Do we really need a religion or a belief to feel peace?

Malaysia
August 5, 2011 3:17am CST
I still remember that when I was ten, I was attending the other people's religion classes. I don't want to say which religion but I am not of the same religion as the others in my class, in fact, I was the only one who was different in the class. I just have nowhere to go during the religion class so I just sat in the class and do my own thing. They were taught about hell and heaven. About the judgement day that no one will be spared from punishment but they will all go to heaven after the punishment except the non-believers. The non-believers will be in hell forever with various kind of punishment. At times, I found myself woke up in the middle of the night, crying because of fear. The fear of not knowing the truth before I am dead. What if I am supposed to believe but I didn't? Will I be punished? I was fear of death and not being able to do the right thing before it. Everything's gonna be too late if I die. At times, I saw people who were praying feel so peaceful knowing that 'someone' will be looking after them from up there. And that they can count on that 'someone' to sort things out for them and make it easier for them. I felt so lonely. Because I don't have that kind of faith. I have no one to tell to and to believe in. Do we really need a religion and a God to believe in to feel peace? To feel that you're not alone?
6 people like this
41 responses
@RamRes (1723)
• Argentina
14 Aug 11
I don't think so, each one may decide what to believe and what not to believe and be happy with that. Being alone or not doesn't depends on one's believing but rather on the way we carry on with our lives. I don't have any religion and don't feel bad about that. Of course, the religious folks will try to convince you at all cost to believe in their "god", menacing people to go to hell if they not.
1 person likes this
@RobtheRock (2433)
• United States
14 Aug 11
I know you've probably heard of the studies that religious people who believe in a higher power and do the best they can to be good, are the most at peace. And religious people who believe in a higher power and do bad things a lot are people who are the least at peace. And those who don't believe in a higher power are in the middle. I was like you when I was a kid. I read a lot of Jehovah's Witness material and also studied about the End of the World. Revelation was very scary then. Now I think differently. God wants us to worship and love Him. Scaring us into loving Him is not the answer. Now, when I read Revelation, I see a beauty in it. It's not all about fear and punishment. And I know that there are many non believers who have beautiful hearts and there are many Christians who have mean, hateful hearts. Actually, Christ is telling us to do no more to other people than we would want done to us. Thus, I'm saying that many who call themselves Christian, are giving Christianity a bad name.
1 person likes this
@Pose123 (21635)
• Canada
10 Aug 11
Hi yushi, I wonder how many children there were like you back then, and how many there still are today? Such teachings have a terrible effect on children and the fear often stays with them throughout life. Granted more and more people are beginning to understand this today and only a few churches continue to try to scare people into their perceived heaven. Fear is the worse possible tool and the example of love as Jesus showed for child is of course the best. We are learning but slowly. We don't need a religion not to feel alone, and we don't need the kind of God depicted by most religions either. We are all a part of the infinite, that universal mind that many call God. Be assured that you are never alone, neither is there a hell where non-believers will be punished for all eternity. Although, we may never understand everything while we are in physicality, you can be sure that life did not begin with this body, nor will it end with it. There is a purpose for which we all came here but we are all at different stages in our spiritual development. Enjoy life to the fullest, be happy and be sure to spread that happiness, even if all you have to give is a smile. Blessings.
1 person likes this
6 Aug 11
This is one of the basic evils that a lot of religious organisations indulge in. Teaching young children that they are going to suffer some horrible punishment for doing something that in their opinion is wrong is such a nasty and evil thing to do it is difficult to understand how anybody can condone it. The truth is that nobody knows what will happen when you die and that there is some power or being up in the sky or some other mythical place watching and judging you is such a stupid idea that it is hardly worth talking about
1 person likes this
@daeckardt (6237)
• United States
10 Aug 11
I grew up in a church and attended the religion classes, but now I don't have anything to do with organized religion. I think that for me, it is enough to know that I am doing right. I don't have to sit in a building with other people who pretend to be good Christians only to see them out in the community committing sins the rest of the week. It would be better to just go out in the wilderness (or a park?) and feel the peace that comes from not doing evil. I don't think of it as praying. Perhaps meditating or something, but I think organized religion created heaven and hell as a way to control the ignorant. I'm sure that the people who are active in their religions will tear me apart for that comment, but like someone said (organized) religion is the opiate of the masses.
