Why do neighbors have to make so much noise?

I live in an apartment on the bottom floor. Now, I know that when I took this place, that I would have to deal with the noise from upstairs. No big deal. I understand the normal "things drop", "walk hard" etc, but geesh, these people must walk around like monsters. Anyone have neighbors like this? It's like- come on, be a little more quieter. I can hear someone slamming the toilet seats in the middle of the night. There are no kids so I know that is not what is making the noise. No animals either. If you had a neighbor like this, how would you react? Would you go to the leasing office first? Would you confront them first? Or would you just simply ignore it to the best of your ability? This has been going on for about 2 months and I haven't said a thing.
i just got new neighbours and they are driving me nuts. i live in a duplex that is upstairs downstairs. i live downstairs and i can't stand the noise at night. i don't care during the day but these people are up walking around and slamming things until 3 in the morning. i don't get it. it's a small place and they are running from one end of the house to the other all the time. then they wake up again at 5 for an hour and sleep all morning. i'm starting to make as much noise in the morning as possible, in hopes that they will want to sleep at night instead of during the morning but my noise i know isn't as loud as them because i'm not walking over head of them. and they seem to be able to sleep through everything. my landlord pounded on their door for 15 minutes before they woke up to answer it. i'm getting annoyed and i'm a light sleeper and i can't sleep through it. i also have a 3 year old so if they ever wake her up i'll definately be complaining.
Oh, sounds like me here. I don't have kids so that is a plus but yeah, I would complain if your child starts getting woken up by it. I also don't mind it during the day, but at night, holy cow, I need some sleep. I would probably be on mylot a whole lot more if I could get some decent sleep. LOL Thanks for responding!
That's why I live upstairs. It's possible that the people upstairs don't know they are being loud. I know I don't mean to be and sometimes someone has to mention it to me politely. Problem is that when it comes to walking, you really can't do anything about it unless they're running around and falling a lot. I've had people living underneath me being loud, too. I had one guy that played his stereo with a loud base that went through the ceiling into my apartment. He did it all day long for hours and hours. He would also have people come to his house and bounce basketballs off the walls and ceilings. I did talk to him about it and he completely ignored me. Lately, I've had neighbors be so loud outside my apartment. We have a walkway that walks right by my bedroom window. On one side of the building, it doesn't go by any bedroom windows and the other side it does. The people who live on the sides where they are not affected walk so loud past my window. We have two women here that wear high heeled shoes and get up early in the morning. They are so loud. We also have people who have let their kids run around on the balcony below us. I have tried mentioning it to the managers, but I am ignored.
Awww sorry you are being ignored and having problems with neighbors like I am. What a pain in the butt this is. I think I will go talk to them tomorrow and if it doesn't change, I am going to go to the leasing office and see what they say. I will probably be ignored too. I pay $ 1460 for a 2 bedroom apartment. I better NOT be ignored. LOL
Wow, that's a good price for a 2 bedroom. Actually, that's about the average overall rent here. I would move, but it's a hassle to just pick everything up after living in a place for almost 14 years. I feel it's not fair to me because I have been there the longest. But, I think this place is going to crumble to the ground, eventually.
See, I think that is expensive. It kills me to know that I could be buying a house for that much and actually OWN it!!!
I guess I am lucky not to have such neighbors who walk around galloping like horses! From time to time, they do blast some music or hold some religious get-together with mic. But hey, once we switch on our TV, it is more or less ok. We tolerate them (we are nice) though they complain about us for the smallest things (used to). :P
I don't mind once in a while things, either. I used to ride an indoor trainer for my bike in my livingroom and no one ever complained until this one guy moved in. Then, he started complaining to the manager and they didn't know what it was until I told them. I asked the guy about it and he said it was OK and that I should just keep on riding it, it's just that he didn't know what it was. But, he still kept complaining to the manager all the while.
You are lucky. I will trade places with ya :-)