How do you define success in life?

Success - Image downloaded from: www.freewebs.com/cashdaily/defining-it-project-success.jpg .
France
January 11, 2009 12:05pm CST
I was reading another MyLotter's post wherein he lamented that the USA sucks no matter who is President because the middle class can't pay their mortgage and so they are poor. People can't get ahead. He observed that some people had to work at Target these days just to make mortgage payments. I understand what he's saying and his level of frustration based on what middle class Americans and other westerners expect of their lives in order for them to feel successful. Yet at the same time people in other cultures would count themselves lucky and successful to be in the USA and work at Target, have the opportunities that the USA and other western societies can still offer. Still others, even more poor financially, would rather not leave their country because success means having family and loved ones around and financial wealth is not their measure of success. If "success" depends largely on what your expectations are from the outset, is it possible to redefine "success" for yourself so that you view your lot in life as successful? What if success didn't mean a house, or a car, or even a TV? What is your definition of "success"? Do you feel you live a successful life? How do material possessions impact your definition of "success" for you? Would you be willing or capable of adjusting your definition iof "success" in certain areas of your life (especially financial) to help yourself feel more successful?
1 person likes this
16 responses
@mazdakid (347)
• Philippines
12 Jan 09
hi there TheCasualReporter! this is a very nice topic. with the current global economic crisis, it makes us think about our own ideas of success in life. many of us think of financial success. some think of career success. some think of personal achievements and the likes. in my case, my answer is plain and simple: success in life for me means having my life run the way i wish to have it. it means that all aspects of my life would be like this: finances: i would have a stable source of income without having to work too hard for measly sums. and this would only be achieved through entrepreneurship family: i would've been able to repay my "debts of gratitude" to my parents by helping them with their retirement. my own family: i would be able to have a small yet peaceful and happy family of my own personal achievements: i would be able to be a role model for other people by achieving personal success thru simple means thanks for reading and more power to you!
1 person likes this
• France
12 Jan 09
I really like your definition of Success, especially the part where you express the importance of appreciating your parents' contributions to your success. You seem like a selfless person who probably already has achieved a high degree of success based on your definition. That's what I'm getting at: we can feel instantly successful if we boil down our definition to include not just personal achievements but the degree to which we fulfil social and family obligations and show appreciation for others. Beautiful definition. Thanks!
@LaurenInLA (2270)
• United States
11 Jan 09
In the U.S., we all seem to be trapped in to the great American dream, the house with the white picket fence in the suburbs. One of the places in the world where a man can start with nothing and end up as rich as Warren Buffet and Bill Gates. To the individual that says that people have to work at Target just to make mortgage payments, I would reply that if that is the case, then you've probably purchased a home that you simply can't afford. DH and I are living in the house of our dreams but we didn't start there. We bought a house, fixed it up and when we could we rented it out and bought another one. We finally had enough equity to sell both homes and buy this one. Our problem here is that we don't think that we have to work for anything. We want it NOW. Your point is well taken that many people in this world would love to come to this country to work at Target. What a bunch of spoiled ungrateful people we are. Sorry for the rant. Let me get back to your original question. The longer I live, the more I realize that success has nothing to do with money. Sure it makes living more comfortable but at the end of the day you will have led a successful life when you've stamped your unique footprint on this world and made the world a better place because of the life that you've lived.
1 person likes this
• France
12 Jan 09
I really like what you say here and I agree with you. I think having patience while you work towards a goal, and enjoying the challenge of getting there, is a critical component of feeling you've succeeded. I'm all for the "NOW!" mindset, but that we have to take action NOW, not that we have to necessarily always expect results NOW or worse, expect results NOW without anything expected of us in return. That's the part of the equation so many people don't seem willing to accept: you have to give a lot to get a lot. And you must be patient!
@sunny0806 (248)
• China
12 Jan 09
Yes, the meaning of success is not the same from different countries, families or eve every person. For me, I do not want to be a great man and I think I'm success if I have a healthy family and much little money surplus. But now I'm still in debt for my house. I'm happy though I'm not success now, I know I'll be success someday.
• France
12 Jan 09
Respect. I like the way you think. And good luck to you. Thanks for the comment.
@twinklee (894)
• India
11 Jan 09
Hi, Success is the one that doesn't come along with prizes, reputations, cash, and so on. It should be felt by an individual , if his/her effort or hard work brought him/her , the desired results, it is termed as success. For eg. Take two person , A and B A a dull student, b a bright student. Just imagine that A and B had an average preparation for their exam If A is getting a pass mark , it is a success for him, If B is getting a pass mark it is not a success for him. Only when B gets above average , he feels he is successful. So, success depends on one's perception and status. Every human have some dreams to be succeeded ., it may differ from person to person. Hope it helps. Take care:)
• India
11 Jan 09
you spoke my mind..Itis the feeling of ones satisfaaction,which i define as success.Even if u have material possessions if u r not content with it u would not consider urself as successful.Success is the urge,its the passion to scale heights or to get desired output.once u get what u desire then u would consider urself as successful..
@twinklee (894)
• India
11 Jan 09
Ya, exactly my friend! You know what, i was successful, when you said me, my response was satisfying your question. Thank you :)
• France
12 Jan 09
You're saying basically that success depends on self-perception - I like that! And I agree. So if you feel unsuccessful, does that mean you can change your self-perception and turn your current self-image from "unsuccessful" to "successful" just by changing the way you look at yourself? Or is it not so easy.. ? Thanks!
@thanxiang (126)
• Philippines
12 Jan 09
Success has something to do with understanding what you want and need,and your purpose in life.if you understand what's going on,and you have an idea as to why,then that can be considered as a success.Success is hard to define.Every individual has a definition of this word.Success cant be defined by wealth or money or fame.Success has something to do with experiencing the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ in our daily lives,have personal relationship with Him is a true meaning of success.
