Hamster Gender

@Ysera324 (237)
How can you tell a hamster's gender? I just call my hamster a "he" because he looks like a "he" but I'm not sure.. Lol.
@emeraldisle (13141)
Well I know with our hamster it's pretty obvious that he's a he. It's hard to miss the round parts that are there. Now if we had a she it might be harder to tell since nothing is really that obvious. I saw you said you have a she now. Hope you only have the one. I doubt you want babies.
@Ysera324 (237)
I'd want babies. Actually I'm thinking of buying a male partner for her now. Is breeding hamsters not advisable?
@emeraldisle (13141)
To be honest I don't know but I know that it can be a pain to try and do. I've heard stories about babies being eaten and such but I don't know if they are true. I would suggest before trying to breed her that you pick up a book or check the interent for more information on it.
@Ysera324 (237)
I heard about that too but I assumed that if you separate the babies from the parents immediately, it could be avoided. I think the other problem would be the size of the litter. I'm not sure how many babies a single birth can produce but I'll look it up. Thanks for the warning!
@PsychoDude (2018)
• Netherlands
Check the following page: http://www.hamsterhideout.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10517 Text and images included.
@Ysera324 (237)
Thankies!
@Ysera324 (237)
Eeeeppp!! My hamster's a SHE!!
There are ways to tell. I just ask politely. You should read the book "The Language Instinct" because it talks about gender-specific pronouns and all the attempts to come up with a non-gender-specific pronoun that didn't sound dehumanizing like "it" does. I suggest that we all just stop viewing the word "it" as "dehumanizing" (or in this case, dehamsterizing).
@Ysera324 (237)
I guess I just don't like using the word "it" on animals since they could be male or female. Besides, a pet is supposed to be a part of the family so its fitting to call them gender-specific-pronouns. But that's my opinion. =)
@meng23 (146)
Looking in hamster's face is not easy way to detect their gender. You can know their gender by checking their organs. If it has an egg it is a male and if none its a female.
@arsonizta (945)
Hamsters have 2 holes or dots on its rear front side. If the 2 holes are so close to each other, its a girl. if its far apart,(maybe 1cm or 2) its a boy. A male hamster develops its large eggs when it grows, so watch them grow.. Have a heathy petting!