Kids and the Dentist...

My 5 yr old son had a dentist appointment today! he LOVES the dentist! He's been excited for a week since I told him he had the appointment. We have a great dentist. It's a pediactric dentist so the whole place is kid oriented. There are toys and books and magazines for kids and a theater room with a huge screen TV playing kid movies. When the kids are taken back, the parent stays in the waiting room. They take them back and they brush their teeth and pick out a toothbrush, take xrays and clean their teeth. The whole thing is right there where you can see in the door to watch them. They get to wear funny sunglasses while lying on the chair since they have the light shining in their faces. LOL The hygeniest and the dentist wear masks with funny things on it...like a bunny rabbit whiskers, cat whiskers, etc. When they are done, the parent is called back to talk to the dentist and the kids can go play on the computer or in a HUGE toybox! While the parent pays, they give the kids tokens and they get to get these big super bouncy balls. It's really a great place and the kids love it! The dentist and his staff are SO nice! My daughter goes in 3 weeks, but I don't know about her. She's such a scardey cat. LOL But, if she won't go with them, they ahve a private room to do their exam in where I can be in there with her. :)
My children love going to the dentist also . It is so different today then it was when I was a child as I was always so afraid to go to the dentist and still am but my children are like your son and get so excited when they find out they are going . Makes it a whole lot easier for us though :) I love the guy that my children go to as well he is very easy going and has toys for the children and the funny glasses for them to wear and they always get to pick out some sugarless gum , stickers or a new toothbrush to take home with them .
@Dana5881 (609)
My son has his first appointment with the dentist next week and I am kind of scared for him. I think he will enjoy it tough because those kid dentists are much gentler and nicer. I bet he will get stickers too which he loves.
It sure sounds like your kids have a great dentist. It is really important not to scare the kids as I had a bad experience when I was child it traumatized me for years and I was the worlds biggest scaredy cat.
@villageanne (8554)
You are very lucky that your son loves the dentist. I personally hate the dentist. I never was to a dentist till I was 17 and he was not nice. Back then there was no such thing as painless dentistry.
Wow, that sounds like a dentist who truly cares! I would have loved to have gone to that dentist when I was a child. I hate that fluoride they made me swish and no one tried to make it sound better, or even offered a toy afterwards. Shame on them! LOL I'm very glad to hear going to the dentist can be made fun. It's a habit that so many kids need to learn to accept, so they do it when they grow up and enter the adult world.
Thanks for the BR. Now, I need to make an appointment with your child's dentist. I have a cavity and I don't want to go to mine. : )