A child's reasoning and wriggling

@cdparazo (5768)
I told my parents to allow only one hour for my 5-year old daughter to play in the computer. However, when she used up her 1 hour, she called me in the office and asked again if she could still play with the computer. I told her NO and added that its her nap time already and that she must sleep now. However, my daughter reasoned that the she needs to play with computer more so that she would get sleepy enough to really take her nap. To further added, 'Mom I can't get sleepy without really playing with the computer'. In the end, I still said no and told her that she would no longer be able to play EVER with our computer at home unless she takes her nap in the afternoon.
• New Zealand
Good on you alot of parents dont stick to what they say and they end up with alot of problems. If you say an hour you mean an hour. Just a suggstion next time put a clock in with her and put some sort of coloured marking on when an hours up or show her so she knows.
@latsmom (824)
My daughter is 4 now, and does not nap durig teh day, if she did she would keep me up all night but if this is your routine I think you did the right thing buy stickig to it and not lettig her get her own way, as at this age they push you as far as they can to test the boundaries, my daughter constantly tell me that she can't clean her room unless she has some treats for energy, although it is funny it is highly frustrating when we can't get our children to do as we wish, persevere with your routine and keep telling her no, she will realise soon enough that she is not able to push you any further to get extra computer time and stop asking.
@cdparazo (5768)
I agree that children has really the tendency to push us and see how far they can go or get away with. Sometimes, it would be easier less hassle to just say yes, but I just couldn't no matter how persistent she is. I do appreciate her efforts and wriggling though because it does show some initiative and creative thinking on the child's part. LOL! Thanks very much for your suggestion and for responding!