I saw a boy at my kids school that was wearing rags

@4cuteboys (4102)
He was wearing what looked like rags sewn together. Only military can go this school and it's sad to think the military doesn't pay enough for parents to be able to provide properly. What do you think about it? Shouldn't the school step in and do something for this family?? I guess it's possible they just blow their money and don't buy for the kids, but more likely is they just don't have the money.
I understand what its like to not have clothes. Experiences growing up poor myself and friends I knew in the same shape. I remember when I was a boy growing up always wearing jeans too short for me when I sat in class they would be half way up to my knees. I wasnt the only one my friend Randy was the same way we both wore a tee shirt every day many times we had outgrown them. Talking about rags though of course growing up as a boy being born in the early sixties people still used cloth diapers I ran around in basically rags as a young boy for diapers when I was small. It didnt really bother that much going to school wearing old clothes but it does have a lasting impact probley for some kids I suppose.
@Gemmygirl1 (2870)
I have a friend who's hubby is in the military & it seems to me that they get paid quite a fair amount of money to be there. Chances are, the parents just aren't very good with money - they either just don't budget & spend willy nilly or they just prefer to spend money on things that make them feel better - fancy stuff. I feel bad for the poor little boy - i don't have a lot of money but my daughter is always clean, well dressed & i make sure that she gets everything she needs before i buy anything else! It is sad but as i said, chances are it's not that they don't get enough money it's probably more that they don't spend it wisely.
It would be nice if the school could step in, but if they did something like that, the family might be embarassed. Maybe if they just made a list of community organizations such as clothing closets, and distributed it to all of the families, saying, "Times are hard and we just want to make sure that our families have access to help if they need it!" That is sad that military families aren't paid enough to be able to take good care of their children. I mean, you don't see BOMBS being neglected!
@Dana5881 (609)
Aww that poor little child. Maybe you could take some of the clothes that your kids not longer wear and give them to his family. Try not to make them feel bad but just say we don't need these anymore and I didn't want to throw them away or have them go to waste. If they are really that poor they will appreciate this. Back in Romania we had to wear uniforms to school. It was a way to hide the poor kids from the rich kids because everyone had to wear the same thing all the time so you never could tell who had money and who didn't.
@sukumar794 (5047)
• Thiruvananthapuram, India
such is the way of the world ,my pal . living in abject poverty .. having no good clothes to wear on .. HELP the needy by whatever means you can !
@mememama (3077)
My mother taught us to give, so there were times that I'd give some of my nicer clothes to a girl in need. We didn't have much for ourselves, so it was a great lesson to know there's people worse off than ourselves and we can help.
@maximax8 (29138)
I feel very sorry for the little boy. I am a primary school teacher. All the schools I have ever taught in make the children wesr school uniform. This is to make them all look the same to stop competition. When there is a party and they wear their own clothes they all want to look the best one there. There is always some jealousy. When I was doing my teacher training I did school experience at a inner city school on the edge of the moors. The headteacher believed 'school uniform does not make a better pupil.' So for that reason the children wore whatever their parents sent tthem to school in. Some children came in dirty clothes and some came in unsuitable clothes. One girl wore wellington boots that where uncomfortable for her to where all day. One boy wore shorts in cool weather and cried at playtime becuse he felt so cold. Other childrn came in fashionable clothes as if to make a statement about thier family's wealth. The school does not step in. One lady lived in an awfully damp and cold flat. It made her son ill. I wished I could have helped her but it was not school policy.