Have you ever been it debt?

I just got a very irratating phone call. The woman told me I have $4000 worth of unpaid doctor bills. She went on to threaten me with stuff like "If you don't pay the full amount soon, we will sue you and garnish your husbands wages." Well, can they acctually do that? I told her I could pay $100 a month and she said, "no, we cannot accept that." I always thought that it was illegal for debt collecters to threaten you if you are trying to pay. What are your thoughts on this?
I know that in Canada they need to take you to court in order to garnish your wages. I've had an a$$hole creditor calling me stating he can do a wage assignment on a $2500 debt and that he was going to do that if I didn't pay. I've told him to screw off and am dealing with debt management.
I should tell them the same thing.
@darkzzt (760)
best thing is just not to get into debt in the first place. i think they arent suppose to be threatening but they will get angry if you dont pay back fast enough
i guess, they are not threatening you she is sayn that they can sue you which is not illegal
I have been in debt before and as far as I know , you are right , they are not allowed to threaten you but this will not stop them from trying . If they continue to harass you I would start with my own threat and see if they back off . You can remind them that this is all you can afford and if they expect more from you then you have then you will have no choice but to claim bankrupcy on them . This should warn them to watch as when you claim bankrupcy they will be out a lot of money . You don't actually have to do this but it should stop some of the harassing calls from some of them . Best of luck !!