Why do babies smile while sleeping?

@maroseqf (3657)
Philippines
November 14, 2008 8:14am CST
My baby is now 10 days old and I am so glad seeing him smile during his sleep. He is so cute. We have this idea that angels play with baby especially those who are newborns. That is why little babies smile. Some say that they are having dreams. But I am thinking how will they dream of something if they do not know anything yet. Well, I just enjoy seeing babies smile.
3 people like this
21 responses
@hildas (3031)
14 Nov 08
New babies were believed not to be able to smile, however after some research and 4d scans it has been discovered that they can make alot more facial expressions than was believed before, such as pain, discomfort, dislike etc. Tiny newborns however, who look like they are smiling when they are asleep are actually suffering a little from wind which makes it look like they are smiling. My granson smiles a lot in his sleep. I think personaly he is dreaming. When he smiles at me when he is awake, I believe he is actually doing it for real.
@maroseqf (3657)
• Philippines
14 Nov 08
I believe that those are real smiles.
@hildas (3031)
14 Nov 08
Your baby boy is beautiful.
@maroseqf (3657)
• Philippines
14 Nov 08
Thank you. He is such an angel.
@elitess (5070)
• Ipswich, England
16 Nov 08
Hi there maroseqf. I think that they may be smiling as it happened to me (this year) to start laughing in my sleep and after that i woke my girlfriend (we were both asleep because i kept laughing - i had a funny dream with some of my friends playing snow balls throwing and one of them hit a German Sheppard in the head (not hard :P) and the poor thing was confused so that made me laugh until i woke up laughing - it was actually very cool to wake up happy and laughing.
@elitess (5070)
• Ipswich, England
17 Nov 08
Well, who knows, maybe they get some of the mother's memory through the genetic code (i know, i am probably just saying this, but who knows ?).
@maroseqf (3657)
• Philippines
17 Nov 08
Would babies have the reason for smiling since they still don't have any experiences yet?
1 person likes this
@katkat (2378)
• Philippines
15 Nov 08
I don't know really the exact reason why babies smile while asleep but I love seeing them at that way. It feels me happy and make me think to have my own but not right now. Well, maybe your right that angels are playing with them. Congratulations on having a baby boy.
@maroseqf (3657)
• Philippines
16 Nov 08
Thanks! I really also love seeing him smile.
@kezabelle (2974)
17 Nov 08
Aww I think that is a much nicer thought than what my midwife told me when my eldest was just tiny few days old she brushed it off with "oh it is just wind" I prefer the angels thought!
@maroseqf (3657)
• Philippines
17 Nov 08
I don't think that it is just the wind.
@nilugo (348)
• Singapore
14 Nov 08
That must be so wonderful to see when your baby smiles during sleeping! Must be really cute. I don't have children yet, but I also have seen lot of babies doing that while sleeping. They must be dreaming -maybe not what you and I dream of -that is worldly things, but they must be having other experiences while being in the womb...
@maroseqf (3657)
• Philippines
14 Nov 08
I really love it when my baby smiles. I want to squeeze and hug him tight for happiness.
@nilugo (348)
• Singapore
14 Nov 08
That is so sweet! Enjoy your baby!
@alyssa_c (440)
• Philippines
15 Nov 08
I havent seen a baby sleeping for a while now so I couldn't really remember if I've ever seen one smile. I do believe though that angels play with them. Son, I'll be a mommy and I hope that I could see me little one smile in her sleep, too. =)
@maroseqf (3657)
• Philippines
16 Nov 08
It really feels wonderful seeing your baby smile.
@fedge098 (1330)
• Philippines
15 Nov 08
I think it is believed that guardian angels are surrounding the babies everyday. Perhaps he is playing with his angel. My youngest sister was doing the same when she was still a baby and we usually watch her sleep, smiling from time to time. The good thing is your baby is always being watched over by the Creator and making sure that nothing wrong will happen to him, until he wakes up the next day. Mind him when he is awake, then, you'll notice he's looking at something around him but your eyes can't see it - it's his guardian angel.
