How do you call your partner?

Philippines
March 21, 2007 2:57pm CST
Do you and your partner call each other with your first names? or do you use some words of endearment like the most common ones we hear couples calling each other like Honey, Baby, Love, Sweetie, Darling, Pumpkin, Teddy Bear, Candy, Cupcake, Dearie, Sweetheart, Honeycrunh, .. etc? This depends on the couple though, but personally I love calling my girlfriend "Baby" and also calls me that way.:P My bother and her girlfriend calls each other "honeycrunch"... and my friend and his girlfriend call each other YAMS (you are my sweetheart)... well, I just love listening to those lovely words when we couples call each other. how about you, do you stick to your first names when you call your partner? or you use some words of endearment? what is it and who suggested to use it? is it you who brought up the topic to your partner or the other way around? do share your thoughts..:P
15 people like this
92 responses
@laltu86 (1249)
• India
21 Mar 07
"Different situation calls for different measures "- you must have heard this phrase bilklion times, what i meant by those words is that we (i and my girl friend) call each other by our maiden names in public but when we are utilizing our intimate moments we use love jagrons to call each other.
• Philippines
22 Mar 07
I got your point, laltu..thanks for your response.. Godbless!
@liranlgo (5752)
• Israel
21 Mar 07
well i do not have a partner right now but when i had one i used to call them: my man' or my partner and between us two we had this silly infantilic childish names for one each other. i also called him: neshama- which is in hebrew..my soul
• Philippines
22 Mar 07
wow! calling your partner "my soul" is just so sweet, liranlgo... hope you'll find a great partner soon.. Godbless!
@greengal (4286)
• United States
21 Mar 07
That is so sweet...my hubby and I do call each other funny stuff..lol He calls me "dummu"(which translates to being plump in our language) and though I'm not that fat he still calls me that..and sometimes dummupie..lol I call him sweetipie, chwtu, sweets, plum ;o) All this talk about names, I'm missing hubby dear now..Hmm I think I will call him,he is at work..lol
2 people like this
• Philippines
21 Mar 07
LOL dummu sounds sweet still, greengal...and yeah, hubby dear is also cute... funny how couples make fun of calling their partners with different cute names.. :P
1 person likes this
• Egypt
21 Mar 07
I call my husband 'habibi' which is my love and he calls me sweetie.
1 person likes this
@maryannemax (12156)
• Sweden
21 Mar 07
i have heard women calling their husbands habibi. it's kinda cute.. like baby talking, too and really sounds sweet. plus, i've heard such endearment in some filipino films, too. and yep, it's truly cute.
1 person likes this
@seamonkey (1976)
• Ireland
21 Mar 07
I think we would pretty much al;ways call each other by our first names.
2 people like this
• South Africa
21 Mar 07
Just like you, we call each other Baby, or the Afrikaans version Baba. Also, sometimes, Liefie, which is Afrikaans for Lovie. But the norm is Baby. I've become so used to it that it just feels strange when he uses my real name or I use his real name! :)
@maryannemax (12156)
• Sweden
21 Mar 07
well, we have our term of endearment. i hate to call my boyfriend just by his name, not sweet at all and i feel like he's not a boyfriend to me if i just call him by his name. it will make the relationship extra special if we call each other with words of endearment. it went on automatically. i can't remember who started who. i just know he treated me as his baby and started calling me one. and since we are pinoys, the word "ko" after each word (which means by the way "mine") is a good word to connect to an endearment word. makes you feel that he/she is yours. and so, since i love to baby talk, baby then became "bebe" and we put the word "ko" after it. so, we call each other bebeko. hehe.
• New Zealand
21 Mar 07
I have a pet name for my partner. I call her BIDDY when we are out and about as it is easier to call her ANNE as there are a lot of ANNE's about. She does not have one for me as there are not many KELVIN'S out there.
1 person likes this
• United States
21 Mar 07
My husband and I call each other Babe.
1 person likes this
@clod0327 (817)
• Philippines
22 Mar 07
I like the term of endearment used by your friend, YAMS. It is so unique and cute. My husband and I call each other “Baby” or “Be” when we are still not married as our term of endearment. He was the one who brought up the topic on how should we call each other and he was the one who suggested “Baby.” After getting married and having a daughter we change our term of endearment and we now call each other “nanay” & “tatay” – it is the tagalog word for mother/mommy & father/daddy.
• United States
21 Mar 07
My husband and I have been married for 12 years and together for 14. The closest we have ever gotten to a term of endearment was "sweetheart." That faded out a few years ago. Your question made me think though how often we don't call each other by name at all. Most people say dear to get their mates attention or what have you but my husband and I just start talking. It is always "hey" or "You." Sometimes we combine the two but mostly we just exist. I guess we never got out of that "you are the only person in my universe" phase.
1 person likes this
• Canada
22 Mar 07
I always call my partner babe, or honey. The only time I use his name is when I'm angry with him lol. He always calls me babe, or sometimes baby depending on his mood. A more recent one is Babygirl lol. I'm still not 100% sure what I think to that
• United States
21 Mar 07
I call my husband Paul T if I am mad at him or hey love of my life if things are good as they most always are. We have been married for 21 years.
@bad1981 (799)
• United States
22 Mar 07
I always call my husband honey and he calls me baby, that is soemthing we have basically done since day 1.
1 person likes this
@slickcut (8141)
• United States
22 Mar 07
My hubby calls me darling,and then also he calls me "punky",i don't know why and someimes he calls me his little tooter...I call him honey or babe...His name is Walter so sometimes for kicks i call him "wallet" heehee
@rekhum (2420)
• India
21 Mar 07
I call her babe.And she calls me honey.I think we have a neat nicks.
• United States
22 Mar 07
I love it when my bpyfriend calls me baby no matter what we are doing or where we are. I call hom sweetie.
• Portugal
22 Mar 07
I call my girlfriend beautiful, cherry, honey and princess. And thinking of it I never call her by the name. But since I'm Portuguese I call her in Portuguese.
@mbizmom (237)
• United States
23 Mar 07
My boyfriend and I have been together for about five years now, I call him babe, he calls me "hey." I don't know when I started calling him babe, it just sort of happened. I wish I could remember when he started paging me as "hey", because it is of course irritating and when he wants something he will keep going hey until I answer.
@webbuff (926)
• Philippines
22 Mar 07
I call my partner Honey. its quite a common calling for partners.. classy what i described it. We both choose the name. glad you choose baby, its kindda young and smooth.. hehhe honeycrunch sounds like chocolate lol.. crazy but still ok.
@Penfencer (297)
• United States
21 Mar 07
A pretty good mix of it, really. I call my girlfriend by her first name fairly frequently, but also Baby, Sexy, Lovely, Sunshine, Bright Eyes, and a few others.
1 person likes this