Unresolved Discussions/Best Responses?

How long do you give it before choosing your best response? I am afraid that if I close them out, that no one will want to share their opinions with me. I personally never look to see if the subject has been given a best response. I just post when I have an opinion or answer. I have 1-2 discussions with no answers and 1-2 discussions with just 1 answer. Do I leave them up so everyone can see? I am still sorta new here and looking for advice on how to make the most out of my post and so I don't waste the time of other mylotters. Any advice?
@myRose57 (153)
actually i'm in the same situation, that's why I asked the same topic, Best Answer or Response
WWell hopefully once we get known and build a relationship with other mylotters- it will only get better :)
@bkpdp1 (923)
I think we should wait for at least 50 responses, you can also even do of your own comfort. If you give your best response earlier, still you can rate every posting to that discussion and so there is no reason for anybody not to respond if a discussion has given best repsonse, because ratings are there.
Thank you very much. I will try that. I will start rating more. I think I will go back to all my searches and rate them as well. It will give me something to do. I appreciate it!