1 person likes this
@AdalieM (1134)
• United States
9 Aug 11
I don't feel alone. And no, you don't need a religion or to believe in god in order to feel peace. Some religions are nothing but a bunch of lunatics, spreading the word of god while hating others. I don't think that's living, that's existing. As for what happens when you go to the other side, nobody really knows. Everybody has their own definition of god, everybody has many gods, but that doesn't mean that some religion is right while the other is wrong because nobody knows.
1 person likes this
@Galena (9110)
5 Aug 11
of course not. religion isn't the only path to peace. in fact, for many people, religion drives them away from inner peace. not being a Christian, I don't beleive in heaven or hell, so I don't fear them. no one is alone. we're all interlinked. we're all a part of this planet and this universe. we need never feel truly alone knowing that. I have a religion myself, but don't beleive that honouring a higher power is the only way to peace.
@Galena (9110)
6 Aug 11
it could just be that THAT religion isn't the one for you. if you find it so disturbing. a religion shoudln't make you feel that way. don't let someone elses religion make you feel anxious or afraid. if you don't beleive it, why fear it's teachings? if you feel there is something more out there, try researching different religions and see if any of them ring true to you. if none of them do, then maybe none of them are true. we're only human. we don't hold the secrets to the universe. we can on;y try and figure them out. remember that all of the established religions out there come from some persons guess at how the universe works. maybe someone guessed well, maybe no one is even close. you have just as much right to form an opinion on deity as those people all those years ago. don't let other people tell you that you will be punished for not beleiving the same as them. becuase if you don't beleive the same as them, then you don't beleive in that punishment.
• Malaysia
6 Aug 11
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know that people who has a religion will give me assurance like this that I don't need one to feel peace. I don't blame the religion for not being able to reach me. I blame the person who tried to teach me the wrong way to understand it. Maybe that's why I don't feel peace with it in my head.
• Kottayam, India
7 Aug 11
The real peace is only with Jesus Christ and not in any religion.
@Galena (9110)
7 Aug 11
so how do you explain all the non Christians who know spiritual peace?
• Kottayam, India
7 Aug 11
Jesus Christ did at anytime propagate religion ? can u show any record in that connection.
@_sketch_ (5742)
• United States
5 Aug 11
I don't have religion and I don't feel alone. I don't know what exactly you mean by "belief", everyone has beliefs, even if they aren't religious. No, one does not need a God to believe in and to feel peace.
• Malaysia
5 Aug 11
Hi, it's good to know that I am not the only one who have yet to believe in any religion. What I was talking about is the religious belief, like how someone believes in their God and feel peace after praying to their God. Thanks a lot.
@_sketch_ (5742)
• United States
5 Aug 11
Okay. Because I am spiritual, but not religious in any sense. So my spiritual beliefs give me some peace. Though I do not believe that even this sort of belief is necessary for peace. Love is necessary for peace. That is all. And it starts with the love and acceptance for ourselves.
• Malaysia
6 Aug 11
I got it, maybe we just need to know that we are loved by someone to feel peace and better about ourselves.
@aerous (13434)
• Philippines
7 Aug 11
Yes! We need religion to be peaceful in our mind and heart. Because if you don't have a religion...you feel nothing and seems something you need to find for? Many people telling me that better for not having a religion because they say. The important thing was not to do evil to our fellow. But those things is not happen because people who don't have religion did not mind anything and they do as they want to do in their life... There is no limit for them to right or wrong. They didn't considers anything as good or bad...if they want to cheat...they can because there is no law beyond in their conscience...
