Is gas costing you an arm and a leg yet?

Gas costing you an arm and a leg? - It is already over $3 U.S. dollars per gallon here in Georgia and it's still May! About 10 years ago, I could fill up my little car for about $10, and it cost me $30 yesterday!!! Will it be $4 or $5 per gallon in June?
Gas is already over $3 U.S. dollars per gallon here in Georgia and it's still May! About 10 years ago, I could fill up my little car for about $10, and it cost me $30 yesterday! Will it hit $4 or $5 per gallon this summer?
@shades63 (19)
I gave up a kidney at the pump yesterday or so it felt. The gas prices are getting outragous and it will only get worse. what we ne to do is go to alternative fuels, or electric vehicles. I know it is getting to the point that fuel is about the same price as the minimum wage, which makes it hard to fill up at the pump. The whole weeks pay goes in to the tank.
@14missy (3185)
In Australia petrol has been costing an arm and leg for a few years. It costs me over $50 to fill my car. This is about $1.35/ litre. I think there are four litres to a gallon so it is over $5/gallon. I hope my math is correct! Anyway it is very expensive and a lot of people are resorting to 4 cylinder cars to save on fuel. Hope it doesn't get any worse but no doubt it will!
I am in South Central PA. Gas here just hit $3 the other day. We filled up our tank and it cost us just about $50. We have a Kia Optima which has a v6 engine which we didn't really want but we kind of didn't have much of a choice when we bought it. I just wish that someone would come out with an all-electric car. From what I have heard it has already been done but they aren't happy with it because it doesn't go as fast as a gas-guzzling car. Wouldn't bother me- I always drive the speed limit or at least close to it because I have kids and their safety to consider. I have also heard all of this big deal being made about fuel with corn but all of a sudden everyone just stopped talking about that idea cold-turkey. Just a few months ago they were soooooo excited about this new and more efficient way to fill up our cars. So what is going on here? Are the gas companies buying these people out to shut them up? As for Europe and some other countries- I have noticed that their gas prices are way higher than they are here in the US. But the thing about that is that those countries make available mass public trasportation so that everyone is still able to get around. I don't know how your PT works but I bet it is a little better than it is here! Here in the US you have to live in a big city to have a chance. The only public transportation we have are cabs (which cost a fortune!) and buses. The buses are unreliable- you either have to get to work at least an hour early or chance being very late. They don't go very far either. My boyfriend works about 20 minutes away from our house but no buses go anywhere near his work. There are a lot of other businesses that deal with that issue. It is just so frustrating that no one in the government realizes how much these gas prices are hurting our economy. To go on vacation this year it is going to cost us around $400 just to drive. We are staying with family so we don't need to worry about accomodations but just the idea that ALL of our vacation money (and more) is going towards driving is really stressful. Many people, including our family will have to sacrifice- buying less food for their family, less to spend at christmas time, less to spend on birthdays, less to spend on vacation, less for trips to amusment parks...everyone is going to be spending less money so that they can afford to get to work, go to the grocery store.
What a wonderful detailed response you gave here. I have heard about the electric and hybrid cars a little bit. To me it sounds like a great investment to pay extra for a car that is going to save you enough just in gas over the years to pay for itself, and possibly be cheaper in the long run to own and drive. Drop our pride and carpool? I know it can be inconvenient, but probably more should...
@molusk (857)
In my country, ten years ago, a liter of premium gasoline is only 13 pesos. Now, a liter of premium gas hovers at forty pesos per liter. Now, gas prices increases week after week, like crazy. I really would like to see the day when we can have ordinary water to run our cars and power the industry. And let those sheiks drink their oil to their bulging stomachs desire.
I'm lucky it's only $2.91 where I live. Last time I filled up the minivan it cost $67. If it keeps going up we're going to have to cut back on all of our running around and stay home more often.
@Willowlady (10666)
I certainly hope that they come to their senses and we do too. We need to stop filling our tanks and only put in what we really need for the time being. We need to plan on days were we do not buy gas and that we don't drive. Weekends are especially good for staying home. Let us hope it does not get that high. More of the minimum wage folk will not be able to drive to work and that could cause alot of problems.
@miryam (6507)
wELL IN iTALY WE PAY IN € AND IN M.Q. NOT GALLONE i DONT KNOW A CALìCULATIR, BUT SPET MOST........ AND I DONT CONT NOTHING I MUST PAY..........THIS IS THE END BYE MYRY
@byfaithonly (10716)
Oh the way it's going I'm sure it will, I've seen it around here already over $3.50 a gallon. I haven't filled my tank in a couple months as it just seems I never have that much at one time - just limit very much the amount of driving I do.
