Unassisted childbirth anyone?

@mememama (3076)
United States
February 27, 2007 5:27pm CST
Would you or have you had an unassisted childbirth? Do you even know what that is lol? Here's a link http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/ Basically it's having a baby at home without a doctor or midwife. There are birth stories on that website if you would like to know more about it, pretty interesting!
4 people like this
11 responses
• United States
27 Feb 07
Im having a midwife assisted pregnancy, and thinking about having a unassisted homebirth with this baby. If i do ill probably be outside for it hehe. I have 3 acres of wooded property, so its not an issue, plus it will be in summer. I thought about it, and its a peaceful desision, if labor comes on fast, ill just stay home and do it myself. After all woman are made to give birth :)
@mememama (3076)
• United States
27 Feb 07
that sounds really cool! Only if the woods are quiet lol, I hated any sound during my labor.
3 people like this
• United States
28 Feb 07
hehe ahhh the sound of barking dogs!
4 people like this
• United States
27 Feb 07
I would never do that in a million years! Anything could go wrong and then what would the person do. I am sure they are trying to save money by doing it that way but that is not for me. I would rather have a professional there to assist me
3 people like this
• United States
27 Feb 07
Its not about saving money for me at all. I have full medical coverage for myself and my family. It covers all the doctors, and i pay my copays. Im paid for the year in them. So really it wouldent save me money at all.
4 people like this
@eden32 (3973)
• United States
28 Feb 07
I have known many women who have had unassisted home births. I considered it for my last pregnancy, my partner was not comfortable of a home birth at all (even with a midwife) so I opted for a hospital birth (w/midwife) to ease his fears. Now that he has experienced a hospital birth, he is very supportive of home births! It is not at all about saving money. Many women who choose to birth at home (with or without a midwife) have insurance that would cover their births in hospitals. They opt for the birth they want even if it means paying out of pocket for a midwife, for birthing supplies or even a visiting nurse to do a post birth check-up. Hospitals births (here in the US)are almost always, over-managed, over-assisted; and the statistics are very clear- the outcomes are awful! The US has one of the worst records of all industrial nations, and we have the highest rates of hospital births & access to all the technology anyone could possibly want. In many cases it's that access to technology & the interference in a sacred process that causes these tragic outcomes. Let me give you an example- almost all hospitals standardly use electronic fetal monitoring (the belt that has a doppler attached to monitor baby's heart rate). It's "non-invasive" and most women do not think there is any reason to object to it- even though it keeps them immobile, afterall we *need* to know the baby is OK constantly. The doctor that invented this devise gives presentations & speaks out against how they are overused now. It's intended to monitor high risk labors, not to keep mom in an unproductive position. Further the rates of inaccurate readings or interputations with them lead to more c-sections, more pitocin & more problems for a labor that was perfectly normal to begin with. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to babble so much. The bottom line, a home birth with or without assistance isn't for everyone. BUT for the family that is ready & willing to accept total responsibility for their birth, their health & their baby it's a viable option. Every mother-to-be should make the decisions she is most comfortable with, birth where she feels safe and be supported in those choices.
• United States
1 Mar 07
Well since I gave birth to my son with no medication in my system; I guess I could handle home birth. This is assuming of course that I am having a good pregnancy. My son was born 3 months early but he tried to come 4 weeks earlier.
3 people like this
• United States
28 Feb 07
Yes, I would have an unassited birth. I have considered it for my next pregnancy. As of now, I think I am going to hire a midwife but I would like her to stay totally hands off and really just be there in case I need her. I have thought long and hard over this and I just have an instinct that I might like having the support during labor of another woman who has done this before. Unassisted childbirth may feel right for me in a future pregnancies though. I think I'll probably do it one day. It seems ideal to me. Midwives are valuable and I think that many women have a calling to become midwives and because of that there must be a need for them. But for other women, I truly believe that unassisted birth is the safest. The less a birth is interfered with, the better a mother can do her job and bring her baby into the world.
3 people like this
@lillake (1630)
• United States
28 Feb 07
UC, makes my heart a flutter. My first son was with a midwife at a freestanding birth center (not attached to a hospital), my second was an unassisted childbirth. It is certainly not for evryone, not every woman wants to take the time to train themselves or have enough faith in their body's abilities. But for me I love not having to fall into someone else's standards of what a birth should be.
3 people like this
@kittles (156)
28 Feb 07
I wouldn't just because I wouldn't know what to do with the 3rd stage and I think i;d be too tired to care for my baby afterwards (like wash and dress it etc) but I guess as it's your baby and your decision noone can stop you
3 people like this
@babykay (2131)
• Ireland
12 Mar 07
no don't think I would try it. Just in case anything went wrong! I would prefer to be in a hospital even if it is not the most pleasant environment, I would choose safety. But I think that those who choose homebirth should be supported...unassisted birth though, this sounds a bit off the wall to be honest/.
1 person likes this
@lillake (1630)
• United States
12 Mar 07
There have been several studies that ahve shown that birthing at home is just as safe, and in soe cases safer, than hospital birth. It really isn't that off the wall.How do you think babies were born for the bilions of years before hospitals? ;)
1 person likes this
• Canada
28 Feb 07
I have a friend who did abn unassisted birth for her second child. I read her story, and it sounded very beautiful and peaceful. I also have a friend who did an unassisted birth, and lost her baby. To me, if I coudl be sure it was safe, I would do it, but I can't be sure, so it's not a risk I am prepared to take. I did choose to opt out of a lot of unneccassry interventions during my birth, and had a midwife instead of a doctor. But I wanted to be in the hospital just in case. I don't judge though - I deeply respect anyone who can do an unassisted birth.
2 people like this
@astromama (1221)
• United States
1 Mar 07
Maybe I would if I were an experienced child birther! I am having my first within the next two months at home with a midwife. I imagine I will know after that experience whether or not I would be confident enough in the future. I mean, you essentially give birth 'alone' anyway... the midwife is just there to check heart rate and make sure things are going smoothly. I don't know if 'unassisted' would ever be for me... I would at least want my husband with me. After all, it's his childbirth experience, too! During this birth, he will serve as my 'coach'... he's been preparing my food, massaging me, practicing relaxation techniques and doing my prenatal excercise with me... as well as giving up all the things I can't have while pregnant. I am an advocate of partner birth, so if all goes well and we feel capable of going it alone next time, I will definitely consider it!
2 people like this
@stacy624 (2776)
• Canada
12 Mar 07
I had an Unassisted Childbirth Nov 2006 at my home. Its really neat to talk about now but was really scary during that time Stacy
• United States
17 Mar 07
I wouldn't do it myself, although I would do a homebirth with a midwife. I wouldn't go unassisted because I wouldn't want to have to deal with the placenta and the mess on my own while taking care of a new baby.