Should teenagers who commit horrible acts of crime be charged as an adult ?

Should the age of a person really determine how they are charged ? If a teenager commits a crime that is horrible should they be let off easier because of their age ? Is age really that big of a factor in determining if one will do it again ? What are your views on teens that commit crimes such as murder but not being charged the same as an adult who would commit the same crime .
@villageanne (8554)
I am sure this will be a debateable subject. My feelings are as follows. I think society has a problem of not taking responsibility for our own actions and choices. Today, a good lawyer can get almost anyone off a major crime by blaming the parents for the way they were raised or saying they were abused at a young age and that it to blame. I think we should all take responsibility for our own decisions and deal with the consequences. Nobody is to blame for my bad choices but me. I admit that and I think others should too. Now, for your question. I think if there is enough evidence to prove that an underage person killed someone on purpose then that person should be held responsible for those actions. PERIOD.
@Ravenladyj (22936)
i think it depends really...I mean if a 7 or 8 yr old kid does something henious then I wouldnt charge them as an adult but I would definately charge them, get them psychologically evaluated along with doing a background run on the parents etc and take it from there.....HOWEVER if the kid is 13-14 yrs old and does something heinous I would do a psych eval. and if they are sound in the head I'd charge them as an adult without a doubt.... What many ppl dont seem to realize is the fact that kids today, teens and preteens are actually 3-4 yrs AHEAD of what we were at that age, not just physically but also mentally...so a 13 yr old kid today IS NOT like a 13 yr old kid was 20 yrs ago and IMO that needs to be taken into account along with the fact that LIFE today isnt like what it was back then....its far more advanced now in comparison and that too is a huge factor as far as I'm concerned..
Well that all depends on how old they were if they were 13 or 14 I dont think they should be charged the same way a adult is because they dont know as much as a adult does and they are still just a kid. And it all depends on what type of trouble they get it.
@kelly60 (4548)
This is really a tough call because there are so many things that come into play. It depends on how serious the crime, the age of the teens, whether or not they are mentally aware of what they are doing. Sometimes pranks may get carried away and an early teen may get carried away, leading to something beyond any intentions. I do not think they should necessarily spend years in prison for a prank gone wrong. On the other hand, I do not think that they should get off with no punishment either. As I said, it depends on the age and the circumstances. In the event where the teen were involved in something like a premeditated murder or something along those lines, I think that a psychiatric evaluation would be in order, and then the teen should maybe be charged as an adult.