Are vegetable based petfoods good for dogs?

Vegetable diet healthy for dogs? - Can carnivores thrive on a vegetable based diet
April 21, 2008 7:56am CST
I would like the opinion of dog ownrs on this one. Our dog is fed regularly on a muesli-type grain food which has some meat content. I must say she seems to thrive on it. She also enjoys vegetable scraps from our own meals if there is a meat-based gravy with it. Maybe I'm old fashioned but it does seem strange for a carnivore to enjoy this diet. Any advice or opinions on this?
1 person likes this
4 responses
@sedel1027 (17846)
• Cupertino, California
21 Apr 08
Dog food should be primarily meat based. That is why the cheaper dog foods are not good for you dog. They tend to be majority grain based. Dogs do need a variety in their diet that should include some vegetables and grains.
2 people like this
21 Apr 08
Thanks for that advice
• United States
21 Apr 08
I haven't had any pets in years, but I've also been hearing about these vegetable based dog, and even cat, food. Then again, most of the pet food I fed my animals were vegetable based with some kind of coating that made them taste like meat to the animals. Our cat used to eat vegetables all the time. In fact, she ate everything except citrus fruit. I've seen those pet foods that look like they have peas and carrots and the like. And, the animals seem to like eating it. Some of their food looks better than what I eat.
21 Apr 08
You have a point there. Sometimes I've opened a tin of dog food and thought 'mmm, that smells good....' In the end, it's only protein and carbs, whatever we call it. We would eat it if we were starving.
1 person likes this
• United States
28 Apr 08
they are good but most vets suggest that you feed your dog a food that is meat based
1 person likes this
@teka44 (3420)
• Brazil
22 Apr 08
Hi Michael. Try to mix vegetables in the petfoods. I ever did that for my dog and my cat and they live a long life with health. cheers
1 person likes this