What do you use to edit your photos?

@verabear (796)
Philippines
January 30, 2010 2:17am CST
I guess every photography does some form of post-processing, be it to simply add a watermark or to improve an already good shot and make it more stunning and beautiful. I learned to use Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Camera Raw last year although I'm still just a beginner at it. i still find Paint Shop Pro simpler to use. A few days ago, I learned from a friend that Picasa allows you to edit your photos too. I tried it and didn't get such bad results. What about you? What do you use to process your photos?
1 person likes this
17 responses
@Torunn (8609)
• Norway
30 Jan 10
When I put photos on my website I have a php-file that puts watermarks on them. If I only need to resize them to put them online I use the Microsoft office picture manager. It's not very advance but it's fast for cropping or adjusting brightness. If I want to do something a bit more advanced I have photoshop elements, but I'm not very good at it yet. I have this plan that I should figure out how it works, on the other hand I think it's funnier to take pictures that don't need much tweaking.
@verabear (796)
• Philippines
31 Jan 10
You're totally right, it's definitely more fun to take photos that don't need much tweaking. I'm not there yet though, but hopefully I will be soon :) Then again, a very good photographer once told me that great photographers edit their good photos so they become even better. And he's right, it has to be beautiful already to begin with otherwise no amount of editing will make it really awesome. :)
@verabear (796)
• Philippines
1 Feb 10
Oh I'm that way too for the most part. Success or Failure. There are times when I spend a lot of time on one photo and then still end up not liking it. Sometimes when I have photos that don't really pop or look particularly great, using some actions in Photoshop gets them really better and good enough to share. Let's not give up and keep on at it! :)
@Torunn (8609)
• Norway
31 Jan 10
I'm not that good with photo editing I guess, I can change something that's half good into better but if it's already good I don't really know where to start. Sometimes I make several versions of one picture just to see what I can do, but I'm still very much at the try and fail phase.
@madteaparty (2748)
• Japan
30 Jan 10
I usually use Adobe Photoshop CS. I know that my version is a little outdated, but I got used to it. I use it for watermarking, to fix things on people's skin, make pictures look better, etc. In the past I was really addicted to Photoshop, but lately I don't use it that much.
@verabear (796)
• Philippines
30 Jan 10
I'd love to start staying away from my photoshop too. These days I don't upload my photos without running them through there (for most of them). I figured I should take more care when taking the photos so all I would need is add my watermark and it's ready for upload! Oh well, there's just a lot of possibilities when you learn photo editing, no? thanks for sharing!
• Japan
30 Jan 10
When you learn more things about photo editing Photoshop can get really fun and addictive as there are so many things you can do! That's the reason why I got so addicted to it in the past
@verabear (796)
• Philippines
31 Jan 10
ADDICTED is indeed the term to use! I've also found that there are so many free actions that one can download and use. So even if I don't know so much, I can improve my photo. I've found though that not all actions work on different photos the same way, so one still has to know how to manually tweak the settings. I've got a lot to learn but I'm trying to stay away!
@bobmnu (8157)
• United States
8 Feb 10
I use Photoshop Elements, it very powerful program yet it is a fairly simple program to use. I try a lot of things on a photo and I can always go back if I don't like the results.
@verabear (796)
• Philippines
8 Feb 10
I do some digital scrapbooking and many use Photoshop Elements for that, and also to organize their photos., I've heard it's a pretty neat program.
@abee1020 (116)
• Philippines
31 Jan 10
Im using Picasa 3. I have Adobe photoshop cs4 but it's very difficult for me to use it. I dont know why, I think it's not user-friendly unlike picasa. The good thing about Picasa is that it enhances your photos without destroying its real beauty. what I mean is sometimes, when you edit a photo it ends up like FAKE! or it appears that its obviously edited! of course we don't want out photos to appear like that :)
@abee1020 (116)
• Philippines
1 Feb 10
your welcome :) obviously, adobe photoshop is most powerful editing tool so far. If I have enough time, I'll try to study even the basics of it. :) for now, I'm contented with Picasa.
@verabear (796)
• Philippines
31 Jan 10
Oh yes of course, we don't want our focus looking fake or obviously edited. I think that any software you use there's a tendency to over do it. What I like about Picasa is that it's plain and simple. It tells you exactly what it's going to do with your photo. They're like the actions in photoshop. While in Photoshop, you have to do them manually or else load actions that others have created. Thanks for the comment :)
@zoey7879 (3092)
• United States
22 Feb 10
I used JASC Paint Shop Pro as my first photo/graphic editor, and did so for many years. In Adobe Photoshop's earlier years, it was EXTREMELY complicated to use, far more than it is now. Today, it's much more simple and there are many tutorials online that highlight instructions and techniques for image editing. Here's a list of all the programs that I use for photo and graphic editing: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Bryce 3D Irfan View
@zoey7879 (3092)
• United States
23 Feb 10
Bryce is a 3-D rendering program that is used to generally edit or create geometrical shapes and/or landscaping. They can be made in a realistic manner or made to look surreal. Bryce, in its earlier days, cost in excess of $500, but today you can download Bryce 5 for free, as long as you are willing to download another software program that the company publishes. It definitely beats paying $500 but you need a great deal of RAM to make the rendering run smoothly.
