How do you choose your glasses frames?

@Pigglies (9339)
I'm soon faced with a decision I haven't had to make in about 10 years... choosing glasses frames! What's your strategy? I used to just pick whatever fit my face, because when I was younger I had a very narrow face it seemed. I would ensure they'd stay on, then pick them. I ended up with some horrible styles. Now, I think my face has filled out quite a bit so it shouldn't be a problem. I've never had such a choice where more frames should fit instead of only having 2 or 3 to choose from. I'm not sure where to start!
I just choose something small that looks good on my face. I also try to get a style and color that will go with pretty much anything that I wear. It's not too important but it's something I do take into consideration. I usually end up with a pair of thin black frames. Good luck hunting for the perfect pair!
@Pigglies (9339)
I have almost always come home with glasses of some color or another. I'm kind of debating this time, if I want colored frames or not. I'm thinking probably black or silver this time around. I can't decide if I want thin or thick frames, only that I don't want very thick. And I don't want a style that will break, so rimless are out.
@freak369 (4865)
Most of the time I wear contacts so that's not a big problem for me. The glasses I have are over ten years old so if I ever need to replace them, I will probably go with the same style. They are pretty much on their last leg; I've Super Glued the sides of them so I can't fold them up because both sets of prongs broke. Everytime I say I am going to just suck it up and get new ones, I find some way of fixing them :] The only advice I can give you is to go to a place that isn't going to spank you on your frames. I came across this site a while back and it was pretty cool to check out: http://www.allaboutvision.com/eyeglasses/eyeglasses_shape_color_analysis.htm
@Pigglies (9339)
Hehe, I bet I'll be the same way with fixing frames. You should see my cell phone! The antenna actually came off, I realigned the metal things until it got signal again, and taped it together. I noticed when I looked at frames in LensCrafters, they were all designer frames and too expensive (and I didn't like them). But I think I'll probably go with what they have when I get the lens made where I'm going just to avoid too much driving around. I used to go to Frame and Lens, but I don't think they're around anymore.
yeah with all the various styles it is very overwhelming! i usually spend at least an hour trying to find frames that im happy with. i end up choosing 5 or so, then trying each one on over and over asking whomever i brought with me which one is better...lol just like the doctor does when he is testing your sight! i try to find frames that are very light, not dark framed, usually a wire frame too, i dont like them to really stand out on my face. and i try to find ones that dont make my face seem even rounder! lol
@Pigglies (9339)
That's a good idea, to bring along someone for a second opinion. I'm going about an hour away, so I don't know if I can get anyone to come along. But I might try it! I wonder what kind of face the thick frames look good on? I've kind of been thinking about those, but I don't know. Anything but colorful thick plastic 80s frames!