How did you learn to type?

I want to learn to type the proper way. With my hand on the correct keys. I bought this "typing teacher" I had not realized it's for kids. It does teach you to keep your hands on the keys though. I do want to learn with some adult lessons. Where did you learn to type properly. With your hands on the keys not looking down at the keys while typing.
I did take a few computer classes in High School. But I think for the most part i just taught myself to type. I type quite well and fast without looking at the keys with my fingers on the right keys. I love to type.
I am trying to get this good. Thanks very much.
@Polly1 (12650)
I took a typing class in high school. I am good at typing and I still look at the keys. There is nothing wrong with looking at the keys some.
If you have to look a lot of the time it's not good. I just typed this without looking. made a few mistakes but,it took forever to type it. Thanks a lot.
I was lucky enough to have typing as one of my high school classes, so I learned the basics there. I've built on it myself and with practice and constant use I've pretty much mastered the skill. I can type between 110 and 130 wpm, depending.
I am jealous of you for sure. I wish I could type 10 words a minute. Is there a way to learn to be faster looking at the keys. I should be able to learn not to look soon. Thanks very much.
@winterose (39931)
I took typing courses. We had a book and we had to practice and practice and not hand in our work until their was not one single mistake. The keys on the typewriter was taped so we could not see them and we learned to type without looking. We were taught which finger representing which key on the typewriter. So I type and I look at my screen never at the keyboard.
Wow I can't see the keys being taped. I would love to take a typing class like this. I am going to practice as much as I can. Thanks very much
@Bizziebod (3526)
Hi, I learned to type at school, we were taught the proper way to type and i've kept it up ever since. It has only been about 4 or 5 years since I've learned to touch type though, I downloaded a free program from the internet, can't even remember what it was called, but I practiced on it everyday and incorporated it into my everyday typing at work and hey presto there you go I was typing without looking at the key! I think if you chat on instant messanger alot, that will help with your typing too, and of course places like mylot.
Oh that will be good for my daughter. She is always online chatting with friends. I do plan to type better soon. Then I will go on to learning a new language. Thanks very much.
@alexsis (2149)
I learned by taking a typing class. In high school we had a typing course that taught us the basic of typing. It has helped me out a lot. It was also a fun class. We had to memorizes the keyboard.
Would you believe I took a class in high school Where did my memory go? I will keep practicing on my little computer. Thanks very much
@natalie1981 (2002)
Well, you might think of me as a geek but I learned how to type for fun. We had this old typewriter in our house and I saw this typing textbook that my sister used in school and I got into reading it and that's when I learned the proper hand position. I learned how to type really fast because I use to love writing my own stories in our old computer and by the time I was introduced to typing in a formal class, I was already way ahead of my other classmates.
I don't think your a geek. I wish I could learn to type without looking at the keys. I type pretty fast now and it's getting better for me. I am hoping to learn so I can start applying for jobs. I can't risk failing a typing test.
@sedel1027 (17868)
I pretty much taught myself. I did take typing classes a few years ago for an easy "A" for my Associates degree, but I already had typing down prior to that. I don't think anyone needs typing classes. You learn as you go and the more time you spent at a PC or Typewriter the better you get and one day you realized that you aren't looking down anymore.
I have typed this with out looking. It just takes me too long. Thanks a lot
I didn't learn how to type from anyone. Basically when I got my first computer, I just figured out intuitively. The way I am typing is not the "proper" way but it works well enough for me. After all, it is too much of a habit already for me to change easily.
I will be happy to get to this point. I am going to keep trying. thanks
@santuccie (3376)
I don't know if yours is the same Typing Teacher I used, though it's probably not. The program I learned from was on a floppy disk about twelve years ago. However, the key function of the program is to teach you to watch the screen, rather than the keyboard. Every real typing tutorial shows an image of the QWERTY keyboard on the screen, often with fingerprints or transparent hands on the home row. The key is practice. You're not going to make 75 wpm overnight, but you will soon realize that you can actually type faster without looking than you can looking. :)
@charms88 (7546)
I didn't enroll in any typewriting class. I just try to practice and even bought some CD's to teach me to type faster. It can be pretty frustrating for a starter. I'm glad I was able to type fast without looking at the keyboard. But I tend to have lots of typos. I'm still practicing. :)