When the earthquake happens what should we do?

China
January 27, 2010 9:28pm CST
If you are indoors, what should we do? If you are outside, ... If you are driving, ... If you are in a mountainous area, ... If you are at the beach, ...
1 person likes this
5 responses
• Philippines
28 Jan 10
If you are caught indoors, you hide under a strong and durable table/cabinet and put your hands on your head while running towards the furniture. When you are outside, go to an open field. When you are at a beach, go to elevated areas. Tsunami might occur. When you are in mountainous area,avoid trees. Go to plain areas.
• China
30 Jan 10
Hi, gambamarcela, thanks for your response. Yes, i agree with you, if we are in mountainous area, we should go to plain areas, because falling rock and other debris that could be loosened by the earthquake, it has unstable slope or cliffs.
@ErickJ (186)
• United States
28 Jan 10
If you are indoors you should stay out of the doorways because the door can slam and hit you in the face. find something to get under for protection like a strong table or furniture. stay out of the kitchen becausethere are a lot of sharp objects and the top cabnets and everything in it can fall on you. Stay away from the windows, they can shatter. If you are outdoors, look for shelter to hide under, stay away from building, they can or will fall to the ground. Stay away from the powerlines. Thats all i can say for that for right now. If you are driving, get out of the car and get close to the side of the car incase something falls, theres a chance that you won't get crushed. or run for your life and do the same thing for outdoors. In mountainious areas, theres not much you can do but run with the animal in the same direction they are running or flying. At the beach, Run for high grounds because tsunamis are mostly cause by earthquakes in the ocean I hope this info helps
• China
30 Jan 10
Hi, ErickJ, thanks for your response. Yes, i agree with you, if we are outdoors, we should stay away from the powerlines, it is very important, indoor is also so.
@ErickJ (186)
• United States
31 Jan 10
the powerlines can start a big fire especially if the cars on the road crash and the gas starts to leak, while the powerlines are sparking. And another thing, an earthquake can damage the water hydrants and people will have wet feet or shoes and can get eletrocuted.
@AmbiePam (85447)
• United States
28 Jan 10
We've always been taught that if we are indoors during an earthquake, we should stand in the doorway of whatever room we are in. If we are in the doorway, we are less likely to have things fall on us. If we are in the car, I would assume people would pull over to the side of the road. I have no idea what I would do at the beach. Probably nothing. Well, I wouldn't stay in the ocean...
@rookiekan (882)
• China
28 Jan 10
run,just run.look for a strong and safe shield.i have experience a very horriable earthquake,fortunately we r far from epicenter.and our home is concrete and seems very strong,but i learned from that earthquake.run,run to alive and more important,cherish ur nowdays.
@nautilus33 (1827)
28 Jan 10
HI! If we are inside and have no time to go out, we should stay under the table or under the door frame. If we are outside we should stay far from some high building and it would be better if can stay on some play ground or in the park! if we are driving, I think it would be better if we stop, but not near to buildings or trees, in the mountain is the same thing and on the beach I think there is no danger at all!
• China
30 Jan 10
Hi, nautilus33, thanks for your response. Yes, if we are inside, we should find a sturdy desk, stay clear heavy or appliances that may fall over.