what is the age to potty train?

United States
September 11, 2006 1:16pm CST
Do you know when would be the best time to start? Like what age?
13 responses
• India
18 Dec 06
what is potty train ? i dont know about this . can you explain it . please i am still waiting for you .
• United States
18 Dec 06
It is when you teach a child how to use a toilet instead of their diaper. Do you have kids?
@XDWONX (64)
• United States
27 Nov 06
around 1 and 1/2 otherwise forget it until after he or she turns 3 years old...trust me i'm a mommy of 3 lil darlings
@XDWONX (64)
• United States
27 Nov 06
let me share with you the advice of my wonderful mother in law.1.- watch body language and ask about every 15 min she has to go.2.- put her on the potty about 10 to 15 min after she has eaten a meal.hope this helps
@Venus01 (29)
• South Africa
12 Sep 06
MY DAUGHTER WAS FULLY TRAINED BY AGE TWO. I DO NOT CARE MUCH FOR PEOPLE WHO FORCE THEIR KIDS INTO GROWING INTO THINGS THAT WILL COME NATURALLY. I SUPPOSE I COULD HAVE HAD MY DAUGHTER TRAINED AT A YOUNGER AGE, BUT WHY? BY TWO SHE EVEN GOT UP AT NIGHT TO GO POTTY. SOME PEOPLE WANT THEIR KIDS TO BE FULLY TRAINED BY 12 MONTHS. REDICULOUS! TRUST YOUR GUT, AND YOU WON'T GO WRONG.
• South Africa
11 Oct 06
You can really only teach by examply - you'll agree that kids like to imitate!
@srhelmer (7029)
• Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
18 Dec 06
We let our daughter decide for herself. She started showing interest in it when she was a little over a year old and seriously began doing it after she turned two. Now, she's fully potty trained.
@SViswan (12051)
• India
17 Dec 06
potty training - potty training
We start quite early. I don't know if my way would work if you have a carpeted floor and you have a boy. We used to hold the baby to go potty or pee and they kind of got used to the idea. By the time they were ready to sit without support, we put them on the potty seat. It was very easy with my first born and by the time he was a year and a half, he was totally potty trained. Now that my second is 3 weeks, we've started off with the same technique. Hope it works. I use a diaper for my kids at night and when we go out. I have friends from the U.S. who wait till the child is 1 and a half or two and then they say it's so much trouble. I don't know if mine is a workable plan for anyone...but it works for me.
@baysmummy (1637)
• Australia
27 Nov 06
As children approach 2 years of age, parents frequently start thinking about toilet training. What is the "right" age? Depending on whom you ask, the "right" age may range from as young as 6 months to 3 years. While age can be used as a determining factor, there are several others to address. The most important factors are not necessarily age, but rather physiologic, physical and psychological readiness. Before a child can be "toilet trained", she must have attained a certain amount of physiologically readiness, namely "bladder readiness". In infancy, babies frequently are unable to hold large amounts of urine in their bladder and void small amounts. As a child grows older, her bladder becomes more mature, and is able over time to hold larger amounts of urine between voids. This comes hand in hand then with the additional ability to be able to increase the interval between voids. When you notice that your child is dry at longer intervals (i.e. dry after a nap or for at least 2 hours) and is voiding large amounts at a time, then that is a sign that your child may be physiologically ready for toilet training
@sedel1027 (17846)
• Cupertino, California
11 Sep 06
Average age is around 2 yrs of age or when your child is ready. Some kids are closer to 2.5 by the time they are fully ready. Word of advice - don't use pull up. They are exactly like diapers and make potty trainign harder. I thought the idea was insane my self but after trying to potty train my son with them and then his daycare doing it without and being successful, I changed my mind. Also create a routine where you take your child to the bathroom every so often so they get use to going.
@Sunset50 (1397)
• United States
12 Sep 06
The best time to potty train is when you notice the child stays dry for two or three hours before going. As soon as I noticed that, I got rid of diapers so they experienced feeling wet, except at night. My son was almost two and my daugher was around 1 yr when they trained. It seems to be less stressful and is less work if you wait until the child goes less often.
@jhannon (1406)
• United States
11 Sep 06
Most pottys right on the box say start between 18 months and 2 yrs old..ANything before that they are not physically ready..Some kids will satrt to tell you when they have gone in there diaper..My lil girl kept taking her diaper off alot too.. My lil girl is 22 months and wants nothing to do with it though..
@DeenaD (2684)
• United States
12 Sep 06
My advice is to wait until right after the child's second birthday. Before that, I feel they may not be ready, and it will only frustrate both them and you. When they are really ready, it will be much easier and MUCH quicker to potty-train.
@wsue1023 (1395)
• United States
11 Sep 06
I think 2 is a good age to start, but kids all progress at different stages. My kids were trained by 3, but some want nothing to do with it even at that age.
• United States
11 Sep 06
I dont think there is any true set in stone age you should potty train. You have to take que's from yuor child. if they aren't ready, you will deffinately know! LOL My 4 and 5 years old where potty trained at the same time..My now 4 yr old was 2 and my 5 yr old was 3. My oldest was the hardest..he was just not having the entire potty thing and it took several attempts off and on for him to be 'ready" he was potty trained finally at 3.
• United States
13 Sep 06
I would say 2 or older, depending on when the child is ready. I used to do daycare and saw over and over again that when parents waited until the child was ready that it happened in 2 weeks or less.