in our appartment there is no mosquito like some other appartments. But when ever we go to park or somewhere to play out side we get mosquito bite. I have never tried baking soda, but I am going to use this summer for sure. This is so inexpaensive. Thank you for sharing this.
@wolfie34 (26877)
I can't afford to get stung especially by a wasp, one sting from a wasp is potentially lethal to me and it can in theory kill me, so that means I'll have to get my epipen out of the medicine cabinet again and always have it on me! Thankfully I am not allergic to bees. Gnat bites are the worst, and I know it sounds daft but putting toothpaste on a bite stops the itching!
@brokentia (10396)
Hydrocortizone for me. I can not stand itching! It drives me crazy! When I get bit by a mosquito and I itch it, it will take forever to go away!!! And I also have to use Benedryl because my youngest son when he gets bit by a mosquito, he will swell up with a very large lump! So, I have to keep anti-itch cream and allergy medication on hand during the bug season.
@deebomb (15347)
For mosquiteo or ant and chigger bite I always use Aveeno, a Jhonson & Johnson product for iching. It always works for any itching I have and it works so fast and so well that most of the time only one application is neccessary. I don't like to be any more miserable than is needed. I know that there are a lot of home remedies that work very well but this is the best for me.