Which is cruelest to your child, giving them no sugar, or no meat?

March 8, 2007 3:26am CST
My children are vegan and I also don't let them have much sugar in their diet at all. I find that people seem to have a bigger problem with me not giving them sugary 'treats' than with me bringing them up vegan. What are your views?
8 people like this
18 responses
• United States
8 Mar 07
Hi there, My daughter is a vegetarian by choice. She is 8 years old and she has been a vegetarian for as long as I can remember. Although in her earlier years she did eat chicken and shellfish. She has now gone to no meat of any kind but not gone completely vegan. I think that she needs some of the nutrients of animal byproducts (milk, eggs, cheese) and so I havent explained to her the vegan concept or she probably would convert as well. We, the parents, on the other hand are not vegetarian although, I try to eat no red meat and eat some chicken, but not much. My husband is a red meat eater and will not change. My question is this...maybe you can help me. My daughter is very self conscious with the fact that she is a vegetarian. Everytime we go to a restaurant or a fast food place she is always asking if they have vegetarian dishes. She realizes that she is not in the norm of 8 year olds for being a vegetarian. She wonders constantly if there are other vegeterian kids out there who she can connect with. Do you know of any groups of kids that meet so that they can talk about being vegan or vegetarian? She feels like an outsider and would like to connect with other kids like her. Would like to know your input. thanks!
1 person likes this
8 Mar 07
I don't know of any groups for vegetarian kids. It is even harder for my daughter as there are no other vegetarians in her school let alone vegans. Fortunately my boyfriends kids are also vegan so she has someone she can talk to about it. Maybe it is worth looking on the net for veggie childrens sites, I will have a look too and if I see any I iwll let you know.
• United States
9 Mar 07
Thank you...I thought about starting a local group and that way I can get educated as well. Thanks again for your answer.
@lpipe0240 (1161)
• United States
16 Mar 07
I am surprised most people are upset you do not give them sugar. I would think meat would be a larger issue. Meat is a natural source of protein. Sugar, while it is needed, you can get it from some fruits. Just curious but how does your family get protein in your diet? :-)
1 person likes this
16 Mar 07
Sugar isn't needed in our diet at all, what makes you think we nee dit? We get protein from beans and pulses.
@babykay (2131)
• Ireland
17 Mar 07
Well done Michelle D, I think this is a great way to bring up your kids. I am trying to do the same, I have just one infant and I am shocked at the fact that it is considered necessary to add sugar to baby food, supposedly suitable from 4 months! no surprises that there is an epidemic of childhood obesity, pcos, type 2 diabetes etc. As for meat products - don't get me started. Some seriously deluded people emulate giving sugary foods such as carbonated drinks and sweets with spoiling their kids. yeah right, spoiling their teeth and metabolism as well as setting them up for a lifetime of health problems. Well done again
1 person likes this
@astromama (1221)
• United States
17 Mar 07
I will only give my son natural sugars instead of refined, and no meat at all. I don't consider it cruel, I think it's in his best interest. I don't want him to never ever get anything sweet, but I certainly don't want to raise a child who is constantly jonesing for sugar. I think modified treats on occasion will be a great balance.. that way he won't have to 'miss out' on birthdays and such, but we won't be consuming the nasty white stuff either.
1 person likes this
@dbcraff (162)
• United States
17 Mar 07
Well I think some people feel that way because they don't believe sugar can affect how children behave. I was one of those once. Until a friend of mine who has 2 boys with ADHD told me she doesn't allow her boys to have alot of sugar because of the way that it affects them. I didn't believe her until I saw it first hand one day. Now I pay more attention to how much sugar I give my kids and their is definitely a difference. Good sugars that are in fruit are much better for them anyway!! Alot of people that tend to feel that way have never experienced a child high on sugar that has ADHD.
1 person likes this
@bluewings (3857)
8 Mar 07
I don't know about others ,but I could have done without meat,not sugar.I don't count the daily calorie intake,but I know I eat healthy food.I can't do without sugar where it is necessary.However,I can use a 'low calorie sugar substitute' to give up sugar.It's a little bitter towards the end ,but that's okay as long as I get some sweetner.
