Why Some People Use Xmas Instead of Christmas

@ARIES1973 (11426)
Legaspi, Philippines
November 2, 2012 6:44pm CST
Merry Christmas Everyone! Christmas season is fast approaching and I know everyone is so excited just like me. Some were already done with their Christmas shopping and others are just about to begin. We know that we came from different parts of the world and not most of us are Christians but this does not prevented the whole world from celebrating this great event which the birth of our Lord. When I was younger, I asked my mother why others would use X instead of Christ in Christmas. She explained to me that because Christmas is a worldwide event, but not all are Christians, so those non-Christians countries use the word x instead. That was I heard from a mathematical point of view. Honestly, I became more confused about it when I've read that this is a common misconception that the word Xmas is a secular attempt to remove the religious tradition from Christmas by taking Christ our to Christmas(wikipedia). I would like to solicit the opinion of our friends here about this thing. Thank you and have a nice day!
4 people like this
11 responses
@mariaperalta (19073)
• Mexico
2 Nov 12
Im guilty, I learned that in the usa. So much easier than spelling out chistmas. I hope I didnt offend anyone here.
2 people like this
@ARIES1973 (11426)
• Legaspi, Philippines
2 Nov 12
Hi maria! Personally, I don't use X because I believe what my mother told me when I was young. I always use the whole Christmas word whenever I write it even on the smallest available space provided. Do you know that I also questioned my friends who are using the x why they are using that? Actually they told me that it is easier too. So I would tell them what my mother told me and they believe me also. Well, anyway, we have our own belief and sometimes reading so many things just make my innocent mind more confused, he he. Thank you for sharing!
2 people like this
• Mexico
3 Nov 12
ok, take me out back and shoot me. Ha ha ha. Your mom was right, they always are right. See you soon .
2 people like this
@ARIES1973 (11426)
• Legaspi, Philippines
3 Nov 12
Thank you for that maria. Are you a Roman Catholic too? Actually, I am also waiting for those who belong to other religions to answer my discussion. I really wanted to know their opinion about this thing. Hopefully, somebody would share.
@redredrose (1105)
• United States
3 Nov 12
I'm guilty as well having used x instead of spelling the whole word. I don't do it to take out Christ fro Christmas or because i'm Jewish i just do it to get the word spelled faster. My hubby isn't Jewish and he even sometimes doesn't mind that people use an x instead of spelling the whole word. I don't think people mean to use it as a way of getting Christ out of Christmas. I think they do it to make the word shorter to spell. For those that do it tho to take Christ out of Christmas are wrong for that because Christ is why we have Christmas. Personally tho i don't think it is such a big deal to have an X instead of spelling the whole word. It is still Christmas and should mean the same thing and if it doesn't then i am sorry to people for doing it and for how they feel. Merry Christmas have a great day.
2 people like this
@ARIES1973 (11426)
• Legaspi, Philippines
3 Nov 12
Hi redrose! I just make this discussion so that I maybe able to know the reason why others are using this and that. I am glad to know the reason. Actually, the action itself is only secondary to the motive. Thank you for sharing!
@deebomb (15304)
• United States
16 Nov 12
Hello ARIES. Long before Christ was born the traditions we have today were around with the Mesopotamians, the Persians and the Babylonians, Scandinavia, Ancient Greeks and early Romans all had similar celebrations at this time of the year. The Early church incorporated those customs into the church when they saw t hat the people continued to celebrate in the pagan way. Christ would have been born in the spring because of the sheep in the pastures. The new testament was written in Greek and the word Christ is written in older manuscripts, CRISTOS) are the Greek letters chi (c or C) and rho (r or R). An early example is the Chi-Rho monogram, composed of the first two letters in Greek of the word Christos (Gk: chi, X = ch; rho, P = r). So The beginning of the use of X in Xmas. It also shows up in the 1400 when Johannes Gutenberg started his printing with his printing press. I have always thought of Xmas as being all inclusive with all the religions of the world. Now I do know there are people out there that would like to remove Christ from Christmas and all places. But I don't believe it will ever happen.
@ARIES1973 (11426)
• Legaspi, Philippines
16 Nov 12
hi deeomb! Thank you for sharing this information and for the comprehensive discussion of the matter. I've learned a lot from you. Thank you for sharing!
@deebomb (15304)
• United States
16 Nov 12
You are welcome. it was fun looking these things up.
@pahak627 (4558)
• Philippines
3 Nov 12
Well, I'm a christian but I sometimes use xmas specially when I am hurriedly writing. I am used to it since I was a kid. From what I know it is the abbreviation of christmas. I don't know if there is a significance in writing xmas or christmas.