@Galena (9110)
7 Aug 11
I think you have a very low opinion of other people, if you think that religion is the only reason why someone would be a good person. personally, if it's only religion that holds you back from doing harm to others, then you are not a good person. you are a bad person behaving like a good person through fear. I do not beleive that religion and morality are linked. I do good things, not because I fear punishment or seek reward from my Gods. I do good things because it is morally right, and I was brought up to be a good person. and religion wasn't a part of that being taught to do what is right. of course atheists consider some things good and some things bad. this is Morality, not religion. they don't need religion to stop them cheating. I'm sure just as many religious people cheat as atheists. because people are people. and maybe the religious people consider that they will be punished for their wrongdoing, but the atheists know that it's wrong, and will hurt other people. this is what holds most people from doing bad things. the desire not to hurt others.
@aerous (13434)
• Philippines
11 Aug 11
You can be a good person even without religion, Galena. But what the concepts of fear. What's the basis of a good person when you relied for nothing. Why do you need to be a good if you don't believe on eternal life? Why you do you need to be a good person. If you only rely on your discipline but not rely on the coming event's in your life. Yup! You are right...no need for people to have a religion to be a good person. But what is the concept to be that way...if you only rely on yourself and be good others. We can all be a good person with or without religion. But need to take the concepts why people need to be a good person? As we all know. More people having religion is more evil than those none. But why they are being that way? Because they can't found the right religion as the bible teach. Those people are the same to those people with no religion at all...How if those people has no religion. What is happen to the world will be?
• Philippines
5 Aug 11
I guess we don't really need a religion to feel peace. We can feel peace if we just stay close to each other and be nice to one another. I think religion is even the reason why terrorism happens in other parts of the world, including here in my country. These people are ready to kill if you don't convert to their beliefs.
• Malaysia
6 Aug 11
That's cruel. Why kill when you can't make people join your religion? You must be scare living in a society like that. I wish that you'll be safe. Take good care of yourself. That is extremist. I wonder if they taught their followers that way or their followers got them all wrong. People like those will make people like me afraid to believe, which is one of the reason I am still lost.
• United Arab Emirates
5 Aug 11
Frontvision101 extremists are every where . . i one converts and beliefs with true heath that is only his religion . . one doing it forcefully and other asking them to do so is a waste. Terrorist are extremists
@megamatt (14292)
• United States
5 Aug 11
People should feel the need to believe what they wish to believe. They should not be pressured into feeling the need to believe into something that they are just not into. I mean, really that is just doing the belief a great disservice if you are not fully on board with it, because you are rather pressured, some would say bullied, into believing into something that you're not fully sure on. There are many times where people take a while to find a religion that they feel at ease with. Or perhaps they feel at ease with no religion. Perhaps they are the sane ones. Or perhaps not. Or perhaps we are all doomed no matter what we believe. That's a scary thought but a probable one never the less. In the end, its all about finding something that you are at ease with and feels fits what you want to feel peace at. Not everyone is going to agree, but what are you going to do.
• Malaysia
5 Aug 11
I am feeling the same too. I was made to believe that I should be believed in one before I am too late to ask for a forgiveness. I kept on thinking, if I should make a choice now. Should I? So which one should I follow? Is my decision is the correct one? What if I made the wrong choice? These questions haunted me during my childhood. While growing up, I am just really different from the other teenager when I kept reading and researching about most of the religions I know. And yet, the more I know, the more I am confused.
• United States
5 Aug 11
Is never to late to ask for forgiveness
@SIMPLYD (90722)
• Philippines
6 Aug 11
Religion isn't a guarantee that you will have your peace. It is the knowledge and belief that there is a God that watches over us that gives us peace. We may not see that God, but we can feel HIM when we surrender our life in believing in HIM. We call that faith. It is believing without seeing.
@SIMPLYD (90722)
• Philippines
8 Aug 11
Actually, you can try all religion if you like. No one's gonna condemn you, you will just have to say you are searching for your religion and they will understand. I am born a Catholic. Long time ago , i tried going to Born Again faith when my sister persuaded me to try it. I like it so much but there are aspects i don't like. I went back to being a Catholic , but i don't practice some Catholic devotions anymore. I believe, after reading the bible for how many times, some Catholic practices are not in the bible.
• Philippines
6 Aug 11
I agree with you somehow but when it comes to peace, well there are 2 types of peace. Peace of the world and peace given by God. If you in a true religion, many people will hate you but if you will endure all of them then you will be saved. In this statement you cannot have peace of the earth but deeply you will realized that if you are in a true religion you will find the peace given by God and not peace of the world.
