Mylots cool... but

@socorban (651)
I dont know if its just me or if anyone else has really takin notice to this occurance on mylot that seems to be a daily thing. Why is it that real and actualy topical discussions get usualy low responses, with some exceptions. But absolutly stupid topics get and insane amount of responses. Examples, What type of underwear do you wear. What type of toothpaste do you use. how do you tie your shoes.
@ricknkae (1726)
I have noticed that as well sometimes But I have seen "brain-activity-required" discussions getting a lot of answers as well I guess I depends a lot on if you got a lot of friends on your list and if those friends have "notify on" on you ... also probably on what time of the day you start it .. and so on I assume some people also might be searching for quantity instead of quality hence the no-brainers ... but they think they are earning more doing that and ... the are wrong....unlike other forums mylot seek quality and not quantity and has actually now declared the one-liners stupid questions illegal so you can report them ... especially those yes/no answer seekers... I think you need to stick to quality posts and if you lack answers maybe try to add more people from your interests on your friends list Keep the good work and good luck
@Swtrose (3399)
I applaud you on this very important topic and saying something. I was feeling the same way as you. I like to think that the topics that I started are of an important nature that could result in a intellectual discussion and there is nothing more than annoying seeing two replies to it, yet someone posting about their underwear has multiple replies.
@socorban (651)
Well your on the friends list, i check my friends out first when i log in, if theres anything i have an intelligent response to i will be one of those responses. I guess thats the main reason for "friends" right? Priority. But yea, i try to only include those on my friends list that are interactive with me and post legit and real discussions, you for example, i could care less ones brand of toothpaste or favorite underwear colr. I like Real discsussions
@Swtrose (3399)
Well thank you and please know that I appreciate your opinion on those discussions. (Did you check your messages?)
@tommy408 (361)
I thought this is already an obvious and accepted human nature. We collectively tend to focus on non-trivial, pop-cultural, glamorous, fashionable things only. Maybe its the sub-conscious way of our mind trying to deny and defy the cruelty and absurdity of this universe. After all, what is the reason of talking about the destruction of war, for example, if regardless of how many gallons of saliva wasted on talking against war, the defense contracters would still continue manufacturing killing machine and sell the to warring nations? Might as well focus on American Idol :)
@socorban (651)
I agree, we live in a material world were people are idolized and not rightous actions. Like football players crying cuase they only made 25 million last year for doing something that contributes nothing positive to humanity other than mindless entertainment, while the poor people who work hard an make the world go round through there work are eakin by at 8 or 9 $ an hour, give or take but still pathetic in comparison none the less. People odly have lost ethic and place higher value on trivial things, than things that are consiquential to our very lives.
this question might help explain everything what you are saying. "WHO IS THE MORE LEARNED? -- He who reads about Shakespeare, or he who reads Shakespeare?
@DavidReedy (2411)
I have noticed exactly what you're talking about. It's almost impossible to even get people to respond to legitimate questions... If mylot be representative of the world population, then my friend, let us not fall too far into woe... Seriously, though, I know exactly what you're saying.
@socorban (651)
Yea thats why i skip around, if i have any serious or needed information on specifics i havnt really bothered posting them on mylot cuase they dont get real responses usually, just someone tryin to hit that line mark and get a few cents. Its funny, I can get a legit answer on a question like, "what would cuase lag when excelerating my car" on yahoo questions, that doesnt pay you anything at all, but if i posted it here i'd be lucky to get one response. Let alone an answer.
@subha12 (18453)
yaa.. exactly. i'm having the same idea. here very trivial things get huge responses. Whatever littlke important a matter may be, that don't get response. I don't even get more than 9 responses . it is very bad here i think.
@darkzzt (760)
for me it is easier to answer questions like "what type of underwear do you wear?" it isnt that i dont want to answer other kinds of questions but it is hard for me to think of answers to harder kinds of questions
hi! i think that there are exceptions. there centainly has a few interesting discussions that get more than 50, even more than 100 responses. however as you say, often, less trivial topics do get a lot of responses. i think that basically some people would like to do the quantity rather than the quality. sometimes, some are having difficulty composing what to write and they opt for those simpler discussions. or maybe, they simply have no common interest to the topic of discussion that involves real concerns or real problems of real people. or simply, they just wanna have fun answering simple questions. i myself, don't get affected. i'd rather have 10 quality responses to my discussions rather than have a 100 responses with only a few quality ones. also, i believe it's not the fault of the responders... it's more of the starter of the discussions. the quality of the responses we receive basically reflects the quality of the discussions we started. i do pay attention to the discussions i respond to. i never go to the popular or hot topics that simply does not interest me. to each his own, i guess. continue to enjoy mylot! and keep posting quality ones. :)
@freak369 (4928)
You aren't the only one that feels this way. You try to start something with quality and get a few replies but ask what your favorite color is and you get a hundred responses. I guess you hit the nail on the head - anything that takes almost no brain power to reply to gets the most traffic. I flat out refuse to stoop to that level to make a couple pennies.
@socorban (651)
I agree. Another buddy! Well i hope that you notice im somewhere on most of your discusions i have input on, or similar interests. I like quality and real opinions being voiced about real day to day things, and more intilectual issues.
@freak369 (4928)
I mean, there are times when I won't comment or reply - just becaue it isn't something that I am into or a tpoic that doesn't suit me. I'd rather skip over posting something than to make it seem like I was just posting to be nice. Know what I mean?
