Is this selfish or not?

Last night megan and karisma went to the store. Megan bought 2 soda's one for each of them and me a little Debbie cake. When they came back they sat at the table to eat. I said you forgot something. Not to any one in general. I placed my glass on the table and went to check on something. karisma asked what soda I wanted. Megan had my favorite champagne cola,kk had regular cola. While I went to answer. Megan took her soda and placed it between her legs and continued to eat. Kk saw it I did not. Then I heard her say that was very rude of you to do. I then went to find out what happened. karisma was very pissed at this behavior. I was lost in how she could do this after being given so much from me. I said it's something I am missing. So I just told kk to stop talking and leave it alone. I just said to eat do the chores and get ready for bed. Now please give me your views on this. I will have both girls read this to learn something it they can. I can say honestly I am still a bit teed over this. I never kept her from anything in this house to have her behave this way.
@Mickie30 (2631)
I understand how you feel because I'd be upset too, but it's not worth holding a grudge over. Life's too short to make your little girls suffer for this. At least they did buy you something from the shop. I think if you tell them how you felt that will be enough. I personally don't agree in punnishing your children.
I have spoke to her last night about this. She is 12 years old. That is old enough to know that was wrong. I have taken her in my home and she has been treated as my own daughter. I am really trying to figure out why she would so this. I have spent 150.00 in walmart. chips,puddings,over5 cartons of juice 3 gallons of milk etc. I have spent more money since she has been here. I have never treated her anyway other than as a daughter. I am trying to get custody of this poor child. If you pm me I could tell you more. She just wrote a letter to my daughter (13) to ask me to send her home. I won't do this. It's just another set back in her recovery of a normal life. Thanks for understanding.
@lifeluver (743)
My only suggestion is that you ask megan why she did that with her soda. Did she not want to share? If this is the case, why not? You haven't mentioned the age of these children so I can't base any advice on their understanding of the situation. It seems from your post here that you have taught these children to share by doing so yourself so I don't believe that the fault is yours. Another thing you might consider is asking megan how she would have felt if you had done the same thing to her? Would she feel hurt or left out? Probably. I think that is the lesson that needs to be learned her - everything we do has consiquenses, either on ourselves or on others. It is up to us to act responsibly so as not to hurt others. This is how I feel...I hope it helps Blessed be
She is 12 and her mother just left her in my home. I have been taking care of her since then. I was to call cps Monday to pick her up. She is under a lot of stress. This still would not cause her to do this. I have given this child so many reasons to know she is loved. I will talk to her later after The house is straight. My roommate left so much garbage to clean up.
You're right - her stress isn't an excuse. It is, however, a sign that she's seeking something. What, I don't know but I do know that children speak to adults completely differently than how we might expect. Perhaps this was a test for you so she would see how you would react. Also, perhaps she didn't get much from her mother and therefore, for some reason, felt the need to "protect" what she had (the soda). You must also remember - at 12, she is just starting a woman's favorite part in their life (sarcasm) -- becoming a teenager. This is a confusing time anyway and add to that, she's adapting to your way of doing things. Trust me....old habits really do die hard. Please continue to have patience with this beautiful girl. She really needs someone solid in her life - someone who is consistant even when she isn't. blessed be
Your right she is longing for something. I did what you recommended and yes she was not caring at all. I am working on getting her to study some more. It's hard when this child is not in your custody. They just dropped her and left her. That is cold in itself. :)