is it just me or is this sad?

i was talking witha friend and we were talking about her brother inlaw. he is facing jail time for protecting his self. he was in a hotel room watching tv relaxing and a man just walked in and started going through his stuff. he told him to leave and the guy pulled out a knife and started trying to stab him. he was able to get to his gun and he shot the guy. this guy is well known for going into peoples hotel rooms and going through there things and not leaving. he is some what of mentally challenged. well now her brother in law is in jail and they are trying to get him for murder. i couldnt believe it. they said it was not his home it was a hotel and he should not of had a gun. i can understand not to have a gun but this guy has a permit to carry so why cant he? it just doesnt make sense to me. can we protect ourselves or not? was he suppose to stand there and tell the guy ok now you dont do this and go some where else so i can relax. or ok you cut me take what you ant it is ok i will stand here.
@KissThis (3006)
That is very sad. In America you can't be sure what your allowed to do anymore. One minute your allowed to defend yourself if someone attacks you first the next your not allowed to because the have a mental disabilty. I believe the laws are to easily misunderstood. I don't believe that there is any way that there will be a conviction on this matter but you never know. I hope he gets a good lawyer.
@Thoroughrob (11750)
We should be able to protect ourselves. He should not be punished like that. That man invaded his space. It was paid for, which made it his. If he had a permit, then he should be able to protect himself. It is wrong!!!
That is so stupid. Why should the laws be different in a hotel room? I think that some hotels are more proned to be robbed because robbers know that the people staying there are on vacation so more then likely they are carrying a lot of money. That is really sad they should let him off on self defense
That is sad, it sounds like it was only self defense