@socorban (651)
Indeed i do, i was shocke dto seet this one hit 30 when i logged on today after work, im scanning down giving everyone with a relevant response all +
@Dana5881 (609)
OMG I noticed this. The stupidest questions get a ton of responses and the intelligent ones barely any. I think it has to do with the fact that people don't want to think hard when making posts so that they can make a lot of posts and earn the cents. It is a "I wanna make my 2 cents" deal. Too bad because this could be a really informative place.
@katyzzz (2902)
Yes, what you say is true. It's hard to get responses
Well I'm new here, as of just joined up tonight, and I myself have noticed that. I guess depending on the day maybe people just don't feel like answering serious discussions. Maybe they feel like sharing the little, minute details of their daily lives suitable for that day. And maybe there are just some people that are that lazy and greedy and just out there to try to some easy change.
@fliffy555 (1045)
Im am with you! The whole stupid dicussion getting more responses is nuts! But I think you have hit the nail on the head by saying some people just respond because it is 2cents in their pocket and it requires hardly any brain power! I also have the feeling the mylot community have some kind of grudge against me lol as I will start a discussion and a few days/weeks/months later someone will start the same discussion and get 20x more responses than I did! Lol. I think that is just my timing though! I personally dont reply to the types of discussions you mentioned because although they get alot of responses I tend to report them as one liner discussions are against the rules of mylot and they sometimes get deleted around payday and people lose their money! I only find around 10 discussions a day I want to respond to because there are so many stupid discussions around!
@socorban (651)
I agree, I dont get to respond much cuase i avoid pointless, 2 cents questions, and find much less real good topics. I have noticed a spike in better once since my first day here so i can see what the vets mean by it was alot worse.
@fliffy555 (1045)
Its hard to find good discussions nowadays though isnt it? Im really struggling to make $10 a month now. I have already missed this months payment as I only made $7.30 in a month! It annoys me when I see spammers posting that they got paid. I work hard and they get what their greedy mits want... the money. so unfair i think!
@vega83 (6346)
• Bahrain
oh yeah I totally get what you mean, it's been on most minds for a long time, frankly I don't even answer to those topics anymore, especially if a question, where I'll only be able to put in a one-word answer, and it's so hard to keep discussing something like that, because there is only so much you can say about what toothpaste you use. I usually answer topics where I can ramble on and on and where I actually have some fun discussing stuff and especially if the person who started the topic comments on the responses and you comment on that, now that's what we call a discussion. You'll see that most of these discussions are usually just started to get a maximum number of responses where the owner never really checks back on them as they have no time and have to start more of those meaningless discussions about the brand of everything in your house and office.
@socorban (651)
I agree. Im glad i nailed one that gave you a chance to do a little rantin and ravin, im sure all the intilectual people out there get slightly perturbed by this issue. I sure do.
@vega83 (6346)
• Bahrain
Actually, a few more of your discussions gave me the chance to rant and rave, and I really like doing that.
Thank you for posting this discussion! I was beginning to wonder if maybe my expectations were unrealistic, since most of what I seem to see are inane topics that people consider too stupid to discuss in real life. With so much going on in the world, the best people can think of to discuss is 'my baby burped today' or 'do you brush your teeth'? Really? Nearly 86,000 members and this is what we get. Time to form a network of intelligent friends before I go crazy here.
@socorban (651)
I agree. Expect a request soon. I too decided to seek friends with IQ's so maybe i wont feel like mylot is a lost cuase.
@creematee (2810)
Great Post!! I think people are more willing to share their type of underwear than expose their true feelings or opinions about topics. We are, after all, total stragers in a society that seems to get offended so easily if opinions aren't exactly what we want. No one wants to step on toes. I'm not meaning to stereptype--but there are a lot of young people on mylot as well. I have a few teenage friends, and this is just the way they talk. They (my personal friends) don't care what G. Bush is doing, how the war is going over in Iraq, or other worldly interests. These girls are just getting interested in boys, and ask those silly questions--on a regular basis, mind you. Personally, my feelings are "my opinions are mine, and your's are your's.--They may not agree, but we're entitled to be different." I agree that if more people felt this way, there would be more intelligent discussions going on on mylot.
@socorban (651)
I see were your commin from. It seems sometimes even outside of opinionation, if you asked a situational help question you wouldnt get jack unless it was a "jerry springer" situation.
@laydee (12814)
Maybe more and more people are just here to post what they know of. The basic stuff. More don't really have time to think about their posts anymore. Remember that this is a number's game. Plus, we are already serious with our day-to-day lives, we just want to relax here in mylot. *LOL* That's what I think though. But of course, I don't like those one-liner answers. I still have respect for those who really express themselves well. And even though I go for the easy topics, I still try my best to really think about my reply. =) But there are still topics where I see that more 'learned' or those who really post quality comments are still present. =)
@coolcatzz (1588)
Well it's been that way for a long time. I think you just have a wide range of people and everyone contributes in a different way. I like good discussions but then again you come across some that are brain fluff and you just put your two cents in. what can you do?? Can't make everyone read what they should.
@weemam (13377)
I am not very knowledgeable about deep and meaningful topics and I write about family and light hearted things , I find it too hard to answer really deep and meaningful subjects , but I do know there are a lot like you who do like to answer them so I think if you dig deep enough and search you will find plenty to answer , good luck and happy My Lotting xx
@web2samus (255)
• Uruguay
I think there are lots of people who really like that silly games and have fun with them, of course it means low brain activity but perhaps to them its a way to relaz or something like that I'm supposing this based on two facts: 1.- I've seen this on places who don't pay and 2.- mylot does not reward this kind of topic/answers (at least that's what they say)
I guess some people just don't want to take the time and read a good discussion. yeah I get the same feeling. Sometimes there are people who don't know what to say, and go for the stupid questions. :)