• Malaysia
6 Aug 11
I wonder if I take the decision to try to have one before judging will it be okay? What if I don't find it right, can I just leave and hop to another? I guess not. People will see that as betrayal even if what I did was just trying to find my own peace.
• United States
5 Aug 11
To be honest there is many different ways to feel peace with out god. But the point of having faith and believing in god, is to feel the ultimate peace, a supernatural peace, a peace of something beyond yourself. God is a almighty god, and i do not know if its true what they taught you in school. But i know God is real and god will take his people on judgement day. I believe you should have faith and put your trust completely in god for he can help you threw all your stuggles & fears. You only need a little bit of faith and pray to god and tell him all your problems, you can talk to him just like you would talk to a friend of yours trust me he hears you. He will help you threw an he will be by your side,he will keep you protected threw it all. But you must put all your faith in him it may take time but 1 day at a time is how you do it. Those people you see that are into god and peaceful, they really are at peace with everything because it is true, god is looking after them and he will look after you if you just trust in him just know He can change your life comfort you.
• Malaysia
6 Aug 11
Thanks for commenting, I am just wondering why you double post them? Maybe you were lagging so you double post them twice. I love reading them anyway. Thanks a lot for taking your time to reply to this.
• United States
5 Aug 11
Word for you God is willing and ready to anwer your cry to him in the day of distress. He will give you assurance that no matter how pressing the trouble you face he will be with you where ever you go. In the midst of your difficulties "call out" to god Let your emotions come through to him. God hears and he understands.
• Philippines
5 Aug 11
it will always depend on your perception of things, maybe we have the same religion and i have also experienced the things that had happen to you. the only difference is that, i am not scared for i don't believe in hell and i think if their god is really GOD, why will he make her creations go to somewhere where they should not be. just stay kind and always help others even if you don't believe in there god i am sure that you will never go to hell. for example, if you don't usually go to class(like being absent for 99% of the semester), but still you managed to make a perfect score during the exams. do you think that your teacher will give you a failing grade? of course your teacher will give you good grades because you have done a good job in having the perfect grade in your exam, it is not on how you believe or not on others believe, but on what you do to make you a good person.
• Malaysia
6 Aug 11
It was hard for me to get over it, but somehow I did over the time. Now I don't feel as scare as I used to be when I was 10 years old. I was starting to wonder if my teacher who taught religion in the class was doing it on purpose, yet I realize that it is not my job to judge her. She was just doing her job to teach the fellow followers to fear their God and to be loyal. Thanks for putting things into a simple example like this. I can understand it better. You're such a nice person.
@andy77e (5156)
• United States
7 Aug 11
Well, whether we do, or do not, does not matter because all of us have a belief of some sort, whether we admit it or not. All of us believe something about the universe, a deity, and life. Some choose to believe there is no God. That in itself is a belief about God. So the question is, what do you believe? I am a Christian. I believe that Jesus Christ, was the son of God, sent by God to pay the penalty for my sins. By accepting Jesus as my Lord and Savior, I am redeemed by faith. Personally, I think it's pretty cool. How about you?
@andy77e (5156)
• United States
7 Aug 11
Well the truth is, I don't have all the answers. Why did God do things a certain way? What... am I 'god'? Why did he allow me to flip a truck over 3 times in the snow, and land in the middle of a creek bed? Why did he allow the truck to land right side up? Why did he allow me to get through it with only a bloody nose? Why did he allow the accident to happen at 1 AM on a back road? Why did he allow one person to be within a mile of the accident, who gave me help to call an ambulance? How should I know why he does what he does? Here's a bigger question for you to ponder: Given how much we don't do what he says, how we call him stupid and ridicule him for being inefficient... ...why does He care about us at all? Why did He send Jesus to die at all? If someone called you the things you have said about God, would you be so enthralled with them, to send your own son to die for them? See, I'm more amazed that God has even provided forgiveness, than I am the way he did it. We certainly don't deserve it.