1 person likes this
8 Mar 07
You would be much better off eating sugar itself than sweetners they are all really unhealthy. Sugar might cause diabeties and make you put on weight but at least they don't cause cancer.
1 person likes this
• United States
16 Mar 07
Neither is cruel. Meat and Sugar are both terrible for children who are still developing and growing. When I have children they will not eat either. There are a lot of natural/vegan treats that are just as yummy and they don't have white sugar.
1 person likes this
@polachicago (18716)
• United States
10 Mar 07
raw chocolate - raw chocolate as the healthy diet
I think your kids are lucky.As long as they have fruits, they are ok. I think that your kids can live long and healthy life. You are very smart mother. I have bags with "freeze dry" fruits . It stays fresh for long time and it is so good. Natural sugar is the best. You can give your kids small size dark chocolate or raw chocolate.
1 person likes this
@shedii (1486)
• India
8 Mar 07
Not giving meat to children is fine if you are pure vegetarian & want your children to be the same. But whats wrong with sugar? I mean it would be cruel not to allow children to eat dishes with sugar. Eating sugar too much is bad, but a little is fine.
@Thomas73 (1467)
• Switzerland
9 Mar 07
No offense meant, Michelle, but I really think that a vegan diet poses a serious health problem to children. You may have your reasons to be a vegan as an adult, but your children should be given a balanced diet. I know that I'm saying this to no avail, but I thought I'd share my view -- which happens to be that of most nutritionists.
@hcromer (2710)
• United States
9 Mar 07
I think that when you are a kid you need a lot of protein. If they can get a lot of protein without eating meat then I don't think that depriving them of sugar or meat is bad, in fact it's probably the healthiest choice you could make.
1 person likes this
@yanjiaren (9031)
8 Mar 07
Wellif i had the choice i would love a vegan diet. Somany people in countrieslike Japan live fine on a vegan diet. I am afraid to say iam not as good as you on this front because i never had a settled enough hbomelife..even now iam allover the place so cannot really implement a strict diet of sorts..I definately donot judge you,on the contrary i admire your sense of moral values to the environment and your loving care of your children. I wish i could be more like you..
1 person likes this
@CRiley27 (983)
• United States
9 Mar 07
Personally, I don't think either is cruel. Too much sugar is just bad for them. And because you are a vegan I see why you don't give them meat,which is fine. For the nay sayers about the sugar, when their kids come over pump them full of pixie sticks and see wha happens. Just kidding. :)
1 person likes this
• Austria
15 Mar 07
I don't give my kids meat and I try to limit the sugar intake. It's not necessarily the sugar that's bad it's the fact that most candy has food colors and artificial crap too, and that stuff is much worse than plain sugar. I love this place, it tells you what all the crap in the food really is. And talks about artificial sugars too. http://www.ukfoodguide.net/enumeric.htm
1 person likes this
@kadugudi (200)
• India
8 Mar 07
Both are Good, nothing is cruel
@cdparazo (5765)
• Philippines
8 Mar 07
I would really have to say giving them no sugar at all. I have no problems for any kids being brought up as vegans which I really think is ideal if only parents are also the same. Sweets do add zest to a child's life and day and one of my sweetest childhood memories are those of candies and sweets. I believe in taking things in moderation and giving children sweet streats once in a while won't be bad at all.
• Singapore
8 Mar 07
As long as you are giving them fruits, leaving sugar out is still ok - since there is sugar in fruits. If you are full vegan, make sure you eat mushrooms too since they contain something you need but only found in meat (can't remember what)... but why would you want to refuse your children sugar treat? That's unnecessarily cruel since children are children and sugar, as long as it is not excessive, is not bad at all. Why deprive them of a childhood? :P
1 person likes this
@pidgey (181)
• Philippines
17 Mar 07
if you're children are fund into not taking sugar threats.. then its not cruel...