Have you ever tried modifications in your diet? If so did anything help at all?

I was wondering if anyone has tried modifying your diet to help ease the fibromyalgia pain and/or fatigue. (Hey, right now I'll take any improvement!:) ) I have read a lot about changing diet but there seems to be a lot of conflicting info. I consistently read about eliminating caffeine. That may be the worst for me. I love my morning cup or two of coffee. Has anyone else found this to make a difference? How about sugar intake? Anything else you have tried?
@kareng (7986)
I have eliminated sugar for the most part. Every now and then I have a candybar but I don't cook with sugar, take coffee black and don't eat many sweets. I think I feel better since going on the low sugar. I do like my coffee and have several cups a day. I don't think I could do without that. Soft drinks are not a problem for me either. I have maybe one or two a week. I would also like to hear more about the grains. I eat white bread mostly but love wheat bread too. I also have a good bit of carbs in the diet that should be toned down.
Sugar....I figured that one would be an elimination item. I have a bit of a sweet tooth...ok a little more than a bit :). I love to cook and bake and do it as much as fibro allows. This one will be hard also but if it works I am up for it. How did you manage to satisfy and sweet cravings? Or was that much of a problem for you? I actually think that I crave sweets A LOT more when I am really dragging.
@teison2 (5924)
• Norway
I do not have fibromyalgia, I have ME/CFS. I changed my diet drastically a few years ago. I believe it has helped a bit. I do not eat a lot of carbohydrates in the form of bread, pasta, rice, potatoes. I do not eat wheat or rhye - I feel worse if i do. I most always eat fresh food, or stuff that are prepared from scratch. No ready made sauces and things like that. I do not eat sugar either. It helps. I used to drink a lot of soda with caffeine. I hate to tell you that i felt better when I stopped this. I am happy to tell you though, that a cup of coffee or two a day seems to work ok for me. I think what you need to do is do a trial diet. Try to cut out one or a few things from your diet and see if it helps. Or go the other way - use a diet you are sure does not make you worse and add one thing you wonder about at the time. i think different things work ffor different people. maybe your diet is just fine
Wow. Thanks for the response. Luckily I don't drink soda at all so that is not a problem..I just have the coffee thing but you give me hope! :) The carbohydrates is where I have trouble. I am a vegetarian already and make almost everything from scratch but I eat quite a bit of the bread, pasta, rice, potato group AND everything is whole wheat...No wheat or rye for you huh? What about other grains or have you tried them? Was just wondering if it is specifically these two that give you trouble (sounds like it but I just wanted to clarify). Thanks!
@teison2 (5924)
• Norway
Rhye and wheat gives me the most trouble - together with sugar. I tolerate other grains better. The major problem i have with other types of grain is that I gain weight fast if i eat them - like with pasta, rice, potatoes. Something is not right with my methabolism. Not beeing able to excersise makes it hard to get it fixed. My boyfriend lost 20 kg when we changed our diet - I have gained almost as much, even if I eat right and not at all that much. Stupid illness this! A question: what are your major protein sources? I have a bit of trouble getting enough proteins with each meal - Meat and fish does not appeal to me much these days.
@teison2 (5924)
• Norway
One more thing: About sugar: In my experience it does not take that long before you do not crave it much. Now I find most things with added sugar or other sweetners taste too sweet. If you can get through the first couple of weeks ok I think you will not miss it that much - at least not if you feel better. I started eating more berries - frozen berries with yoghurt is almost as nice as ice cream. Or berries with oatley cream. Yum. eliminating things from your diet is a bit hard at first, but changes in your diet soon becomes a habit. maybe there is a class you can take. I know there are some around here - sometimes one needs a little inspiration or ideas as to what to eat instead of bread, rice and pasta for instance.
@missybal (4492)
I tried it and it didn't do a thing. On top of everything else I had headaches for quiting the coffee. I was miserable eating like a diabetic. It just wasn't worth it. I seriously don't see a difference with changing my diet. The best thing i do know is that taking more vitamins helped. Expecially the B vitamins.
Thank you for your experience. What types of vitamins do you take? A multi or other more specific? I think I would have a headache from stopping coffee also and quite frankly I don't want anything more to cause pain than what there is already.