DO NOT throw out those black bananas

When your bananas are black, just stick them in the freezer. When every you want to bake a bread or muffins, use them. Defrost in micro wave in the skin. They are so sweet. Also, after they are frozen, you can whip them with a tiny bit of milk, and eat as ice cream. It's great. Third, you can dip the frozen peeled banana into chocolate that you melted, and then roll it into cococnut flakes or chopped nuts, then freeze again.
@4cuteboys (4102)
That is a good idea about the banana bread and muffins, usually I just throw away the black bananas! And shame on you for talking about ice cream treats-lol now I must have one!
heheh, sorry. Just enjoy them and do not throw out the black bananas any more.
@1983tyler (508)
It's strange, but I never thought to freeze the blackened bananas. I have always used them or tossed them. I'll have to freeze them next time. Thanks.
@lightningMD (5932)
i never throw out bananas like my grandmother taught mw waste not want not...i try to live by that motto...i make banana muffins,bread,cakes and cookies or use them in shakes...sometime my family has no idea i snuck a fruit or veggie into some dishes...
That's a great idea. Thanks for sharing. I usually just throw them out. That always seems so wasteful to me. I'll have to save this so that I don't forget!
@TerryZ (22083)
Thats sounds really good. I usually make bannana bread when they get like that. And now Im going to try some of your ideas. Thanks for that great info. I love banannas.
@gabs8513 (48715)
Thank you for this Margie as this sounds a good Idea I always did throw them out and never thought of this
@brimia (6584)
I do the same thing. I like to buy the overripe discount bananas, peel them and throw them in the freezer. I use them in lots of baked goods and in smoothies.
@kathy77 (7488)
Yes well we never actually throw any food out especially bananas that can be used when they go black we still use them the same day when they are like this they still have many uses so do not waste your food, and they are very sweet this is true.
@mobyfriend (1019)
• Netherlands
I make smoothies with black bananas. Your idea of freezing them is great.
All of those are very good tips. I really hate to waste food of any kind. Bananas do not usually get the chance to go bad at my house, though, unless I do it on purpose. The banana puree is also good stirred into oatmeal. It makes it very naturally sweet and moist. If I am being lazy, instead of baking banana bread from scratch, I blend the bananas into a yellow cake mix, about two bananas, or three. I omit half the oil then.
@mari61960 (4895)
What a great idea. I'll have to pass it on. We always have to buy bananas because we can't keep them in the house long enough to turn black..lol We usually have to buy them at least once a week.
@Willowlady (10666)
Oh, Oh, I knew this one. They are indeed good after the skin goes black. The are so banana tasting that they are great in any recipe you wish to make. Except that banana split. lol. Thanks for reminding us since some think that they are gonners when blackened.
@raydene (9875)
Hi,I save my old bananas to make banana cookies,muffins,and bread.I mash them,freeze them in 1 cup containers so they can be dumped into the mix when baking...
@kgwat70 (13396)
Wow. I did not know all of these things. I will definitely remember this the next time I have black or almost black bananas. I thought that when they got black they were no good to eat. Thank you for bringing this up. It sounds really neat what can be done with these bananas even after being black.
@cabergren (1181)
When my banannas get that black I usually make bananna bread. I just love it. But the banannas have to be really black to be very good.
I love bananas and always eat at least one a day. Thanks for some different ways for me to enjoy them.
@patootie (3593)
Blimey .. my bananas never get a chance to get black .. they;ve been eaten long before that happens ... But on the odd occasion a banana does get forgotten I usually stick it into a smoothie or mash it up and use it like that .. but some good ideas there ..and I wouldn't have thought to freeze it until required ..
@pumpkinjam (5782)
Why would you throw them away? They're not ripe until they are black (apparently) and they taste more banana-y
@all4ucnc (861)
Another good one is use those over ripe bananas in your pancakes, The kids love them!