Do you miss the quiet of your library?

I understand that things have to move with the times but now that our library has internet computers it seems to have also become more like a playground or cafe than a library. There seems to be less and less space given to books as more and more computers are installed. It is almost impossible to concentrate on choosing a good book with the noise in there. We often have sessions for the children so that users can't even get to the book section so I try to avoid school holidays. The librarians seem to be the worst for making the noise not just assisting people but having conversations at the top of their voices when there are no borrowers there! What is your experience? Would you like to return to the 'Quiet Please!' times?
@wolfie34 (26793)
I have to say that College libraries are the worst! I went back to college to study for three years, I had to do a lot of research and found the college library to be the most loudest, annoying and distrating place to be, student's mobiles forever going off, gangs of students chatting and making noise, I gave up in the end, because I just couldn't concentrate, I took the books away and studied at home instead, it wasn't ideal but libraries are certainly not quiet places to be anymore! Silence isn't sancrosanct sadly.
That is a shame. When we visited the university sites with my son I still got the impression that we should be quiet in their libraries as the students were trying to study. Perhaps it just depends which one or which day. I hope you managed to do well at your studies anyway.
@wolfie34 (26793)
I did and I got the qualifications I needed thanks.
@cjthedog64 (1553)
I think the louder libraries is a sign of the changes in society. I usually am there with my DS (16 months) and we're in the children's area. They have it set up with a little play area amongst the books. It is off in a side area so the noise doesn't carry as far, but you can't expect kids to be really quiet. The main area of our library is filled with computers. Kids do come after school to hang out and wait for rides, and lots of people use them to do research instead of using the books. They do have monitors to keep the noise down, but even just with the keyboard noises, it's pretty loud. Our library has a nice little reading room set up with comfy couches & chairs, that's all glassed in, so it feels like you're in the midst of everything, yet is nice and quiet. I think that's great.
That sounds like a good setup. Something for everyone. Our library is open-plan so there is no peace for the adults. I used to go the library as a child when it was quiet. We were quite capable of keeping the noise down for the short time we were in there. Why are todays children only able to be quiet when in front of the television?
@yasaran (788)
I hate it now for those olden and golden days are gone forever when we visited the quite library, used to read books of enid blyton, famous five, nancy drew, hardy boys, sidney sheldon, and others. I lose those fanctastic moments where I felt like i was in a antiquity myself. The smell of the books, esp the old ones. I get warmed up and remember those old days when I smell old books.
@Willowlady (10666)
Yes, we miss the days of quiet in the library. We being homeschoolers also avoid the library on off days and when school lets out. Not all of our libraries are created equal so we do have favorites for books and favorites for internet access. We do get quieter times when we are there when others are occupied elsewhere.
I agree with you, libraries nowadays are not anymore like before. And I missed the old librarians always on guard for the slightest whisper or noise. And back then, libraries were really a good place to study. And nowadays, librarians seemed not to be that industrious in arranging shelves and searching for you for the right book. They usually reply that is out or undergoing repairs. (^^,)
I agree. They seem to be more interested in computer users. When they look things up they go on Amazon not the library list!!!