How attached do you get to characters in your stories?

For those of you who don't write, or do but read too..same question, lol. I get pretty fond of them, and I miss them after I stop writing/or they get killed off in stories. But though I know I'll miss them, I'll be able to revisit them anytime I want (re-reading). How about you all?
@k1tten (2320)
I actually do get attached to my characters. The ones I have now are really pretty interesting and remind me of a few of my friends. Some of them are based off of people I've seen or had contact with.
@pyewacket (44031)
I think any creative person will get attached to the project they are working on, especially if it's been a long time one..so I often will feel a bit depressed when one of my projects is done with...although of course the great thing about writing, there are always the re-writes to get back to...Right now I'm in the midst of doing what I call the "director's cut" version of a story I did quite awhile back--by director's cut I mean adding a lot more to it--I always get very involved with my stories sometimes...Like the one I'm working on has the Civil War as the background...when I first started to write it..to get in the mood of it and of that time I re-watched the movie Glory I don't know how many times...plus re-watched the Ken Burns series "Civil War"--instead of humming "modern" songs I was singing songs from the Civil war period!!--And I do have a lot of old tapes with that music on. And I think like most writers, we do tend to be a bit uh...daft..LOL..I don't do this in the outside world but I'll often talk to myself "in Character" to get the right sound and voice of the character---how they speak, the favorite phrases they might use. Then I come to those stuck times...I related elsewhere, how sometimes I come to a stuck period...I just don't know where the story is going...I have the beginning, know how I want it to end..but I'm stuck somewhere in the middle..and nothing is happening...well, my goodness...I must dream my stories...since every once in awhile I'll wake up from a sound sleep, grab the notebook I have nearby me and scribble ....hours later, when I'm awake, I will re-read what I wrote in my half dazed state and it's so on the money that I don't have to change a thing.. So is that involved or is that involved..uh, yes...I get involved and attached to my characters, and my stories in general
Ooh I do that! Only I'll like..read out a scene to my little brother, or my dog. TO get a better feel of the certain character. And lol, perhaps we are daft. But as Robin Williams said..we only get a little spark of insanity, and we should never lose it. I think the daftness helps us with our creative work. Gives it, its own unique process of creation, you know? And after a project's done, there's always a new project right? :) I think we get attached because we do love what we do so much.
@pyewacket (44031)
Speaking of our daftness....LOL I love these words I had come across in a book I read and I wrote them down on an index card and have it next to my bed: ..."Authors are like actors; we get under the skin of our characters inhabiting their lives for awhile...writing is a lot easier than spending a lot of time in a therapist's chair...cheaper too. Authors get to parade their neurosis in public disguised as a story.." And here's a quote from the recently deceased author Kurt Vonnegart .."Writers get to treat their mental illnesses everyday..." When I read those I just laughed out loud...
Haha, oh I remember reading those. They're very true too. I guess we're the type of crazy people, that folks tend to love lol.
@patgalca (15500)
• Orangeville, Ontario
Some of my characters have a little bit of me in them. The female characters, anyway. I get right inside their head and become them. I will talk out scenes out loud. But I also give my characters some traits that I have, some likes and dislikes. Or I make them like I wish I was. Our story is our baby. It is a part of us. We are a part of the story. We cannot be separated from the two. We write what we know. We write from personal experiences. We write from our fears and our hopes and our dreams. How can we not become attached to our characters? We ARE the characters.
Excellent point Pat :)
Characters in my stories ar very important to me. It is amazing how much fun I have creating them. They make me laugh a lot when I make them do funny things, because I can picture that character actually doing it in my head. So, in short, I get really attached to my characters.
I always thought of that as one of the perks of being a writer. When we're writing or reading over what we've written..we can see the events happening in or heads. Hear the voices of our characters. Sometimes it's almsot like being in the same area as the characters..and they become like someone we know. The next thing to virtual reality or actually experiencing it, right? ^_^
@Bizziebod (3526)
I love reading books and it's very rare when I haven't got one at the side of my bed. I've just finished reading all four of Dan Brown's books (Da Vinci Code) and always feel sad when I get to the end of a book, never mind if one of them get's killed off. I guess it's because you've enjoyed their company and their adventures for awhile and you kind of get attached!
I do - for those I read. I normally immerse myself fully into the story so that I become them (only for the male characters of course :P). Depending on how good the book is, I might get over with it the next day, or days.
@ElicBxn (61055)
I get very attached, in fact, I write about the same folks all the time.
• Japan
For me, I always attached with the characters in my story. I was 'involved' with every character, because when i'm design them, i put the part of me on it. Well, sometimes my characters is the one that becoming my dream. And when i design the stories it made me more involved with it. While I'm writing the stories, it makes me more involved with it, because there's a new idea how make something for my chara development. Rite now, i was planning to made a new stories, and the chara is always in my head. Though rite now i dont have time for writing, but when all these matters is done, i'm gonna write it. I was easy to involved with the characters in the book that i read. That's why, when i reading books, i can cry, laugh, shy, and sometimes critize the character's behavior.
@emeraldisle (13145)
I write characters for RPG's doing them by email, so it's kind of like writing a book with many different authors doing different characters. Yes some of them I get very attached to. Since many of them I create from scratch I get very attached. If for some reason a game ends or I have to end a character yes I miss those characters and the life they had.
@Willowlady (10666)
Since I lost so much in a housefire I though about whether I would collect books again. There are some I cannot do without so I am beginning to get them again. Anita Blake is one character that I am fond of. I also re read some of my books, well at least I did. Wish me luck in creating a new library collection of my favorites.
I become way too attached to my characters; especially when working on a long story or novella. They become friends to me and I am always amazed at the situations they get themselves into. Two of my favorite characters were killed off--it had to happen eventually and I keep wondering if I could resurrect them somehow. Maybe I should just write a prequel.