Betta losing fin length?

I have a male betta. he is alone in his own little 1 gallon tank. there is only an underwater gravel filter and his airstone. i change about 1/2 of the water about once every 2 weeks. and a full tank cleaning about 1 a month. he eats well, and doesnt act like he isnt feeling well. but the other day i noticed that his dorsal fin looks shorter. and his tail fin is kind of squared off. im pretty sure his dorsal fin was long enough to drape over his body and im positive the tail fin was not squared like that. my question is...do betta's regularly "shed" (only term i can think of) parts of their fins like that? or is this something else??
@sacmom (14315)
I've had a few Bettas in my time and I have never had a problem with fin length (except for when they were housed together accidentally). But I did find an article that you might find useful (link to it is below). I wish I could be more help. I see your question was posted a month ago. I hope your Betta is doing better now... http://www.petfish.net/kb/entry/335/
that is a fantastic link!! thankyou so much! it describes almost exactly what my guy seems to have! he is doing better now. and is even begging for food again!
I have had bettas for at least 3 or 4 years now (in separate tanks of course since they would kill each other), and alas, I have had to replace one of them every 6 months to 1 year. I too have taken extra special care of them, but somehow they seem to get sick. One of them got some kind of bacteria that actually ate away most of his fins, and there was nothing we knew to do that would help him. He survived practically finless for a good many weeks or even months, but finally did pass along. Sorry to be some dreary, but maybe yours will be okay.
he seems to be ok..other than the loss of some fin length. and he is definatly eating better than he was!