They charge to get rid of those old tires what do you do with yours?

@free_man (7330)
United States
March 8, 2011 6:43pm CST
You go into have new tires put on your vehicle and when they are done they charge you to get rid of the old ones. We keep bringing ours home we have a small stack of them. Didn't know what to do with them. But this year we are going to stack them and put gravel in them then put dirt on the top two roles of tires and make it a planting space. We are even going to collect some from the neighbors and do this to them too. So what do you do with those old tires? Did you know that a famous movie star built his house out of them? What good things can you think of to do with the waste of this world?
14 responses
@jennyze (7029)
• Indonesia
9 Mar 11
In Indonesia, there are many people who can't afford to buy new tires. So they will buy used tires considering the condition is not that bad. They will then go to a garage to re-profile the tires that they are usable for longer period.
1 person likes this
@free_man (7330)
• United States
9 Mar 11
Hi Jennyze. When I was growing up and my dad had a gas station he always had pretty good used tires for those that couldn't afford to buy new ones. But these days don't many people buy used tires unless they are like us just plain can't afford to buy new tires. Thanks for sharing.
@free_man (7330)
• United States
19 Apr 11
So sorry for taking so long to respond Jennyze. Where is your country? No I guess I will keep making planters out of them. Oh well will get two more next month!
@jennyze (7029)
• Indonesia
10 Mar 11
Ah, your idea of using as a kind of plant pots is brilliant. If you have too many, you can always export it to my country...
1 person likes this
• Philippines
20 Apr 11
before we have a tricycle and when we change the tier of our tricycle we sell the old tire to the junk shop.by this way we are sure that the old tier will be recycled and we make money out of it.one thing more, the interior of the tire may also be recycle.we cut the rubber and make it a as rubber bonds.rubbers do have many uses even though it was already worn out. we can still recycle them...use products that can be recycled instead of those that are disposable.
1 person likes this
@free_man (7330)
• United States
26 Apr 11
Wish our country USA would find a use for them and start buying them. So we wouldn't see them piled up taking up space. But I will use them for making fences and planters. Better then letting them sit and take up space for nothing.
@free_man (7330)
• United States
20 Apr 11
Hi Harold and welcome to my lot. I wish we had a place to sell the used tires. But there isn't a place here in our state. So I decided to make planters out of the used tires we have. It will be like a raised planter so it might keep things out of it that shouldn't be there. Thanks for sharing.
• Philippines
25 Apr 11
i know somehere in batangas and in our province,in pangasinan.they buy used tires and reuse it but i don't know what specific thing or how will they use it.=)
1 person likes this
@marguicha (215428)
• Chile
16 May 11
A few days ago I was reading about growing potatoes in containers and one of the things they suggested was to make containers with old tires and then fill them with good soil.
1 person likes this
@free_man (7330)
• United States
16 May 11
Hi Marguicha. That is a great ideal. We have peppers and tomatoes planted in some tires. Thanks for sharing.
• Philippines
3 May 11
there are many alternative ways that can help you eliminate stocks of car tires.first you can use it as a fence aside from flower boxes. I saw in one of my friends house some chairs that were made of tires, you can do it also. Its good also to place it as a playground materials just add some colorful paints(unused/extra) to make it more attractive.
1 person likes this
@free_man (7330)
• United States
5 May 11
Hi Aileen_c12 and welcome to my lot. Those are some good ideals thank you.
@khatty01 (32)
25 Apr 11
It is much helpful if we will recycle it. It is very useful too us. Just think some of the ways what we could do on those tires. We can make also decorations and we will sell them. We should be more creative and resourceful in thinking and doing such things or ideas that would help us.
1 person likes this
@free_man (7330)
• United States
26 Apr 11
Hi Khatty and welcome to my lot. It is good to recycle. I like that thought of making trash into something. My brother showed me a shirt he has today it was really soft it was made from recycled plastic. That was cool. That is why I wrote this discussion to find out what else I can do with those tires other then trashing them. Thanks for sharing my friend.
• Kuwait
26 Apr 11
You can do a swing by those old tires. Sometimes it can be a flower pot on which you will put a soil inside for you to plant and it also serves as a protector. Some people don't know how to use or recylce it so they just burn it not considering the effect that it can cause them. Be very creative on such thing because you can do a lot on those things. Be resourceful.
