Can you ever unring that bell?

Once your kids get out in the public, it's inevitable that they're exposed to all kinds of bad influences. And, just because you're careful raising your children, doesn't mean that everyone follows the same example for their own kids. This is especially true when it comes to foul language. Has your child ever picked up a swear word from school or one of the neighbors kids? How did you stop them from using it? What techniques would you recommend for parents going through the same situation?
@shannon76 (1232)
Well, my son hasn't even said any words yet so I don't have to worry about that just yet lol but I am sure it will come. However, my mother use to run a daycare inside the home and I remember what she use to do with the kids that would curse. She would just ignore it the first couple of times. If they continued she would calmly say "that isn't a word that is nice to use and we do not say those words in this house". If they continued (which most didn't) then she would either spank (if the parents allowed spanking) or time out. She said that she ignored it the first couple of times only because if you reacted right away to it, then that would basically let the child know that he/she is getting a reaction out of you (either bad or good, doesn't matter) and that is mostly why they say things like that, for attention. So usually (and I stress the word usually) it works when you ignore it because then they don't get a reaction out of you so they will more then likely stop using it.
@ravinskye (8242)
So far the worst thing my kid has picked up is a smart mouth. She starts preschool next year so I'm sure she will learn more. We're still working on the smart mouth.