Do you agree that North America uses too much salt on its food?

@cher913 (25890)
There seems to be salt in just about every processed food out there, but i have to admit that i was suprised to see salt in breakfast cereal. I am very guilty of using salt as i cant taste a whole lot (nose issues) so i use salt to make it taste better... what are some long term effects of high salt intake?
@crazynurse (7489)
Yes! After being diagnosed with high blood pressure, I cut way back on my salt intake. Now, I am acutely aware of salt in food. Foods that don't even taste salty to others, seem like an entire saltshaker has been spilled into it to me! My poor hubby, when he cooks he makes the food so very salty! He claims that it can barely be tasted and yet my lips are pursed due to the salt! Once one has cut back on salt, it is really hard to eat and not think that things are too salty, because they are! High salt intake contributes to high blood pressure, water retention, congestive heart failure and kidney dysfunction.
@kareng (7980)
Yes, I think that salt is very much overused here in America and especially in fast foods. Processed foods have high content to help preserve it. I try and stay away from processed, frozen and fast foods these days. You really need to watch the sodium content if you have health issues and/or high blood pressure.
@seamonkey (1981)
The average daily consumption of sodium today amounts to about 8-15 g of salt (sodium chloride), from what I have read. I don't know if that is western society in general or only pertains to North America. Salt can cause a slew of problems, including weight gain and water retention, hypertension, and high blood pressure. DNA plays a part in how much salt intake effects an individual. I read at nutraingredients.com that, "A total of 32 genes were identified that are regulated by dietary salt through the transfer of genetic code information. Of these, 10 novel genes were determined to be particularly good new candidates for salt-sensitive hypertension since they had differential transcriptional regulation in salt-resistant normotensive versus salt-sensitive hypertensive rats strains." Pretty interesting. Thanks for the discussion. I didn't realize what genes we carry changes how we handle salt.
@sunshine4 (8708)
Isn't salt bad for your blood pressure? I think it is. I get very upset with my husband and my son because they will salt their food before even tasting it. There have been times that I have had a dish that had way too much salt and my husband added salt without tasting and then complained it is too salty~ what's up with that?
I do think that salt is overused. I mean I like salt and will use it from time to time. But I think it's ridiculous the amount of salt/sodium you find in products. I know they use it as a preservative in many things but isn't there some other alternative. We have sugar substitutes, why can't we have some kind of salt substitute. Or even some sort of ingredient that would be similar to salt but not carry along all the effects of salt. As far as long term I'm not exactly sure what the risks are...I know that there are risks. And I know that too much salt/sodium is not good for you.
@Willowlady (10666)
Yes, I do agree that we have too much salt in our diets. Along with corn syrup too. We do not eat as good as our ancestors did despite all the plenty of this modern world. I pays to be aware of what and how much we are putting into our bodies. I wish you much luck with this so that you may avoid future health issues.