@free_man (7330)
• United States
26 Apr 11
Hi Geraldine and welcome to my lot. Thanks that is a cool ideal. Never thought about hanging it and planting flowers in them. Did plan on making planters out of them Got two that are now a place to plant our squash. We will put other vegetables in some of the other ones we have that don't need a lot of root space. I like your ideal for making a swing planter.
@Lore2009 (7378)
• United States
9 Mar 11
That's a good idea. Maybe I will do that with our old tire as well. I know there is a collection coming around once or twice a year so we've been waiting for that. I think it will recycle it for us, but I don't know it there is a charge or not.
1 person likes this
@free_man (7330)
• United States
9 Mar 11
Hi Lore. We live so far out in the boonies we don't have any kind of trash service. I know when you get new tires around here they charge to get rid of the old ones. So we bring them home. My husband came up with the ideal of making a fench that is made out of the old tires but filling them with gravel is my ideal. After the first two is full with gravel they won't be moved and then the dirt put on the top two will make a good planting bed that is his ideal. I think it will make a good planting bed. Thanks for sharing.
@asyria51 (2861)
• United States
9 Mar 11
Every year, sometime in May, the local school district collects them. The tires go to a company that shreds them for school yard mulch. The school district then gets a big discount on the mulch then need for under and around the playground equipment.
1 person likes this
@free_man (7330)
• United States
9 Mar 11
Hi Asyria. It is a good thing that they go somewhere other then the landfills. I think I will talk to the local schools and see if they take old tires too. Would be nice if all schools do that. But we are still going to use our used tires for a good use too. I think the planter ideal will be a good thing. The soil here on our land is full of rocks so it is hard soil and the plants don't grow very well in it. Thanks for sharing.
22 Apr 11
Recycling is the best thing to do with these waste of the world like the old tires. Like for example you can make it as a swing, plots, trash can and you can use it also as the plate of animals. If we think ways of using this waste we can use it in many ways. This waste can help to our environment. Because when we stock this tires it can be a place where the mosquitoes live.
1 person likes this
@free_man (7330)
• United States
22 Apr 11
Hi Blizchell and welcome to my lot. You have some great points there thanks for sharing my friend.
25 Apr 11
with the waste of this world i would rather recycle them, but for the old tires maybe i could suggest that my uncle would make it into a drum where in we could store our water for everyday consumption since nowadays its summer time we need to store a lot of water.
1 person likes this
@free_man (7330)
• United States
26 Apr 11
Hi Ravenclaw_samwise and welcome to my lot. Did you get samwise from the hobbit series lord of the rings? I seen that show and loved it. Why do you have to store water during the summer time? Good suggestions but we don't have to store water where I live. Thanks though!
@jhoverly (21)
• Philippines
24 Apr 11
Old tires can be used as stairs. Put full soil into tire and after that, put another tire above the first one and put full soil again. It can be very helpful to us rather than burning those ones and would give bad effect on our health and in the environment.
1 person likes this
@free_man (7330)
• United States
24 Apr 11
Hi Jhoverly and welcome to my lot. Thanks you gave me a great ideal for a new planter. Will put two under one and fill all three with sand and rocks and put a little soil on the top part of it and make it a planter for plants that don't need a lot of root growth. Thanks again.
25 Apr 11
In our home, the tires are piled in one side of our ground,some are used as a fence,we also put soil in it and plant a flower or vegetables. It is much more useful to us than seeing it just around there in our ground.
1 person likes this
@free_man (7330)
• United States
26 Apr 11
Hi Codz_leon and welcome to my lot. You are right they are better to be used for something then to just sit taking up space.
@jannray (20)
• Philippines
19 Apr 11
Maybe I can use it for feeding our pets at home by cutting the tires into 2. I can also put water there for drinking spot for the birds or chicken. Or collect many tires and sell it to the junk shop. Tires also are used by militaries for exerising(walkiing in the holes of tires).Maybe I can use it also for my exercise also.
1 person likes this
@free_man (7330)
• United States
19 Apr 11
Hi Jannray and welcome to my lot. That sounds like a good thing. I hate wasting things.
@khimmy30 (11)
25 Apr 11
i could recycle those old tires at tire shops or through recycling companies. i have also seen horse tire swing. could also used to build hanging tables.you could also have tire crafting. this simple things could help reduce trash problems.
1 person likes this
@free_man (7330)
• United States
26 Apr 11
Hi Khimmy and welcome to my lot. What so great ideals. Never thought about hanging tables. Sounds cool my friend.