Does chocolate really help women when they are on their cycles?

It's mostly helps calm the cravings we have for chocolate. The cravings for some reason seem to increase during this time. Some want just plain old sweets, others want salted things and some want chocolate of any kind.
@towongfoo27 (2989)
I tend to crave chocolate, too, during my period. I think the previous response is right about the vitamin deficiency during the blood loss. As a reaction, women may try to compensate for it by eating a little more of the vitamins and minerals that we are losing in a few days time. I know I get tired during my period, and chocolate is a quick pick-me-up. Yet I hear protein is better, for it keeps your stomach fuller for longer periods of time, the energy is more even-keeled (so you don't get tired right away after a sugar-rush), and possibly replaces the iron (I think). I hate it when my body retains water though, because one person had the nerve to tell me my ankles looked "fat" during menstruation. Can you believe that? Doesn't eating salty foods retain more water as well? No wonder.. A woman doesn't want to mess with the balance of electrolytes in her body, but maybe eating food with less salt helps to deter the water weight. Just a thought. Interesting discussion.
i think some women it does-most of my friends say they do crave it.i always crave cheese,though,never chocolate.i wonder if it's a calcium deficency from blood loss or something..
@lols189 (4797)
i dont crave for anything neither chocolate when i am on my cycles. the reason being i dont know?