My computer is running so slow

I forgot how to get it organized. I think the qord id reconfigure something like that. I did it once and now I can't remember how. I went to start and click something to get all the colored lines to working. Please help me I can't take the slowness any more. Thanks
@unishwetabh (1032)
Sorry but i couldn't get anything about your problem. Maybe if you explain it in some more words i could get it properly.
I believe it's call defragmenting the computer.
ok.........lol.......so basically you wanted to de-fragment your hard drive??
@tad1fan (3373)
I know what you mean.....mine will run good and than all of a sudden getr right slow.....I've tried everything and nothing works.....I'll be looking here for some answers too.....LOL
@irishmist (3819)
First you want to empty all your cookies, and do a disk clean up, then defrag the computer. Also don't forget to get rid of down loaded programs that you don't use or never really wanted in the first place. There could also be hidden programs running in the background, and slowing down your computer. You need to go in and find the problem. There is many things that can slow down your computer. Only you know what is in your computer. Maybe someone you know can help you. This process is not something that is easy to explain. I have learned to fix many of my own computer problems. Once a month I spend ( yes ) one day cleaning out all the junk. But in the end it is worth it, and yes it is an never ending cycle. It's just like cleaning a house. It never goes away.
If I delete cookies won't i lose stuff I am using? Like fire fox saving my passwords for me. Can you tell me how do delete cookies? Thanks
@Flight84 (3050)
Mine is too and it is driving me crazy! I went to the help menu of Windows XP and followed the directions from there. I'm not very good with technical stuff so I am always way cautious.