Why horror?

@andyvish (901)
Why do people read horror books? Is it because of the feeling of adrenaline rising or because of the keen interest?
@filmbuff (2909)
Because they are interesting. Honestly most horror books are not all that scary, but they deal with subject matter that is largely ignored. Fantastical situations that take place and meld with the normal world. Try reading some books by Clive Barker, or Anne Rice, they are both really good authors, sorry Stephen King fans, he gets a pass. His books are far too predictable and he doesn't know how to end a story.
I don't read horror books. I watch horror movies once in a while and in the dark of course, just to feel some adrenaline. As for reading, I much more prefer mystery books. They keep my brain engaged, but to each his/her own.
@kenetot18 (452)
maybe because it's exciting and fun! i like horrorS! it makes me concentrate a lot, for me horror books are interesting and not boring, how guys love men's magazine is how i love horror books!
@Shaun72 (15968)
• Palatka, Florida
I think it is a little bit of both with me at least. Reading these books get me to where I finish the book faster because I have to know what is going to happen next.
@5000ml (1923)
• Belgium
I like reading horror books more than I like watching horror movies (but I don't mind watching anything that isn't too gory), I like how the stories are usually never boring and are quite gripping. To be honest I'm not sure why I've always gone for horror books, I've been reading horror and scary stories all my life and I just like them. I like other genres too, though.
@hezoid (2147)
I find then really gripping and interesting! Especially a good Stephen King or something. I guess it's all about escapism, and myabe also there's the thought that depite all the horrow in this world, nothing ever as bad as what goes on in the horror books could harm them, so in an odd way they are comforting since you can be scared but know you are safe.
I love the classic horror stories, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, these are real classic literature. Well written horror stories and great.
@Ravenladyj (22936)
I love horror books, I love horror movies too and the gorier the better as far as I'm concerned LOL...why do I like them? Cause they are exciting, they keep your interest and I'm so NOT a mellow Harliquin romance type person...I AM however mentally disturbed as well as sick n twisted so a good horror is right up my alley LOL
@woobie (88)
I don't like to read horror books. My imagination gets too carried away when I read them. Then I wonder about every strange noise that I hear and stuff like that. So I stay away form those kind of books. Mystery books are my biggest reading interest right now.