@sigma77 (5385)
It is $3.39 here last week (Michigan). It will go to $4 and then $5, but when is the question. It might spike above $4 and then come back down this year. There are so many variables that could send prices higher.
@inked4life (4226)
I am in Georgia too and where we are it's around $3.05 to $3.15 depending on which gas station you go to. I fully expect it to be over $4 before the end of summer. We are fortunate in that my wife has like a 10 minute commute to work and I don't travel too far from home so we don't have to fill up on too regular a basis...can't imagine how much it's costing people who have a longer commute to and from work
@sunshine4 (8707)
I am in NY and it is over $3. It cost me over $40 to fill up my van yesterday! We are driving to Florida this summer, I wonder if it will be cheaper for us to fly!
it is 3.35 here in west virginia and i do look for it to go up to $4 before long the thing that drives me crazy is the oil companies are making record profits they ned to pass at leat a little of it down to the customers dont you think?
I remember when gas was around 70 cents per gallon, and I always dreamed for it to hover around $1 or get back down there to it. Then I said well I'd be happy if it dropped back to around $2. To see it soaring like this is awful. Do those that gouge prices not see the devastating impact this has as that means people have less money to spend on tourism, exports, imports, travel overseas, and the like?
never mind tourism ect what about just getting to work every day???
@hoghoney (3749)
No, it is costing me an arm and two legs and maybe half of a butt cheek, LOLOLOL. sorry I just had to say that. yes it is we are paying $3.58 a gallon right now and the reason that I say what I did is because I deliver newspapers where I live at and right now with the price of gas we just walk our route but it is ok because we can walk it as fast as we can drive it but it save on my gas. I hope that it dont get up to 4-5 dollars a gal.
Do you have a leg (or buttocks) to stand on then? With all of the extra walking, I would guess not!
@hoghoney (3749)
yea we decided to walk on nice days so that we can save on our gas for days when it is raining. but the walk is good for us also.
@mummymo (23707)
I have read lots of discussion on the price of petrol (gas) in America and all I will say is that you guys do not realise how lucky you are! Here in the UK petrol costs about 4.50 pounds per gallon which If I am right works out at between $9 -$10 a gallon! How do you think we feel reading about how high the price of gas is? That is only one of many reasons that lots of things are cheaper for you guys, like electronics, shoes, cars etc! Maybe instead of complaining you should count your blessings! I am sorry if this sounds abrupt - it is not meant to but really your gas is at less than half the price of ours! xx
Maybe we are spoiled a little bit (or a lot) ha ha. Anyway, regardless of what the price is where you live, when you see it going from $1 to $2 to $3 and up, heading for $4 and $5 it is so tough for many of us on a fixed income when you're used to paying $100 to $200 for fuel, and now it is close to $500 a month just for gasoline!
@mummymo (23707)
yeah I can understand where you are coming from - my other half was in Oregon working for a couple of months and he said it didn't even cost $1 a gallon then! He works a 30 - 40 minute drive each way away and it costs us an absolute fortune! Gas costs more than our mortgage and insurance put together! Again I am sorry if I sounded abrupt before I really, really didn't mean to sweets! xxx
@brendalee (6083)
My boyfriend works at a gas station and the gas there is $3.02/gallon right now. He talked to a guy who delivers the gas and he says they expect it to be at $4 by the 4th of July and maybe $4.50 by the end of summer. Its crazy.
It is so, so crazy. Guess most of us will be grilling out at home for Memorial Day ha ha since we can't go anywhere.
@sweetlady10 (3617)
Gas price is rising just like anything. In my place it is now litlle more than $3:50. I think soon it will cross $4. This summer will be little tough for traveller. I wish the public transportation would be strong. The gas price would affect the US economy a lot. Doller value is already going down. Let's hope for the best.
Yes unfortunately it looks like it will be $4 or $5 soon.
@lucy02 (5017)
Yes. Its over $3.00 here now too and I live in Mississippi. I think its just going to keep going up and up. Something has got to be done.
@ssh123 (31096)
In India, the gas could have been cheaper, but the government taxes are prohibitively exhorbitant. Therefore for the ordinary common man, gas is prohibitively expensive.
I'll put it this way, it's been so long since I've filled my tank, I couldn't tell you the dollar amount it would take. I drive a small buick v-6, and $20 gives me less than a half-tank. Sad, ain't it?
@dopey22girl (3324)
Here it is over $3.30 per gallon, and constantly on the rise! I am very unhappy about this! Then again, who is happy about it? I have heard that this summer it is supposed to get up to $4 per gallon. I believe it!