The next great fantasy movie series whould be...?

@oldiebut (859)
Well it seems we have a few fans of the fantasy book genre here. Now that the grand-daddy of them all has been made, what should come next? (hey you never know who's reading myLot after all) My first choice would have to go to the Dragonlance series. It could easily be made into the same kind of 3 part epic. It's characters are reasonably well known due to all the spin-off novels. it's story and characters really suit the big screen. And dammit, I want to see Raistlin on screen. I would love a Discworld or Myth series movie. Something that captures comedy and fantasy in one movie. A pity the Python boys aren't 20 years younger, they would be great for Discworld. Thoughts?
@susieq223 (3742)
I am crazy about Mercedes Lackey's books about Valdemar. I think those would make a great TV series. There are so many wonderful characters and I love the "Companions". Who writes the Dragonlance series? I'm always looking for another great fantasy author and I don't think I'm familiar with that series.
@oldiebut (859)
Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman are the authors. The first 3 in the series are incredible, the second three (which tell a new story) are very, very good. After that...eh. There is likely about 100 novels set in the Dragonlance world out there right now. Look specifically for "The Dragonlance Chronicles" for the first 3 books.
@susieq223 (3742)
Thanks, I going to look for those.
agreed! i think the dragonlance series WOULD be the next best if only someone would put the money and effort into it to make it a quality film. i think the first 3 books would make a great movie yes, but i think Legends would make an interesting movie as well. im not sure i could imagine someone who could play the fun loving, annoying Tasslehoff though. that would almost be as interesting as seeing who could play Raistlin lol.
@oldiebut (859)
Then I have very good news for you. Coming to theatres in September 2007...Dragonlance the animated movie, part 1. Yes somehow I missed this bit of news but the movie is in the can and will hit theatres in September of this year. Mostly career voice actors playing the roles (like Tas) but there are a few well known names... Raistlin Majere...Kiefer Sutherland Goldmoon...Lucy Lawless Tanis...the guy who plays Luthor on Smallville Found it on IMDB and am about to vist the website Dragonlance-movie.com to find out more. Oooo I am excited.