@verabear (796)
• Philippines
23 Feb 10
Ohh thanks for sharing,I still find Adobe Photoshop CS3 still a bit complicated, but with the help of tutorials it becomes easier and I find really a powerful tool :) I haven't heard of Bryce 3d before, what does it do?
2 Feb 10
For my photo's I don't really do much to them mainly scaling to put on my blog and I usually use GIMP for that...(Mainly because I have a Linux OS)
@verabear (796)
• Philippines
3 Feb 10
I read that GIMP is open source, it's good that there are a growing number of applications and software that are that way. Thanks for sharing :)
@owlwings (43915)
• Cambridge, England
30 Jan 10
I use Irfanview, Gimp and Paint.net mostly. These are all free softwares and rather simpler to use than Photoshop. Gimp is reckoned to have around 90% of the functionality of Photoshop and has many more features than most people would need. I used PaintShop Pro for many years but was unwilling to upgrade after about v8 because at that point they made the interface much more complicated. I have always found Photoshop rather complicated to use and not very intuitive.
@verabear (796)
• Philippines
30 Jan 10
I first heard about PSP in an e-group I joined, the ladies there are awesome at creating tags and banners and their own websites too. There was a PSP workshop and I learned the basics from them. I think it was v9 that I started out with. I would definitely appreciate a more simple one but has the same functionality. I don't really like that sometimes the editing software takes away what's important about photos and enhancing them, rather than the other way around. You know what I mean? Thanks for sharing and pointing out Gimp. I'll checkout it out sometime.
@agp143 (40)
• India
30 Jan 10
i'm also a beginer with photo editing but now a days i'm using photoshop for do my work and found that if we work little then we can really work easily with photo shop.also this software got a lot of tools that make work superb...so at initial stage be patient and u'll be good photo editor
@verabear (796)
• Philippines
30 Jan 10
thank you! Can you give tips on where to learn more about using photoshop for editing? Do you read tutorials or stuff? I sometimes use actions and they make everything easier. :)
@kyel_11 (1069)
• Philippines
31 Jan 10
I also use Adobe Photoshop but i'm not good at it. I find it hard to use yet i'm still trying to learn it. I even want to get tutorial over the net but i don't have time to try them. The easiest way for me is using PhotoFiltre. That's it. Looking forward to learn new image processing software too :)
@verabear (796)
• Philippines
31 Jan 10
Hi! I have not tried PhotoFiltre and already, I am excited about the many new photo editing software that this thread has revealed to me :) I love photoshop although I learned to use PSP first. Now, I edit with Adobe Camera Raw, and then finish up with PSP. Just because. If I could find one software that I will stick with for editing my photos from start to finish, i will definitely make the switch. Cheers to more learning! :)
• India
30 Jan 10
Currently, i use adobe's photoshop for image adjustment. sometimes i use GIMP too. corel painter is also used by me. beginners should try Microsoft paint.NET and how much stunning and beautiful you want your photo to look like? if its just basic touch ups that you want to give then microsoft paint.NEt will do more than enough. If you want studio quality production then use the softwares that i do
@verabear (796)
• Philippines
31 Jan 10
Hey thank you so much for letting me know about Paint.Net I have never heard of it before even though I thought I was pretty familiar with MS products. I thought they only had Microsoft PictureIT and I didn't much like that. I checked out the site for Paint.net and see that it has support for layers too, much like the PSP and Photoshop. I think this one's really worth trying. thanks!
@nykel88 (999)
• Philippines
31 Jan 10
I use Photoshop CS 2 and LR or Adobe Light Room to edit my picture. I first use Adobe Photoshop for perspective editing and few distortions. Then if I am satisfied with my picture I cropped it in Photoshop then I transferred it Light room for its final touches. I usually use Photoshop than LR though. ^^
@verabear (796)
• Philippines
31 Jan 10
I've heard about LightRoom too, and saw that there are also some free presets (?) that other users are offering for download and personal room. But what is it really for? I mean, how different is LR from Photoshop?
@tombela (72)
• Vietnam
31 Jan 10
I use Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Camera Raw and i feel they are reaally good enough for me, though i am not very well at editing photos.
@verabear (796)
• Philippines
31 Jan 10
I love Adobe Camera Raw, that one's quite easier to use compared to Photoshop itself although I was trying both out at the same time. I'm not doing very well yet, but I keep on trying.
@abitcurious (1422)
• Philippines
31 Jan 10
Adobe Photoshop for my advanced photo editing. It offers a lot of filters so I can do almost professional looking photos. I say almost because I have yet to master it. GIMP because it's free and easy to install if you're working on another computer. For fast cropping and red eye removal I use ACDSee. Comes with an image viewer too much like Irfanview.
@verabear (796)
• Philippines
31 Jan 10
Come to think of it, I think we used to have ACDSee. But at the time I didn't do any photo editing at all. Yes, the photos can really become professional looking with some tweaking on Photoshop.
@3yanto (2)
• Indonesia
31 Jan 10
absolutaly right to edit photos is not difficult if we want to learn, i use photoshop to edit photos ??
• Philippines
30 Jan 10
i used adobe photo shop , its easier to use all of things that you needed to edit your photo is sufficient on adobe photo shop software , so you better to choose adobe photo shop software and you can take it better for editing photos.
@junil_jk (496)
• India
30 Jan 10
i haven't done much photo editing. but i've used adobe photoshop when i did some editing.
@cloud31 (5809)
31 Jan 10
I'm using photoshop for editing!it works well ..