@voracious (624)
• Philippines
6 Aug 11
Absolutely yes. We need a religion in order us to be saved, you cannot be saved if you only believe in Christ minus his religion besides its a commandment of God for us to join his religion which was written in the book of 2 Corinthians 1:1. About joining a religion you need to examine them first before joining because there are a lot of religion now is just aftering your money and they even collect tithes which is not commanded by Christ. True religion from the bible is not measured by the amount of members, amount of church income, Structure of the building and so on. True religion is based on the teachings of Christ and very few are called. I hope you will be also one of the called.
• Malaysia
6 Aug 11
It is hard for me to believe if I don't know which is the right path. Should I just join and try. Can I? If I still can't find it, can I leave? It's not easy. I could ended up making everyone angry.
• Philippines
5 Aug 11
That actually depends on how strong a person's will is. If you are a strong-willed person, you can achieve peace if you want to without the help of a belief in a higher being. If a problem is too big to handle though, that belief might actually help you through that situation.
• Malaysia
6 Aug 11
Yes, you are right. It really depends on people will. When there's a will, there's a way. Sometimes I wonder, if I just live my life this way because I don't feel nothing wrong with it, what will happen to my future children if I get married someday? How should I teach them?
@rollylolly (2843)
• India
5 Aug 11
Hi yushi1905 ! I am really touched by your story . I can understand how it affected your young mind . Many of us believe in God and we are divided by different religions . But after all we are human beings . We must have religious tolerance and respect for each other . If we read history and mythology we can understand how we have been divided into different religious clans. If God is one, then we started worshiping Him by different means and calling him by different names . Now coming to your query that whether we need to believe in a religion and God to attain peace is a rather argumentative issue subject to valid substantiation. But in simple terms we may say that there is no harm in believing in God or a spirit and think Him as our guide and friend . For this we need not bind ourself to any particular religion. We medititate and feel relaxed and at peace . We can practise this by visualising God or anything which might be our most dear and cherished object . I was born in a Hindu family but slowly and gradually came in contact with the teachings of Lord Jesus and the Holy Bible . It changed my life ,and believe it or not, I was totally transformed into a different human being. I am really very happy and at peace reading His teachings and putting them into practice.But I don't go to church or any other place to meditate or pray. My behaviour and attitude focusses the enrichment of my spirit . Jesus is my friend and guide . Daily prayers at home gives me peace and tranquility . Wish you a blessed and peaceful life !
• Malaysia
5 Aug 11
Thanks for answering. I am wondering if I can just believe in God and not any religion? Can I just meditate as if I can still reach to Him without any religion? I don't want to tie myself up in a religion because I have not find any religion that I personally think is the right medium for me to reach the Creator.
• India
7 Aug 11
Hello Yushi . Please refer to the third paragraph of my comment .I reiterate that you can definitely believe in God without roping yourself to any religion . I mentioned that I was born Hindu but I am totally secular but unlike you Jesus influenced me and miracles happened in my life so I go according to His teachings . But you can just pray and meditate Visualising God/Spirit/Creator/supernatural being and what ever you feel like to attain peace of mind and serenity .
@asmaf6 (7)
• United Arab Emirates
5 Aug 11
yushi your story was really worth reading every person have some believes . . something that that they follow. . be is to your daily habits about truth or false right or wrong. what i believe that is our religion . . our belief it teaches us what is right or wrong. . i am a Muslim girl i believe in one God ALLAH . . HIS PROPHET (S.A.W.W) day of judgement. hell heaven . . what my personal experience is our religion makes us strong. power to follow truth on a good path path of peace avoiding evil sins. every person have there own religion such as Hindus Christians. . To which they follow .. . For Your Question i would Say Yes We do need. My Allah Guide you to the right path and help you sort out your questions :)
• Malaysia
6 Aug 11
Thanks for liking my story and for spending your time to feedback to me. People like you who cares enough to reply me makes me realize that I am not as lonely as I thought. I think every religion will teach us about right and wrong, to do good and not sins. It's just sometimes their followers make it looks bad. Therefore, people like me who are still lost can't see the light, just yet.