Sausages

@shelagh77 (3643)
I always bake sausages in the oven, and am always horrified by the amount of fat which seeps out of them. A friend of mine still fries them because she says grilling them makes an awful mess, so I thought I would pass on the tip of cooking them in the oven. If you turn them every ten minutes or so they cook in their own fat, which you can strain off, and they really do taste nicer as well as being a healthier way to eat sausages.
@gabs8513 (48803)
I prefer mine grilled and if I do fry them then I will only use Olive oil as I do all my fried Meat in Olive Oil, it taste better and of course it is healthier and the good thing you do not use as much as you do on normal Oil
@shelagh77 (3643)
I don't mind them grilled but a) I don't like cleaning the grill pan, b) I often have so many people to cater for I would never get finished and c) and most importantly, I get distracted easily and sausages catch fire, don't you know? We don't have a smoke alarm for nothing. So usually now I do most cooking in the oven and Other Half bought me a cute toaster. As to olive oil, the only thing I cook with olive oil is mackeral (no pun or getting at you) as this fish is absolutely DIVINE cooked in this way. I may try olive oil with meat, but I think it will be a little too rich for me, but thank you for the idea :-)
@gabs8513 (48803)
Well I know your Mind wanders so I agree with you there lol No mine doesn't I know your Smoke Alarm works to lol so does Gissi he comes home with Ear ache hahaha ok ok I am only joking,(I think hehehehe )
@Munira (484)
Great tip. I'm going to try it. Quick question. What temporature and how to cook. I'm not really dieting. I am looking for changes that will reduce my calorie and fat intake on afew things. Ya have to start somewhere. Smiling
@shelagh77 (3643)
I usually cook the sausages from the fridge, not frozen, and pierce them and put them onto a flat non stick tray with upturned sides so that the oil does not run off, and cook them at the top of a number 5 gas oven, turning regularly so that the fat which comes out of them bastes them and keeps them moist. It usually takes about 20 minutes, 15 if the oven has already been heated. Good luck, and enjoy!
@Lakota12 (42794)
I will have to try that next time but I usually use my foreman grill takes all the grease away into a little tray
@shelagh77 (3643)
Wow! That sounds a great cooks' toy, I want one of those! Seriously, do they make them in the UK? I would still probably cook for the descending starvlings by using the oven for speed, but this little grill sounds extremely my sort of thing.
@kathy77 (7488)
Crumbed Sausages - crumbed sausages tastes lovely but half cook them first
Oh yes sausages always have a lot of fat that come out of them it is amazing the amount they have. Thanks for the tip I always drain them on paper towelling before I add anything to mine unless I am having them with a sandwich. But I certainly will try your idea here.
@shelagh77 (3643)
I hope you find that it is enjoyable. We had half a dozen surprise guests the other day and I just slung a load of sausages in the oven, an even greater quantity of potatoes in a saucepan of water, a few vegetables in another pan, and they were all very happily fed :-) The thing I like about meals such as sausages, mash and vegetables is that the mash soaks up any gravy so that if there are too many people to sit at a table everyone can eat al fresco without spills.
@lightningMD (5937)
oh ive never tried baking sausages before..do they still taste yummy? i'll have to give this a try...thanks for the great tip..
@shelagh77 (3643)
They sure do! If you take the trouble to keep turning them every ten minutes or so whilst they are cooking they baste in their own fat and the skins are taught and split when you bit them, but the sausage does not dry out on one side. I also cook fish fingers, chicken fingers and shaped chicken pieces on flat trays in the oven, avoiding the need for fat.
@sunshine4 (8710)
Let me give you another tip about cooking sausages. I always boil mine before cooking them on the grill or throwing them in spigetti sauce. By boiling them all the fat is released into the water. This way they aren't a mess on the grill. Also, when put in sause, they don't grease up your spigetti sauce.
@shelagh77 (3643)
Thank you, and I hope a lot of people will enjoy this tip. My neighbour, for whom I often cook, calls boiling sausages "the Scottish way" of cooking them and I have to confess I don't like them cooked that way. I like the skin to split as I sink my teeth into the sausage, I am afraid. As far as fact content goes though you are absolutely right and it is an excellent way of enjoying a treat which might otherwise be off the menu due to its high fat content.
@qouniq (1968)
i think we have a different sausages in my country compare with what you have there. Our sausages don't really have a fat and in fact don't have a fat at all i guess. It is because as far as i know when cooking my sausages i never seen the fat coming out of them. What i always do to my sausages is frying them and to add them with my stir fry vege with the oyster sauce. Other than that, we make them bbq. Nice to eat with my homemade mashed potato too.
@shelagh77 (3643)
You are very lucky if you get a very low fat content with sausages. To barbecue with mashed potato, ooooh luvverly! Do you sometimes grate some cheese into the mashed potato for a change, or add cooked onions?
Well, I have to say that first sentence just turned my stomach..lol. I haven't eaten sausage in years because of the fat. I know. My poor family. I am sure they may be less of a mess and easier in the oven, I am not so sure they would be less fattening if they are cooking in their own fat. That is just my opinion, I don't know for sure. But, I always fried sausage when making and hated to clean up the range afterwards. I have always been a bit of a healthy eater. After becoming wiser about fat, I have pretty much cut most fatty meats out of my family's diet. Now they have to sneak fattening food at work or school. See what I have reduced my family to for trying to be healthy? lol
@shelagh77 (3643)
ooooh, you know how to make absolutely sure nobody hops in a plane and dashes across the ocean on a visit, don't you! I think I must try that approach, it may result in fewer wandering hungry souls visiting! You are right, fat is very unhealthy. When I am able I buy speciality sausages from an excellent butcher and they have a lot less fat, but the shop bought ones, even those which are supposed to be of a better quality have an enormous amount of fat in them. Best skip this bit, if you are queasy about fat I tip the fat into silver foil cases left over from other meals, tip in some seeds and when the fat has set I either put it out for the wild birds or store it in the freezer for next winter. With my way I just have a dish to put straight into hot soapy water and no mess. and absolutely scrummedy dummedy sausages, yum!