1 person likes this
• United States
3 Nov 12
I never knew and still don't know if there is a significance in writing x mas r Christmas either. I usually just use the x if i have no space for the whole word or im in a hurry but i try not to use at all because some people get offended by it and i don't like offending people.
1 person likes this
@ARIES1973 (11426)
• Legaspi, Philippines
3 Nov 12
Hi pahak! If we don't know the reason for one thing, maybe it is understandable because we don't know. But what we will do now that we know the reason for such? Are we going to stick unto it or are gonna change our ways? Thank you for sharing!
@Shavkat (137212)
• Philippines
3 Nov 12
In my opinion, the word X for Christmas is not proper to use. But then, The usage of X means Christ symbol in Roman Catholic. That's the reason some people used it as a shortened word for Christmas.
• United States
3 Nov 12
I always really thought it might be a way to shorten the word but never knew the X was a symbol for Christ in Roman Catholic. Thank u so much for sharing this info shavkat.
1 person likes this
@ARIES1973 (11426)
• Legaspi, Philippines
3 Nov 12
Hi shavkat and redrose! That was also the information that was given to me by my mother. Just like x and y in mathematics wherein we opt to replace the whole figure with symbol. And she also added that this symbol are being used by non-Christians since Christmas is a worldwide event so everyone is celebrating this event. Thank you for sharing! Have a nice day to both you!
@Sindelle (824)
• United States
3 Nov 12
I always thought that Xmas was just a slang word for Christmas but when you pick it apart what you're saying makes sense. It probably did come from someone wanting to celebrate Christmas without the religion part. If people want to spend time with their families I don't see a problem with them calling it that if it makes them feel more comfortable. I think god would be happy to see people spending time and loving each other still....obviously not as happy as if they were Christians but still. While it may have originated as term to cut the Christ out of Christmas I think its now became a popular slang term used by Christians as well. I've known several people who have used that terminology who do believe in god.
1 person likes this
@ARIES1973 (11426)
• Legaspi, Philippines
3 Nov 12
Hi Sindelle! I also thought of that before and there are still many people, especially Christians who do not know it. They are using the x even they do not understand it. I was just curious during those times so I tried to ask the difference and that was the response I got. Thank you for sharing!
@Asylum (47893)
• Manchester, England
3 Nov 12
This is a very old tradition passed down through the centuries. X is a form of Chi, which is Christ's initial in Greek and was often used in monastic circles. The same applies to Xian, which is the equivalent of Christian. I have heard many different stories over the years about the use of X and decided to check the origin of it a long time ago, so I know this to be perfectly true.
1 person likes this
@ARIES1973 (11426)
• Legaspi, Philippines
3 Nov 12
Hi asylum! This is another story. Thank you for sharing this with us. Have a nice day!
@urbandekay (18278)
3 Nov 12
No, no, no,no, no. It is too early to start on about Christmas! all the best, urban
@Hatley (163781)
• Garden Grove, California
3 Nov 12
hi aries I dislike that very much as I do not want to take the Christ out of Christmas as it means much to me.I will never say xmas as its ju st n ot right.
1 person likes this
@ARIES1973 (11426)
• Legaspi, Philippines
3 Nov 12
Hi Hatley! I am glad to know that you are also doing the same thing. Christmas should always be Christmas. Although I understand some who might be doing the x thing because they do not know the reason or this might just be convenient for them. I respect everybody's opinion for this matter. Have a nice day!
@jaiho2009 (39142)
• Philippines
3 Nov 12
This is because the Christmas season is to celebrate the birth of Christ. But since the date of Christ's birth is unkown and not written in the Bible- the Catholic Church set December 25 as the birthday of Jesus Christ. So,for non Catholic persons they use X- stands for un-known.
1 person likes this
@ARIES1973 (11426)
• Legaspi, Philippines
3 Nov 12
Hi jaiho! this is additional information to consider. Thank you very much for sharing! Have a blessed Sunday!
@edvc77 (2140)
• Philippines
3 Nov 12
I'm quite disappointed too that some people use Xmas instead of Christmas. We all know that the heart of Christmas is our Lord Jesus Christ. It must be Christmas not Xmas. Thanks for this discussion.
1 person likes this
@ARIES1973 (11426)
• Legaspi, Philippines
3 Nov 12
Hi edvc! Sometimes we do things not because we don't want to do the right thing but it is simply because we don't understand. Thank you for sharing your opinion. Have a nice day!