You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if:

@mjsdls (1840)
It never occurred to you to be offended by the phrase, "One nation, under God." You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You've never protested about seeing the 10 Commandments posted in public places. You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You still say "Christmas" instead of "Winter Festival." You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You bow your head when someone prays. You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You stand and place your hand over your heart when they play the National Anthem. You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You treat Viet Nam vets with great respect, and always have. You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You've never burned an American flag. You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You know what you believe and you aren't afraid to say so, no matter who is listening. You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You respect your elders and expect your kids to do the same. You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You'd give your last dollar to a friend. So are you a true American, I am?
@wolves69 (756)
Amen sister! I'm an American, proud of it, and will be until the day I die. I took an oath to defend the nation from all enemies both foreign and Domestic. I believe in the laws of the nation, and that change has to take place when the laws change. However, these laws are fundamental in human nature and some cannot be abridged by PC politicians. To paraphrase John Jay, the Fist Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, America is founder under Christian ideals...My kids have no problem with correcting others who don't pay proper respect to the flag or to any vet for that matter. We are a nation with religious freedom, but not a nation free of religion. I will never say winter festival or happy holidays for Christmas and I will not be offended if someone says Happy Hanuka, or another traditional holiday greeting, but mine is Christmas. I may or may not recognize the validity of other faiths, but respect their right to worship as they please, but if they break the law, I'll be the first to turn them in for the benefit of society...American society. I will not make any excuses for being an American. I am who I am. I was blessed with the gift of being an American. I give my money, and my time to help others in the world who do not like the ideals or the country that I am proud of, but I persist. I've traveled the world, and respect each country, but recognize the need for any country to defend itself against those who want to see harm against them. Others may disagree, but that is through their eyes. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I still call my elders sir, and ma'am, out of respect and expect the younger generation to do the same, although it is politically incorrect to do so. My children understand this, and when they make a mistake, they will understand that every action has a reaction. I also take responsibility for their actions while they are under my care and not blame others for my own transgressions/faults. My kids still know and recite the pledge of allegiance and they even fought the school (by themselves) to reinstate the pledge when the board said it would save time for more teaching. I will not wish anyone of my fellow countrymen happy cinco de mayo day...why? Why in Spanish? I'm American, and the day to celebrate is 4th of July in this country. Not the 5th of May. On top of that, I place flags on graves and attend ceremonies on Memorial Day. To my family, its a solemn occasion, not just a day off. My Dad was a Vietnam Vet, my father-in-law was a Vietnam Vet. They knew people who lost their lives during that conflict to prevent world wide communism. Although, not of that generation, I do believe they were winning the war and it was the politicians who lost it for the US. Sounds familiar. If it wasn't for the soldier, you wouldn't have the freedoms we can condemn today. You hit a note with me mjsdls. It might be the mood I am in right now, but I believe that we are the actual majority in the US; however, we are not vocal enough.
@mamacathie (3929)
That is so good. I am a true American and proud of it. Thanks for this discussion.
@oldiebut (859)
You take the first step on the slippery slope when you try and define "true" anything. Does the fact thta anyone disagree with one of your notions make them a "false" American? If so, you have eliminated a significant portion of your population.
@estherlou (5017)
I think this is a great list and I believe all of them! So, I'm a True American and proud of it! I'm also white...does that count for anything? LOL
@Shaun72 (15968)
• Palatka, Florida
I am to. This is great. I want to print this out.