Air Fresheners: Trouble For Curious Cats
April 10, 2007 2:03pm CST
I get a newsletter every week from CatAge.com, and I just wanted to share this info with all of you cat lovers so that we can all try to keep our babies a little safer. Cats love to leap tall counters in a single bound, snoop into things that are none of their business, and strut like runway models. But those traits can spell trouble in homes scented with liquid potpourri. If your pet manages to get a taste of the liquid, the hot oils, detergents, and other ingredients can damage nerves, burn his tongue, and create painful lesions in his mouth and gastrointestinal tract. For a sweet-smelling house and a healthy kitty, stick with air-freshening sprays.
5 people like this
• United Kingdom
10 Apr 07
I use Plug in Airfreshners and scented Candles and have done for a long Time so my Cats where safe lol Now I have the Potpouri but there is only Gissi and me and he can't get where it is lol Thank you for this Kat and I know the Kids don't use Potpouri either so the Cats are safe there
• United States
11 Apr 07
My cats are not allowed on the tables, counters, entertainment center. Besides, I use candles and since they know not to jump up on anything, they won't get into them or knock them over. I don't use liquid potpourri but I used to. I prefer the soy candles cause the scent is more intense and great for when I need to freshen the house in a short amount of time.
• United States
11 Apr 07
Ahhh I never really thought of the liquid plug-ins. I guess I never thought about it since my two cats which are both "babies" (7mths and a year) have never bothered them. But it's good to keep in mind. And once we got the cats I always make sure the candles are always out of their immediate reach and that I'm in the room or immediate area of the candle. Usually I leave one on the stove top in the kitchen as I know they will not get up there. I will sometimes leave one on the end table or coffee table in the living room but only if I'm going to be right there. And speaking of detergents...one of my mom's friends had a cat that ingested a good amount of laundry detergent. The cat was in the basement and knocked the bottle over without her knowing about it and it leaked out on the floor. She noticed only a day or so later. She figured out what had happened and took the cat to the vet. They gave kitty some meds and kitty was okay. But still, how scary! We also have to remember, maybe kitty doesn't get near these type of things while we are around but we have to realize we can't control what they do while we are out!