• France
12 Jan 09
Thanks for your observations. A relationship with Jesus Christ would probably certainly be an important consideration of "success" to many Christians, but most Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, and believers (or nonbelievers) of other religions might disagree with you. So what you say - every individual has a definition of this word - is so true!
@laedyan (189)
• Philippines
12 Jan 09
For me, success is the feeling of content from one's heart. People always tend to say that they can only be successful if they are wealthy and we can't blame them because that's their belief. I can say that I don't feel successful now because there are things on my mind that bothers me and i'm just hoping that someday, i will feel that contentment in my life befre its over.
• France
12 Jan 09
Contentment as a definition of success seems very realistice, but it's true Contentment, although seemingly a simple concept, can be difficult to achieve. I hope you can find some peace of mind. Thanks for your response and best of luck to you.
@subha12 (18441)
• India
13 Jan 09
For me success is something when others appreciate the way I have achieve din life. success is also something that makes others happy. success is something that gives me happiness.
• United States
12 Jan 09
This is what I think of success and what it really is or means.I could not have said it better than this special quote. I hope this helps to brighten your idea of what success is. "To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends. To appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, or a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." ~Ralph waldo Emerson~
@jambi462 (4576)
• United States
12 Jan 09
I think that success in your life should be defined by how happy you are with what you do and that you are actually doing what you want to do with your life. I don't think that money or how much stuff you own measures how successful in life because you could have all the material possessions in the world and still not be happy at all.
@liisafiat (659)
• Latvia
11 Jan 09
A success in life is... 1.when You really enjoy the job that You are hired to do, like it, grow in it 2.when Your work colleagues respect Your competency and knowledge 3.when You have good people around You 4.when You have a loving and caring relatives 5.when You are happily married and met the love of Your life, and when You grow up and live life together 6.when You have a good health 7.when You wake up in the morning, and feel passionate about life that You are living, and things that You are going to do today 8.when You fall asleep with a smile upon Your lips 9.when there are less people that you hurted, less people that hurted You; and when there are thousands of people that helps You to move and succeed in Your life 10.when You reach the moment of when people try to judge You, and leaves their comments about You to themselves because there is no more use to tell those things to You, because You know what You are doing with Your life and no judgements, made by other people, will ever keep You away from having Your life in a way that You want it to be! I just made these thoughts, and felt them to be very inspiring too. Thanks for starting up a very clever and interesting discussion. Milliards of people still can not find a solution for a meaning `what does it mean to be successful`. Have You found it? I still search for my own truth, but so far- it looks like this one I mentioned above. Take care.
• France
12 Jan 09
Interesting that once you start to define success for yourself you already feel more successful, huh? Or at least that success seems like something you can have in your life. You make some excellent observations. Thanks!
@artaucan (97)
• United States
12 Jan 09
I believe that success is accomplishing what really makes you happy, and that is peace, which gives you at the same time the strength and courage to go for all the material things you need to make your life easier, some of us don´t realize that until is too late while others have achieved this state of mind and soul previously and are ready to move on to new things.
• United States
11 Jan 09
To me there is not one definition of or for sucess. Sucess to me is accomplishing what ever your goals are in life. My mom said she do'nt care to be rich, just to have more than enough than she needs. Me, well I want as much as I can get. I think here in the USA, we are taught that you can be what ever you want to be. so to people in other countries who dreams of just being free may have a diferent view of what success is.
• France
12 Jan 09
So for you success is accomplishing goals. That sounds like a good definition, but does that then mean you set goals for yourself that are easy, goals that are difficult but reasonable to achieve, or goals that are so lofty that you feel you keep failing and will never achieve "success"? If you feel like you keep failing, would setting easier goals make you more successful or less successful? Just pondering.. Thanks for your comment!
@murugezh (273)
• India
11 Jan 09
Yes I am doing part of saving money whenever we are spent money we have to plan and take care about saving and we have to maintain a level of money flow into the family to survive in this world. All other countries are going down and down on the economy and the survival become more difficult now to live in this world. Day by day the humanity and them originality is changing time to time worst than the olden days. In this modern world we have to run and live with the existing community and system. Success will not come to us easily in sitting one place and to enjoy it on our hand. We have to move ourselves to reach the success at its place to gather it. We need to work hard, proper plan, targeted, motivated working will bring you to the house of success. Success not an end it was a step in a long journey, to proceed more we have to continue it ever in our life to reach our destination that's our financial and wealth full fill ness.
• France
12 Jan 09
Success is not an end but a step on a long journey.. thanks for the thought!
• United States
11 Jan 09
i define success as how happy you are. if you love your life, and the people that are in it. then your successful. if you hate your life, and your dieing for a change...your not doing so good. lol
• France
12 Jan 09
So for you success is happiness, or happiness means success. Hard to argue with that! But if you hate your life, are dying for a change, can you just change the way you view your life and instantly feel happy? In other words, are internal changes in the way you view things all that is required, or must you change your external life to feel happy? Or does one lead to the other, and if so which one comes first?
@longbangod (1785)
• Philippines
12 Jan 09
For me, success is simply being happy and contented with what you have. Its not really achiving things and realizing your dreams, its more on happiness and contentment.
• Brazil
12 Jan 09
I love my family and have few but wonderful friends. what is making me feel not successful lately is my job. I am a secretary at a construction office and work fulltime. Actually it´s not exactly what i planned for my life. Even more cause I am a night person and have to work during the day, and this is making me really sick. I wake up too early most nights I simply can´t sleep and need cafeine the whole day. It´s not easy. So hard to feel successful.