Booster seat laws, do you agree?

I know here where I live we have a law where the child has to be in the booster seat until the age of 8 or 80lbs. I remember being five years old and sitting in the regular seat and buckling up. I mean, anything is great to keep the kid safe..but how do you feel about the child being in the booster until the age 8?
@mememama (3077)
I think it's a great law, it is a little inconvenient but it's for the childs safety. Sure I used to not even wear a seatbelt as a child but as we go on in time, we know what's safer and learn from all of that. A child needs to be in a booster seat (I choose 5 point harness as ya know from a previous discussion) to have the belt in your car fit properly in case of an accident. Boosts child up providing a higher sitting height, which allows the adult lap and shoulder belt to fit properly Used Forward Facing Only -All children who have outgrown child safety seats should be properly restrained in booster seats until they are 4'9" tall. -Can only be used with the adult lap and shoulder belt. Never with a lap belt only. -Provides the child a higher sitting height, which allows the adult lap and shoulder belt to fit properly. -The shoulder belt should cross the chest, resting snugly on the shoulder, and the lap belt should rest low across the upper thighs. Never up high across the stomach. -Styles include high-back, no back, and base only. A high-back booster provides head support not provided by vehicle seats with low backs or no head restraints. -The mid-point of the back of the child’s head (ear level) should not be above the vehicle seat back cushion or the back of the high back booster. http://pediatrics.about.com/od/carseats/g/booster.htm
Thank you for the information mememama, that was quite interesting:)
@toyhamarz (124)
I can remember being 4 or 5 with both me and my twin sister in the front passesnger seat with the seat belt over us! But the age of 8 sounds so high. I can understand til 5 maybe, just to keep the kids in the back. But then again, ALOT of things have changed since I was a kid. And while sometimes it feels like an unnecassary hassle, they've had at least 20 years to do tests and statistics and whatnot. If they made it a law I suppose they had good reasons.
I agree. I think to most people 8 does seem like a pretty big kid to be sitting in a booster seat..lol!
We have that law as well..and when it first came out i thought it was totally rediculous..and constantly complained..well my son is 5 almost. and im glad hes in it and my nieec is 7 and she is a smalll 7..so i like her needing to be in it..makes me feel better..lol
It may just be me but I feel like when I was younger, younger kids werent as small as they are now. I see some seven and eight year olds and Im like they gotta be five!
@TinaCL (429)
I can't really comment on the safety concerns because I don't have statistics, but I'm remembering how I felt at age 6,7, and 8. At that age, kids don't want to feel little, they want to feel grown up! Thinking back to how I felt at that age, I hated the booster seats and I wanted to sit like the grown ups. I was able to sit in the regular seat and buckle up just fine. If some law had forced me to sit in one of those seats I'd feel belittled (ironic isn't it). And it would make me want to rebel and throw a tantrum. Interesting, now that I'm 25, I wouldn't mind being 7 again...
I sure wouldnt mind being 7 again either. I know, little kids are so anxious to get out of their car seats/booster seats and get into a big person seat..lol.