• India
17 Nov 08
It is very strange about the smile of babies. It is all around the world believes that babies are smiling to the angels. When i saw my daughter started smiling in her sleep, my grandmother told about this.
@carmela0210 (1591)
• Philippines
16 Nov 08
hahaha, my mom says so also, that everytime babies smile her/his guardian angel is playing with her that why they smile, but the say they baies are like that and its natural, but yeah babies are really adorable especially when they smiles...
@caskins (689)
• United States
14 Nov 08
hello maroseqf, yes i have heard that as well about when babies are smiling in their sleep that the Angels are playing with them. i think it is true and i also love seeing my babies smile in their sleep. it just melts my heart. happy posting!
@maroseqf (3657)
• Philippines
14 Nov 08
Yes. They are so cute. I really love it.
@ajit25 (1008)
• India
15 Nov 08
So cute baby, i love to see baby smiling and playing
@daceyp (327)
14 Nov 08
babies are so cute when the are asleep and smile.i have to be honest i havet heard the one about angels playing with them.i hope he keeps smiling and you do to
@maroseqf (3657)
• Philippines
14 Nov 08
Seeing him smile put a smile on my face as well.
@matersfish (6306)
• United States
15 Nov 08
Agree with #9... Babies don't have a reason not to smile. Without the everyday, rigorous wears and tears of life, we'd all probably smile a lot more. A full belly, a peaceful sleep, a feeling of security and love -- I don't know about anyone else, but that would definitely make me smile. Babies might be too young to dream (who really knows?), but they're definitely not too young to feel emotion. Take out the rent, the numerous bills, the stress, the strife, and all other "painful" emotions, and we could smile as we slept instead of having that weird dream where you're running but not going anywhere. Oh! Or that weird one about teeth falling out. Yikes. I wonder if babies dream about teeth coming in? No matter. Smile away, baby. That's what it's all about. :)
• United States
15 Nov 08
Baby always smile when sleep because knowing that own mother very beauty. And may be want to beauty if baby has been 17 year old. Baby also want to see own mother smile anymore.
@pehpot (4762)
• Philippines
14 Nov 08
They say that babies can dream (you can see that in one of my discussion) and it is a physiological thing like REM and so on (rapid eye movement) and some says they are being played by angels. but I also read that it was just a gas passing out. What ever it is, it is till lovely to watch those cute red lips arching to a smile, melts your heart all the time. ahh.. the joys of motherhood.. my youngest is 6 months now and though he now laughs and smile like a toddler, I remember that when he was just a newborn he also smiles a lot when he was asleep..
@snpyvin (1518)
• Malaysia
15 Nov 08
I think are smiling as they are still young and have nothing to worry about so they can have a nice sweet dreams. hehe This might be the reason why they smile when sleep.
@Roseo8 (2947)
• India
15 Nov 08
Hi Maroseqf,yes its simply wonderful to see babies smiling in their sleep...Well I dont know exactly why they do it.....They are too young to have dreams..It may be that they are happy and contended,since they are well fed and taken care off.....Anyway as you said just keep watching it and enjoy the feeling..Good luck to you.....
@pierone (1894)
• Italy
15 Nov 08
Hello friend, probably babies smiles while sleeping because they have not already understood how hard and sad is live nowadays. When they will becomes older, they will stop to smile while sleeping, and probably they will stop to smile also when they will be awake ...
@sunil_008 (1269)
• India
15 Nov 08
its great to watch a baby smiling in sleep. the mus be some reason for them to smile. what i think is very personal so i hope nobody consider it as scientific or methodical. hen baqbies asleep they go back to their previous births where they wach themselves in that persons role and smile . babies are unaware of this world and the complications in it. so when they r in sleep they must be recollecting the love and affection that their parents and loved ones given to them .tyhats why they smile. and may be the angel factor wut most believe is true. they smile because they are dreaming of a beautiful world while sleeping.
• India
15 Nov 08
Baby is the new to this environment. As u can also try this.While clapping u always smile.not a single human being clap while his mood is off. In the same way baby enjoys every moment of life till he/she understands the what she/he being is