Has anyone had LASIK surgery? How did it go?

@sbeauty (5871)
I had the surgery last month and would like to compare notes about the experience.
@usmcsgtwife (4999)
I have never head it but my husband has and he is so glad that he did
@sbeauty (5871)
Then he feels the same way I do. It is so nice not to have to wear glasses any longer. Please give him my best wishes.
@Aeval39 (774)
I'm seriously considering. My cousin had it about.. I'd say more than 5 years ago. And she had no problems at all, and she still feels great. And that was 5 years ago, so I guess they would have improved it even more by now. Can I ask how it went? How did it feel and did you have any side effects? People tell me that you see bursts of light for a while after it. I'm always worried I'll be the 1% or something that gets the worst possible outcome, like going completely blind. :/
@sbeauty (5871)
I had that same fear prior to surgery, too. I think it's a natural fear. My experiences with LASIK are completely different than what you'll find because I'm a lot older than you are. People under 40 generally have no problems at all. My daughter had the surgery a month after I did, and she was seeing perfectly the next day, never needed any drops, and had no side effects at all. On the other hand, I am still feeling the effects two months later. I can see almost perfectly, but I have a lot of dry eye problems and use drops during the day and an ointment at night. I had to wear shades for probably 6 weeks when I went outside because the glare hurt my eyes. In older people they also have to deal with the farsightedness that everyone develops as they grow older. Therefore, they corrected my right eye 100%, but they only corrected my left eye 80% so that I'm still able to read without glasses. With that, my eyes and brain have had to learn to work together again. At first I spent days not being able to read or do anything close. That part was frustrating. Then I went through weeks where I could tell that one eye was seeing one way and the other eye was seeing with a different clarity. Now they work together as one unit most of the time. During the surgery itself, there was very little pain. The hardest part was keeping the eye they were working on open and looking straight into a light for a short period of time. They put a thing in your eye to help keep it open which helps. It goes very, very fast. I do not regret having gone through everything I have. I'm thoroughly enjoying being able to see well again. I know the procedure has changed a lot in five years, because I tried to have my eyes done about 5-6 years ago and was told that my eyes were too bumpy or something. This time the doctor said there was nothing he could see that would cause any problems in surgery. I figure that's because things have changed since then.
@Aeval39 (774)
I'm sorry you're still having problems. I didn't think to check how old you are. But that's only encouraging me because it reminds me that if I want to get this done, I should do it when I'm still young. Having a bad eyesight really messes with my confidnce. I've started wearing my glasses all the time because I've backed out of doing things only because I was afraid I wouldn't see something or find someone I needed to, or didn't have my glasses with me. It's annoying.
@rmuxagirl (7568)
I haven't had LASIK surgery yet, but I am going to be looking into it once I get insurance.
@sbeauty (5871)
Insurance often doesn't pay for it because it's an elective surgery. You need to check into that before deciding on an insurance plan if you can.
No i haven't, but i am thinking about it. How did your go? was everything OK afterwards? My insurance is now covering it, but I'm still scared.
@flashpixel (1417)
am thinking to have one because now i wear contact lens and it just a hard task every day couple of times. I asked my doctor and said that i can only operate when i become 21 years old. am count downing the time :P .. man! how does it feel? is it comfortable? and can we go to sea?
@melanie652 (2526)
Yes, I had lasik 2 or 3 years ago. Wish I'd done it sooner! The dry eye problem you're having will go away after awhile. I think it was about 6 months or so for me. The worse your vision was before the surgery, the longer it will take for you to heal and get to 20/20 vision. Late 30's when I had mine done. I'd worn glasses since 2nd grade, so it's been wonderful to not have to wear glasses.
@meeoww (1174)
Well that's all good things to know. I'd like to have it done. But I was waiting for some long term results so I know what my risks are for the future. Anyone remember radial-keratotomy? I think it corrected nearsightedness. Unfortunately, several years later, they suffered from extreme farsightedness! Wow, like, my eyes are workin' right now. So even if they aren't working the best, at least they are, so I didn't want to take any risk until I knew what we were looking at for long term results. Thanks all! Aloha!
@KimMaple (1197)
I haven't had it done yet but want to really bad. I wear contacts and some days I hate wearing them lol.